Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

FIXED
nottechy
Hooked

Re: Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

Hi Bob,

I have been following this stream for a couple of weeks. I have just upgraded to fibre and installed the hub one the week before. I experienced wide swings in the WiFi speed even after the 10 day commissioning period. Yesterday they varied from 23/14 to 70/18. I pressed the router restart button and the speed went back up.Signal strength doesn’t vary around the house. When it’s low beside the router it’s poor upstairs and visa versa. There have been drop outs on lap top and even buffering on Ethernet connected tv. Turning WiFi on/off on the devices has worked so far, even after a message about incorrect password 
I don’t want to separate the WiFi as I want all the devices to talk to each other and some only work on 2.4 and most are 5. Not that there is that much drain on the WiFi. A few Alexa and 2 Apple devices and a lap top. 

I am on 263 and I know there is a software update that some people seem to think cures all the known issues with the hub one. 
But I wonder why if there are known problems the update hasn’t been offered to everyone.

So my question for you is what is the update you offer designed to do? What does it change that might not be ideal? There must be a compromise or surely it would be universally rolled out. My issues are currently just slightly annoying. Admittedly my fibre extra experience is new but I am amazed Plusnet risks both customer loyalty and its reputation by supplying new and existing customers with a router with issues known and unresolved for apparently over a year.  

paul_edwin
Grafter

@nottechy wrote:
I don’t want to separate the WiFi as I want all the devices to talk to each other and some only work on 2.4 and most are 5.

The devices talk through the router, not directly over Wi-Fi, so it doesn't matter which band they're on.

stevekelly74
Hooked

@RM79 Because the problem isn't with the router, it's the firmware/software on the router that's the issue. If you install OpenWRT (an open source router firmware) on the Plusnet Hub One it runs perfectly with no issues. The hardware is fine, the firmware is the issue.

nottechy
Hooked

Thank you for that clarification 

hillfort
Dabbler

My router received the firmware roll-back some weeks ago, that cured my drop out issues. But, is there a speed issue with this version.

I've noticed my PC on wireless was responding sluggishly when displaying web pages and this was also noticed with other wireless devices including intermittent and not internet freezes of several seconds or so.

So, I switched the PC from wifi to cabled and immediately noticed web page screen displays were a lot snappier. Now here's the odd thing. I ran several speedtests when connected wirelessly followed by several speedtests when connected by cable.

Wireless: Download 23mbps- 31mbps, Upload 9.2 mbps 

Cabled: Download 9.3-11 mbps, Upload 9.27

Colin_B
Hooked

@bobpullen , thanks for pushing the firmware update.  Quick question, when you pushed the update to me this afternoon I had another router (not Hub One) installed (due to unbearable connectivity issues last night).  After receiving your message about pushing the update to me this afternoon I swapped the PN Hub One back and have powered off/on twice now but according to the Plusnet Hub Manager screen footer I am still on 263.  Could this be because my other router was installed at the time of the push? 

mort7890
Pro
Fixes: 4

Hi @nottechy Split it they will talk to each other with no problems

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@hillfort no issues with wired connectivity. There is an issue with degraded throughput on the 5GHz network  (cleared with a reboot), however that affects all published builds I believe.
@nottechy the firmware reverts the Wi-Fi config back to an earlier state, but in doing so, some more recent changes are lost. Feel free to drop me a message in private if you're interested in the detail. It's not really something I'm prepared to get into the specifics of in this thread 😉

@Colin_B give it another go now.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Colin_B
Hooked

Thanks @bobpullen , .273 successfully installed!  Cheers Bob

nottechy
Hooked

‘Feel free to drop me a message in private’

I would if I could see how 🙁 

Colin_B
Hooked

@nottechy Go to Bob's profile by clicking on his profile name, on the RHS see Contact, under which is a 'send me a private message' button.

martsky

Not sure if this helps. I have the 5GHZ issue - drops intermittently, more often after I sleep the laptop. ((Note the network parameter "allow PC to sleep WiFi" is disabled)

I have noticed two events:

1. My laptop (windows 10) is never in the list of connected devices (whether on 5 GHZ or 2.5 GHZ band)

2. My network card provides WiFi and Bluetooth, If I disable Bluetooth, the WiFi connection drops fairly quickly.

As with others, a reboot of the router makes everything fine. The problem occurs within two hours of a restart of the router.

Currently on 2.5GHZ with no problems.

mort7890
Pro
Fixes: 4

Hi @martsky I think it would help all concerned if when reporting a problem on this point to include the current software version on your router.

(Plusnet Hub One | Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.273 | Last updated 20/08/20) this is the software that is performing, on my router, satisfactorily.

ryanbarling

Hi @bobpullen - would you be able to push the latest update to my router please? Thanks
martsky

Sorry!  My software is the latest software , 4.7.5.1.83.8.263.

I have suspicions that it may be associated with my network card (inside an HP Pavilion laptop) which provides Bluetooth and WiFi