cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

FIXED
kafkian8

Re: Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

Thanks Bob I've now rebooted and the update went through. Hopefully that helps resolving the issue for good.
grahamandbecks

I am having these problems too and I have a ticket in with tech support.

Brief description of the problem, and how is masquerades itself. What are the symptoms? How frequently does it happen?
Every so often, the Wifi signal drops out on phones, laptops and the smart TV connected through the wireless. It can happen intermittently through the day, but seems to be worse in the evening.

Do the devices having problems appear to be connected or associated with the hub? Is the hub status indicator normal/blue when the problem occurs?
The hub has a blue light so it doesn’t look like it’s having any problems.

Do you have the 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels merged (default setting) or split (different wireless network names)? If the networks are named differently, does the problem only affect the 5GHz network?
They are merged.

Once the problem occurs is it persistent? Do you have any devices wired to the router and does the problem affect them at the same time?
It isn’t persistent, it does kick back into action again. The laptop asks for the password for the Wifi to be put back in each time, then tells me the password is incorrect. The phones and TV do not do this. I have recently wired my work laptop to the router with an ethernet cable and haven’t noticed any problems.

Are you able to reproduce the problem reliably? Do you think you have a way of triggering it? [for example waking a specific device from power save mode]
There doesn’t seem to be anything that triggers the problem, it’s random. It is worse on evenings/weekends though.

Is the problem always resolved by rebooting the hub? If so, how long does it take before problems recur?
I amn’t rebooting the hub any more as it didn’t seem to be helping.

If specific devices are always impacted when problems occur, please provide details of which devices are impacted and which aren't i.e. manufacturer, model, variant and operating system version.
Impacted
Smart TV - Panasonic
Mac PowerBook Pro
iPhones (both 8s)

Not impacted
iPads
Work laptop via ethernet

Have the devices experiencing problems recently received any patches that might correspond with the time the issue first occurred?
Not as far as I’m aware.

Please provide a description of your home network setup and all devices in use including whether or not you're using any additional switches, Powerline adapters or wireless access points.
One phone point in living room. Smart TV, phones, iPads and laptops connected via WiFi and one laptop connected via ethernet.
ProfJohnC
Dabbler

Hi @delboy73 - did you get your issue fixed? I'm experiencing the same thing. 

Thanks.

mort7890
Pro
Fixes: 4

Hi @grahamandbecks  May I suggest you browse through the previous points raised in this discussion as you will find all the answers you require.

grahamandbecks

Hi there, thanks for replying! I have tried everything Bob suggested in his first message, well everything I can try anyway short of buying a new router (it’s only a few weeks old after a recent upgrade to fibre - I’m wishing I hadn’t bothered!), and it’s still playing up. I amn’t that techhy so I don’t understand what a lot of people are saying, but I did follow Bob’s instructions. If you have any other suggestions I would appreciate them! Thanks.
mort7890
Pro

Hi @grahamandbecks Although you say you have tried what Bob has suggested have you split the wifi and tried that, have you checked the software to see if that is the one here that is being discussed.

grahamandbecks

Hi, yes it is that software (4.7.5.1.83.8.263 at the bottom of my router configuration page). I switched off the 5 GHz setting as Bob suggested but that didn’t work as it was still dropping in and out. So I changed it back to the default again, as I have a tech support query in about it at the moment (I don’t want them to complain that I’ve been messing with the settings). It may not be this issue at all of course, but it looks very like what I’m seeing. It’s just a bit rubbish that since an upgrade that was meant to improve my internet, it’s made it worse! Thanks again for your reply.
mort7890
Pro

Hi @grahamandbecks  Think the problem is with the software put a request for it to be updated,  again details are within discussions. 

grahamandbecks

Thank you, I will do.
new2020

Hi @bobpullen.
I already bought new Hub One from eBay, but I have old FW .263.
One week it was OK, but now it is terrible with 5GHz. I did so many changes, but still I have problems with 5GHz.
Please send me new FW.

Thank you
supernoodles
Grafter

Hey guys i was updated to .273 on the 13/07/20 and i seem to have a new issue.

My 5Ghz no longer has an issue of not being able to connect to it instead it now has a speed issue.

On the 2.4ghz i still get the Full 80/20 my connection has on a speed test but the 5Ghz is stuck at about 25/15.

I have tried turning the 5Ghz off and on again and changing the wireless band but this doesn't seem to fix the issue.

Obviously i'd rather not have to reboot my router completely if possible.

I am at 62 days uptime without any of the previous issues like drop outs and being unable to connect.

si1200

1. intermittently the wifi drops, while gaming, streaming or browsing. 

2. Do the devices having problems appear to be connected or associated with the hub?  Is the hub status indicator Hub is always blue.

3. Default, only been with Plusnet a few weeks. Never had an issue with BT wifi, wish I hadn't changed over now, but too late to go back, so stuck with you for 18 months.

4. Yes, affects mutilple devices

5. No idea, it's your crapped router, you tell me.

6. Occasionally

7. Apple devices, Sony and LG TV's

8. No idea what this is.

9. Just this crappy hub, trying to feed our many media devices.
mort7890
Pro

Hi @si1200 Have you read through the rest of the discussions and what are you asking for.

Annoyed1000

Hi @bobpullen, How can I get the upgrade to .273 on my router. I only switched over to Plusnet on Wednesday and the router disconnects my apple devices regularly. I've tried splitting the 2.4ghz and 5ghz and turning off 5ghz. It still throws them off the internet. 

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@wall wrote:

I'm on it at the morning and it is working but the speed is about 1- 8MB/s rather than 30 I think on both the 2.4 and 5GHz, I don't mind this though, I'd much rather have this speed than resetting all the time. 

You're not mixing up your megabits with your megabytes are you? 8-32 mbps = 1-8 MBps.

@ProfJohnC wrote:

Hi @delboy73 - did you get your issue fixed? I'm experiencing the same thing. 

Slightly different problem to the one being described in this thread. I've pushed an update to your device that should help, however I would urge anybody else experiencing speed/throughput issues on 5GHz (rather than connectivity drops) to contribute to the thread over here instead.

You'll need to reboot your router to apply the update.

@supernoodles wrote:

Hey guys i was updated to .273 on the 13/07/20 and i seem to have a new issue.

My 5Ghz no longer has an issue of not being able to connect to it instead it now has a speed issue.

On the 2.4ghz i still get the Full 80/20 my connection has on a speed test but the 5Ghz is stuck at about 25/15.

As above, this is an entirely different issue that is being discussed here. I've pushed a further update to your router. Please reboot to apply it.

@new2020 wrote:
Hi @bobpullen.
I already bought new Hub One from eBay, but I have old FW .263.
One week it was OK, but now it is terrible with 5GHz. I did so many changes, but still I have problems with 5GHz.
Please send me new FW.

If you've bought it from eBay then you will need to drop me a private message containing the serial number and your account username so I can correctly register the device on the management platform. Nothing I can do until then.

@si1200 - I have tried pushing an update to your router too but I'm unable to communicate with it. Either it's offline, or it's subject to some other issue. If it is currently in use, then please try rebooting it and I will try again.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵