cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

FIXED
jamesashbourne2

Re: Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

@bobpullen I've had a quick read through this thread and think I'm seeing similar issues with my 5GHz connection (on the .263 firmware). Would it be possible for you to push the updated firmware to my device? Cheers, James

joelmacdonald
Dabbler

@bobpullen I too seem to have this 5GHZ issue as mentioned in this thread. Devices connected 5GHz are losing internet and resetting doesn't fix. Can I please have the fix applied to mine too?

Jooster

@bobpullen I’m on .263 firmware too and having all sorts of problems with the WiFi dropping out. Can you push the latest firmware to my Hub One too please? Thanks.  

Threaders

@bobpullen I’m on .263 firmware too and having 5GHz WiFi dropping out. Can you push the latest firmware to my Hub One too please? Thanks.
wall

@bobpullen I’m also on the 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 and the WiFi dropping out several times a day. Can I get the latest firmware to my Hub One as well, please? Thank you.

EdB

Hi @bobpullen - please can I get a firmware update pushed down to my router please as I am too impacted by this problem. Quite frustrating dropping off teams meetings...
Dalesman
Grafter

I've recently had problems with Apple devices disconnecting/reconnecting to Hub One, requesting/declining correct wireless key and refusing to connect at all etc.  On Plusnet's advice, 2.4 and 5GHz have been renamed and split and all devices reconnected to 2.4GHz only.  This has solved the problem but we now seem to be struggling with bandwidth and have iPlayer constantly buffering.  I've wanted to try re-connecting the Apple devices to the 5GHz band - but the wireless key is being declined as incorrect.  Hub One settings show 5GHz enabled as 'yes', sync with 2.4GHz as 'no' and wireless key same for both bands.  What could be wrong please?

definedrisk

@Dalesman there is a problem with the hardware (firmware) that PlusNet have supplied. https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2019/11/glitchy-5ghz-wifi-hits-users-of-uk-isp-plusnets-hub-on... from a google search of "PlusNet 5ghz problems". It has been happening for several months. There appears to have been a solution and this had been sent to a handful of users thanks to @bobpullen but there is no official mention of this solution anywhere else that I can see. If you got your own 5ghz extender https://www.bing.com/search?q=5ghz+extender&qs=n&form=QBRE&sp=-1&pq=5ghz+extender&sc=3-13&sk=&cvid=E... then you would be ok. But my personal opinion is that PlusNet should either fix the 5Ghz output of their hub by the end of December (12months after initial problems reported) or provide on a temporary basis 5GHz wifi extenders until they do. Otherwise they are likely to be in breach of contract ... interesting to note that there is very little mention of PlusNet hub one on the PlusNet website now. IT used to mention the 5GHz PlusNet Hub supplied with broad band contracts and that a 5ghz signal offered better connectivity for multiple devices!

Dalesman
Grafter

Thank you.  I guess I'll open a ticket for this.

Iandfisher
Rising Star

I'm afraid it's longer than 12 months. I first noticed the issue after the March 2019 update so 19 months and counting. I first notice the problem with my Echo not connecting, then the WiFi extender connecting but the no internet access message on the extender (I bought a new extender, blaming the old one but I had the same problem). Also, every time my phone, tablet etc dropped the connection I had the re-enter the connection details and I invariably got the password error. Every time I contacted the no help line I was told to re-boot which works for all of 5 minutes (you know what I mean). In the end I bought a BT HH6 and I have never looked back. I use a powerline adapter for the office which is at least 60 metres from the hub and a WiFi hotspot at the office. All my Echoes are working, the WiFi extender is working and I get great coverage everywhere. It's sad that we are paying for fibre (provided by Open Reach) which is fine to the house. As soon as the signal hits the PN router the wheels fall off.

frankc52
Grafter

for the cost of a BT Smart Hub 6, it's worth every penny for a stronger WiFi that works. I hope all read your post Iandfisher

frankc52
Grafter

Dalesman If you can spare £20 get yourself a secondhand BT Smart Hub 6 and save yourself any problems. Even with the update for the PN Hub One, there are problems with devices reporting the wrong password and slow speed. they are listed on eBay and Amazon.. Still split the 2.4GHz and 5GHz  channels and it dead easy to set-up.

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

Post deleted by RealAleMadrid

joelmacdonald
Dabbler

@frankc  Very tempted to do this myself. See a brand new BT Hub 6 is £120. 

Wondering if theres a a better third party option? If I'm gonna ditch the Plusnet hardware I might as well get a good one.

Very disappointed in Plusnet. Never had an issue before even with faulty routers, but this seems like a massive issue that doesn't seem to get fixed. Why don't they just issue BT hubs as a fix?

frankc52
Grafter

joelmacdonald if your thinking of spending over £100 there are better if you want to tinker with the settings but there are loads of secondhand BT Smart Hubs 6  on eBay and Amazon. I paid £18.00 for mine and another person posted they picked up One new and one secondhand for £10.00 

Tags (1)