Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

FIXED
Gordon2308
Hooked

Re: Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

Hi,

Plusnet Hub One | Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 | Last updated 22/03/19.

Is there a later software version or a patch?  If so how do I update?

mort7890
Pro
Fixes: 4

Hi @Darrell1148 and @Gordon2308 Plusnet Hub One | Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.273 however if you read some of the posts you will see that all you require is to request the update message 1535 gives a good indication of how to request the update

Gordon2308
Hooked

Hi @bobpullen 

Can you push the software to me so I can finally re-connect to the 5MHz channels?

RK

@bobpullen

I would like to try the pushed 'fix' to the hub if possible please. I have been following this issue hoping a universal fix would be applied but as it is taking a while (understandably it seems complicated) anything that might help is now worth a try from my perspective.

Brief description of the problem, and how is masquerades itself. What are the symptoms? How frequently does it happen?

5GHz seemingly spontaneously stops working. Initially, 5GHz would stop working and devices would remain connected to the 5GHz network with no internet access but no new devices could connect to the 5GHz network. More recently, internet access is lost but devices can still connect. Only way to restore internet access is restart Hub 1.

2.4GHz is unaffected and continues to provide internet access as normal when 5GHz goes down.

Frequency is utterly random, sometimes weeks can go by with no issue but other times it can happen every few days or rarely twice in the same day.

Do the devices having problems appear to be connected or associated with the hub?  Is the hub status indicator normal/blue when the problem occurs?

Hub status indicator is normal; no obvious association between devices and hub.

Do you have the 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels merged (default setting) or split (different wireless network names)? If the networks are named differently, does the problem only affect the 5GHz network?

Split - only the 5GHz band is affected, 2.4GHz seems unaffected.

Once the problem occurs is it persistent?  Do you have any devices wired to the router and does the problem affect them at the same time?

Once the problem occurs internet access on 5Ghz is permanently lost; it remains this way until Hub is restated by disconnection from mains.

Are you able to reproduce the problem reliably? Do you think you have a way of triggering it? [for example waking a specific device from power save mode]

No. There is no way to trigger the issue.

Is the problem always resolved by rebooting the hub?  If so, how long does it take before problems recur?

Rebooting the hub always resolves the issue so far; problems reoccur randomly in intervals of weeks, days or rarely more than once in a day. No pattern is discernible.

If specific devices are always impacted when problems occur, please provide details of which devices are impacted and which aren't i.e. manufacturer, model, variant and operating system version.

All devices connected to the 5GHz band are affected and once it occurs new devices which connect have no internet access on that band.

The devices I connected on 5Ghz permanently are an Amazon Echo 1 and Amazon Dot (first generation); iPhone 6S occasionally connects to 5Ghz. The problem can occur when these devices are actively being used OR when they are not.

Have the devices experiencing problems recently received any patches that might correspond with the time the issue first occurred?

No. The problem has been ongoing since I got the Hub 1 about 18 months ago or so ago and first tried to use the 5Ghz band.

Please provide a description of your home network setup and all devices in use including whether or not you're using any additional switches, Powerline adapters or wireless access points.

1 x Amazon Echo (gen 1) on 2.4 ghz.

1 x Amazon Echo (gen 1) on 5Ghz.

1 x Echo Dot (gen 1) on 5Ghz.

1 x Amazon Firestick (gen 2) via ethernet.

1 x Iphone 6S on 2.4/5Ghz.

1 x windows 10 laptop 2.4ghz

I have one powerline adaptor to a ethernet connected PC – but this is not the issue as the problem occurs even if I disconnect this.

katz

So, having recently received a new router for my upgraded plusnet account I find that there is a known problem with it and has been for some time! Not happy. Why are you still sending these routers out and to add insult to injury charging for them?

I experience all of the problems as described. One of your helpful operatives talked me through changing the channel which has not helped so far. So now I need to work my way through each channel which was her suggestion.

I work from home, I'm due to deliver some training to clients next week, what is you solution? Why should I have to pay for another router or try making amendments on my account which may or may not solve the issue or reduce the problem. 

I joined plusnet because of the Which recommendation but I'm very surprised that this has supplied under their radar.

mort7890
Pro
Fixes: 4

Hi @katz If you read some previous messages on this page you will I am sure find the solution. On the previous page the same question had been asked and a response was also given

katz

Thanks for the reply @mort7890 .

I didn't really fancy spending my evening trawling through pages of posts to figure out the solution for me. I've plumped for the advice in the first post so at least I can do my day job (hopefully!) with a reduced service that I'm not paying a reduce rate for.

The real issue is that Plusnet should not be issuing routers that are not fit for purpose, especially as they are aware of the issue. 

eskbanker

I'm so glad to have come across this thread, which exactly explains the authentication and 5GHz wifi connectivity loss issues I've experienced since recently starting to use a Hub One!

@bobpullen, please arrange for the revised .273 firmware release to be pushed to my hub.

TomRob

Hi @bobpullen - can I also request the update please. I'm running Plusnet Hub One | Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 and have had the 5GHz channel turned off since i got the router 12 months ago. I recently thought I'd give it a go again to see if it would improve connectivity at peak times which seems very slow (7-10pm) but it still keeps dropping out.

Thanks

katz

Hi @bobpullen - can I also request the update please. I'm running Plusnet Hub One | Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 and have all of the associated problems as described.

Thank you,

Maria

SirReallySam

Hey Bob! Firmware update worked a charm!! No issues since it. Appreciate the help. Do we know when this will be pushed to the general public btw?
IDS35

Hi @bobpullen - I've also been experiencing these issues & would really appreciate the workaround being applied!

1. Brief description of the problem, and how is masquerades itself. What are the symptoms? How frequently does it happen?
    I have problems with wifi calls dropping out, zoom, google meets, etc. This happens on Windows PC and Samsung Mobile phone. Have to use mobile data on zoom calls. This started in March when my daughter started working from home. Upgraded our account to better wifi, what a waste of money.
  2. Do the devices having problems appear to be connected or associated with the hub?  Is the hub status indicator normal/blue when the problem occurs?
    they appear to be connected
  3. Do you have the 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels merged (default setting) or split (different wireless network names)? If the networks are named differently, does the problem only affect the 5GHz network?
    I tried splitting them and using 5G but other devices need to be on the same network and 5G keeps dropping. Now trying with 5G turned off.
  4. Once the problem occurs is it persistent?  Do you have any devices wired to the router and does the problem affect them at the same time?
    Not sure if persistent as give up and use data. We have a storage device wired connections to the router.

5. Are you able to reproduce the problem reliably? Do you think you have a way of triggering it? [for example waking a specific device from power save mode]
    I haven't noticed any specific device patterns correlating with the problem.

6. Is the problem always resolved by rebooting the hub?  If so, how long does it take before problems recur?
    Have not tried rebooting as only shows when in a zoom meeting with no time to reboot.

7. If specific devices are always impacted when problems occur, please provide details of which devices are impacted and which aren't i.e. manufacturer, model, variant and operating system version.
    Not sure, have problems with 2 different windows laptops and mobile phone

8. Have the devices experiencing problems recently received any patches that might correspond with the time the issue first occurred?
    As the problem has been ongoing for a long time & affecting all devices, it's hard to pinpoint any updates that may have affected it.

9. Please provide a description of your home network setup and all devices in use including whether or not you're using any additional switches, Powerline adapters or wireless access points.

One Plusnet Hub One
    2 x Windows 10 laptops

1 x Samsung smart TV
    2 x Chromecast
    2 x Android phones
    1 x Wii game
    1 x Sonos speaker

1 x storage
    1 x Google speaker
    1 x Humax HD Freesat box
    1 x HP printer
2.4 GHz Wireless:SonosZPb8:e9:37:db:03:b8192.168.1.70 
 android-dhcp-9-4c...4c:6a:f6:a3:62:52192.168.1.80 
 Chromecastb0:2a:43:26:1b:81192.168.1.81 
 Google-Home00:f6:20:ef:26:ae192.168.1.113 
 LAPTOP-8730CTAB74:40:bb:8f:28:c9192.168.1.136 
 Galaxy-S9ca:f4:1b:d4:c4:89192.168.1.137 
 Chromecast14:c1:4e:35:3c:8a192.168.1.143 
 COM-MID17c:db:98:f6:58:c4192.168.1.93 
pete_000

Hi @bobpullen ,please could I test the updated firmware also?

Brief description of the problem, and how is masquerades itself. What are the symptoms? How frequently does it happen?

Devices lose their 5GHz connection – cannot access anything over 5GHz or sometimes reports incorrect credentials even though it is correct. Some devices seem to remain connected but very slow.

Do the devices having problems appear to be connected or associated with the hub?  Is the hub status indicator normal/blue when the problem occurs?

Most do and appear to have an IP address from DHCP although some are not able to connect as they report incorrect credentials.

Do you have the 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels merged (default setting) or split (different wireless network names)? If the networks are named differently, does the problem only affect the 5GHz network?

Split with different SSID. Only affects 5GHz as far as I’m aware.

Once the problem occurs is it persistent?  Do you have any devices wired to the router and does the problem affect them at the same time?

I have several devices connected via ethernet and they are always ok.

Are you able to reproduce the problem reliably? Do you think you have a way of triggering it? [for example waking a specific device from power save mode]

I haven’t yet figured out what triggers it.

Is the problem always resolved by rebooting the hub?  If so, how long does it take before problems recur?

Always resolved by a reboot – problems seems to reoccur after a few days. Also disabling and re-enabling 5GHz Wi-Fi seems to help.

If specific devices are always impacted when problems occur, please provide details of which devices are impacted and which aren't i.e. manufacturer, model, variant and operating system version.

It seems to affect mostly iOS devices (mixture of iPads and iPhones currently running iOS 14.2) but also Amazon Fire TV devices have been impacted to a lesser extent.

Have the devices experiencing problems recently received any patches that might correspond with the time the issue first occurred?

Not that I’m aware of. I had been using an alternate router for several months (TP-Link Archer VR900) but that had some other issues (dropping Internet connection) so I have returned to the Hub One (resolved Internet connection issue but 5GHz WiFi problem returned).

Please provide a description of your home network setup and all devices in use including whether or not you're using any additional switches, Powerline adapters or wireless access points.

HubOne

1 x 8 port switch connected to HubOne via ethernet

1 x 5 port switch connected to HubOne via ethernet

3 x Powerline adapters

5 x Windows devices mostly connected via ethernet to switches

4 x iPhones 5 GHz Wifi

4 x iPads 5 GHz Wifi

3 x Android tablets mixed 5 GHz and 2.4 GHz Wifi

4 x Amazon Echo mixed 5 GHz and 2.4 GHz Wifi

2 x Amazon Fire TV 5 GHz

1 x PS4 via Powerline adapter

1 x Xbox - Ethernet

1 x LG smart TV – Ethernet to switch

1 x CCTV DVR via Powerline adapter

1 x Sonos – Ethernet to switch

1 x Synology NAS - Ethernet to switch

TrevB
Hooked

I’d love the new firmware please Bob @bobpullen 

Tags (1)
TrevB
Hooked

Have to say I do agree with everything you say, I am in the same boat , I have been with Plusnet since 2003 but this is making me want to jump ship, had all the issues with 5Ghz For a year now, that’s too long