Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

FIXED
joelmacdonald
Dabbler

Re: Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

Thanks @frankc52 I'll have a wee look around and see if I can pick one up.

@bobpullen any chance we can get this firmware fix to at least try it? 

Dalesman
Grafter

Thanks, that may well be exactly what I'll do. I've opened a ticket but not received a response yet.  Perhaps Plusnet doesn't have an answer.  It's clear, from the number of posts here, it's a well-known issue.

mort7890
Pro
Fixes: 4

Albeit a well known issue I did ask @bobpullen to push the software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.273 | Last updated 20/08/20 to my account. I have had no problems since, no drop outs on 5ghz and having also tried a BT Business hub the sigbal strength from the PN hub was just as good. To get @bobpullen to do this you will have to let him know your username and the serial number of the router.

frankc52
Grafter

mort7890  I find it hard to believe you noticed no difference as the BT Supper Hub 6 is the updated version of the BT Hub 5 and I was informed by a senior tech at Plusnet it was rebranded with a new case as the PN Hub One, granted with a slightly different architecture. He told me I would get the same problems if I buy a BT Hub 5 The BT Super Hub was branded by BT at the time as the best and more powerful router.

With the PN Hub One with the latest firmware, my wifi speed was half of what I have now plus every now and again my iPhone would report the wrong password and some things like my Blink camera system would not connect to the 2.4GHz channel. I was about to leave.

I have a line speed of 79.99Mbps and a Wifi speed of 74.3Mbps all around my house on the 5GHz channel, ok there might be some drop-off. With the PN Hub One under half of that and it only works if in the room and then drops to the 2.4GHz which is even slower

Since getting the BT Smart Hub 6 it stays connected and quite boring as I don't need to keep rebooting the router and getting it through the neck from my daughter when she has been kicked off the network while giving a lecture.

I will add the people on the other end now are quite impressed as there is no pixelation or drop-offs with sound or video and think we have a real expensive ISP.

See screenshot attached just done.

mort7890
Pro

Perhaps then I got a faulty BT hub but I am having no problems (touch wood) so far with the PN hub since I got the software update, and on wifi I get 45mbps download and 21mbps upload so really no complaints.

johnjmurray

I've had the issue mentioned on this thread, I had disabled 5ghz to get around it, but after a reset of the router after speaking with Plusnet support the problem returned. @bobpullen Could you push the upgraded firmware for me please?

Brief description of the problem, and how is masquerades itself. What are the symptoms? How frequently does it happen?

After enabling 5ghz again, devices appear to work, all devices seem to register normally, I think the issue comes back when a device that was previously registered to the WiFi attempts to re-join after a reboot/enabling of 5ghz (my partner's phone who was at work when router restarted, we went shopping and when we came back my phone showed "no internet", I also couldn't access plusnet hub through browser)

Do the devices having problems appear to be connected or associated with the hub? Is the hub status indicator normal/blue when the problem occurs?

Initially seem to be associated with "no internet" but then this eventually drops

Do you have the 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels merged (default setting) or split (different wireless network names)? If the networks are named differently, does the problem only affect the 5GHz network?

Default setting when issue occurs, disabling 5ghz allows all devices to work.

Once the problem occurs is it persistent? Do you have any devices wired to the router and does the problem affect them at the same time?

Persistent on wireless, no devices wired

Are you able to reproduce the problem reliably? Do you think you have a way of triggering it? [for example waking a specific device from power save mode]

No, seems to happen after an unknown amount of time.

Is the problem always resolved by rebooting the hub? If so, how long does it take before problems recur?

Yes

If specific devices are always impacted when problems occur, please provide details of which devices are impacted and which aren't i.e. manufacturer, model, variant and operating system version.

Affected -
Phones (OnePlus 7 + OnePlus 8 )
MacBook Pro
MS Surface

Not affected -
Chromecast

Have the devices experiencing problems recently received any patches that might correspond with the time the issue first occurred?

No

Please provide a description of your home network setup and all devices in use including whether or not you're using any additional switches, Powerline adapters or wireless access points.

Plusnet Hub
Chromecast
1 X Google home
2 X Google home mini
2 X Google nest mini
MacBook
MS Surface
Sky Q box
Smart lightbulb
GoodGrief

@bobpullen 

1. 5Ghz network drops out. Devices previously connected to it are unable to reconnnect. New devices cannot connect. Regularly. Between daily and weekly.
  2. Hub status light is blue.
  3. Split - only 5GHz is affected.
  4. Yes, it doesn't resolve itself. Hard wired devices not affected.
  5. No.
  6. Yes. Any time between one day and a week.
  7. Anything connected to 5Ghz network, Fire Stick, Google Home Hub, Windows laptop, Mac laptop, smartphones.
  8. No.
  9. No additional switches, WAPs etc. Three android smartphones, three laptops, three wifi smart sockets, 4 Google home devices, Fire Stick, Samsung Smart TV .

Currently running Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 and would appreciate the test firmware before I go to buying a different router. Cheers.

Colin_B
Hooked

@bobpullen Hi Bob, is it possible you could push your latest firmware update to my PlusNet Hub One router too?  I’m also on the 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 release having switched from a stable TG582n router three weeks ago and have since experienced multiple wireless dropouts daily on both 2.4GHz and 5Ghz, plus iOS devices reporting incorrect WiFi passwords (always solved with a router reboot). Many thanks,  Colin.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@Mhowell @definedrisk @jamesashbourne2 @joelmacdonald @Jooster @Threaders @wall @EdB @Dalesman & @Colin_B - I've just pushed an update to your respective devices. You'll need to reboot at your side to apply it.

Hope it helps!

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@jmcaliskey wrote:
My WiFi network disappears within minutes of restarting the router. My 5GHz network is already toggles off and I cannot turn it on.

What happens when you try and turn it on? If it genuinely will not re-enable then you could be looking at a different issue - possibly a hardware fault.

Try factory resetting the device by inserting something into the pinhole at the rear until the status light flashes green. If that re-enables both 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks then we can look at pushing a firmware update. If the 5GHz network is still dead and you cannot re-enable it, then we can look at shipping a replacement.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

johnjmurray

Hi @bobpullen can you apply the update to my router please? I'm sure I posted the reply answering the questions but I can't seem to find it. Having similar issues described in this thread in terms of 5ghz.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@johnjmurray - done. You'll need to reboot.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

Dalesman
Grafter

Many thanks Bob.  Have rebooted the Hub One and now testing.  The first test has been passed - our iPad WILL now connect to the 5GHz band, whereas it previously wouldn't.  

mort7890
Pro

Hi @bobpullen 

Sorry to see you are under great pressure with updates on software.

Just to let you know so far after 23 days with no a problem at all on both 2.4ghz & 5ghz they are working perfectly.

Kind Regards and keep up the good work.

Jack

RM79
Dabbler

Hi @bobpullen
Many thanks with your help a few months ago pushing the new firmware to my router although I have just taken the plunge and purchased a BT smart hub 2 and OMG the difference is incredible WiFi speeds are super fast now no matter where I am in the house. Why oh why won't Plusnet just release an updated router