Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

FIXED
Nuneaton10

Re: Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

Hi,

I am having this problem. My PC will not connect to WiFi or does but receives no internet. I had no problems with previous internet providers or their routers and at least one was using the 5Ghz spectrum. My PC is using an ax200 wireless adapter with all the latest software updates. I could get the internet to work for a short time by reinstalling the wireless adapter and software but this is not practical and only fixed the problem for a short period of time. I tried using older versions of the wireless adapter software but none of them worked better than any other. Other devices did work with the 5Ghz spectrum but as I need PC internet access I had to turn it off.

PC is running intel ax200 wireless adapter, Ryzen 3600 CPU and 1660ti GPU with Windows 10 Professional.

Other devices running on the network would be a laptop, phones and things like Sky and TV.

No powerline adapters or anything like that.

How do I get the problem fixed?

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@sarahirvin & @Beatleboy - I've pushed an update to your devices. You'll need to reboot the router to apply it.

@Nuneaton10 - I'm not 100% your problem is related but have done the same regardless.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Bogshed
Hooked

I've put off doing something about my 5GHz issue for too long now. I reset my Hub one to factory settings two days ago (Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263) but already it's annoying me. So here I am and asking a big favour to Bob to include me in your testing program.

• Brief description of the problem, and how is masquerades itself. What are the symptoms? How frequently does it happen?
    No issues on 2GHz, but 5GHz is useless. Nothing routes through to the Internet.
  • Do the devices having problems appear to be connected or associated with the hub?  Is the hub status indicator normal/blue when the problem occurs?
    They try to connect, but generally give up quickly. Hub status normal - Blue.
  • Do you have the 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels merged (default setting) or split (different wireless network names)? If the networks are named differently, does the problem only affect the 5GHz network?
    Split SSIDs. No issue with ethernet or 2Ghz connections, only 5GHz.
  • Once the problem occurs is it persistent?  Do you have any devices wired to the router and does the problem affect them at the same time?
    Yes it is persistent and no, no problems with wired connections.
  • Are you able to reproduce the problem reliably? Do you think you have a way of triggering it? [for example waking a specific device from power save mode]
    No
  • Is the problem always resolved by rebooting the hub?  If so, how long does it take before problems recur?
    No. Almost instantly.
  • If specific devices are always impacted when problems occur, please provide details of which devices are impacted and which aren't i.e. manufacturer, model, variant and operating system version.
    4 Lenovo Thinkpads (3xWin10, 1xWin7), 1 bog-standard Lenovo (Win10), Pixel4a, Honor7, iPhone6, Blink mini camera. Basically, all my 802.11ac devices.
  • Have the devices experiencing problems recently received any patches that might correspond with the time the issue first occurred?
    No, this has been on-going for months.
  • Please provide a description of your home network setup and all devices in use including whether or not you're using any additional switches, Powerline adapters or wireless access points.
  • 2 gigabit switches (to copy files quickly over the network), one TP-link access point. No permanent powerline, but no issues when tested.

Many thanks

sarahirvin

Thanks Smiley Will see how we go with it over the next week or so.
Beatleboy
Hooked

Thank you Bob
I'll try it out tomorrow (Thursday)
scottw

Hi Bob

I'm having the same issue with 4.7.5.1.83.8.263.

Keeping 5GHz enabled, and un-syncing with 2.4GHz does not make any difference.Devices attempt to connect to the 5GHz WiFi, give up and re-try.

The only solution I could find was to disable the 5GHz WiFi, or to keep restarting the router - sometimes after a few hours, sometimes after a day or two.

I would appreciate if you could push a possible fix.

Thanks!

nicanlee

Hi Bob, 

We too are having this problem, but only recently, I had been rebooting the router to resolve the problem but it is now happening daily, sometimes more than once. The active 5GHz connections disconnect one at a time, devices on 2.4GHz remain connected as do devices connected by Powerline.

Could you please push the update to us?

Many thanks

AddledAdder

Hi Bob

I'm having the same issue.

I disabled the 5GHz WiFi, which has given a more reliable WiFi but need the higher frequency to cast ipad to tv.  I would appreciate if you could push a possible fix.

I use a variety of wired and WiFi devices and power line too to extend to pcs on second floor.

Thanks!

Shmeker
Dabbler

Hi @bobpullen,
Just an update, the further update you pushed to my router has fixed the broadband speed issue. Its been a couple of weeks now and it hasn't dropped, many thanks
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Thanks @Shmeker, great to know Smiley

@AddledAdder @nicanlee @scottw & @Bogshed - I've just pushed an update to your devices. You'll need to reboot at your side to apply it. Hope it helps.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

bstaker

Hi,

I have just signed up to Plusnet Community in order to report a 5Ghz WiFi issue with my Plusnet router.

Package: 40 Mbps Down / 10 Mbps Up

Version info: "Plusnet Hub One | Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 | Last updated 11/03/19"

Around 7pm I noticed Netflix was buffering continuously, so I checked the internet speed and it was reporting 10-15Mbps Down and 2Mbps Up. This didn't seem right so I restarted the router and then suddenly all connections to 5Ghz stopped working. I then restarted it again and went for a walk. Came back an hour later to check it and it was the same - couldn't connect to 5Ghz.

Connecting to 2.4Ghz is fine and I could login to Plusnet Hub Manager. You can find the 5Ghz configuration below.

Sync with 2.4 GHz: No

Wireless interface type: 802.11 a/n/ac (up to 1300 Mb/s)

Channel selection: Automatic (Smart Wireless)
Current channel: Channel 40

Security: WPA2 Only (Recommended)

I tried disabling 5Ghz, restarting, then enabling 5Ghz again and restarting... but this didn't work.

Can you please update my firmware to see if it fixes the issue?

Many thanks,

Ben

Nuneaton10

Hi @bobpullen. It appears to work the computer that was having the problem has got a good 5GHz signal and the speed is good. Will see how it goes over the next week but thanks again for sorting so quickly.
stevekelly74
Hooked

Hi,

I'm a relatively new Plusnet user and have noticed this exact same issue myself, and have tried everything to fix it but to no avail.

Devices on the 5GHz channel constantly drop off the wifi, especially when I move downstairs in my property where it happens a lot and the coverage is quite bad (the router is upstairs but the property is small and the distance is not far). I have tried separating out the 2.4 and 5GHZ channels and also set dedicated unique channels for both after scanning wifi networks in my area for channel clash, but the problem persists.

@bobpullen I'd be very grateful if you could push out the fix/firmware update to my router please? I was considering going down the OpenWRT route to resolve this but would much prefer to try the official Plusnet fix first. Once the firmware is updated I'll change the wifi settings back to default (non separated 2.4/5ghz and channel selection set back to smart).

My current router firmware is version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263.

Thanks a lot for your help in advance.

Steve

mikershaw
Hooked

Hi, An update push would be highly appreciated.

1)Items using 5GHz connect after a hub reboot then are bounced off some time later. Cannot reconnect as comes up authentication error, incorrect password.

2)Hub status indicator OK

3)Split, different network names, no problem connecting to 2.4 GHz

4)Appears persistent until router reboot. No wired devices operate on 5GHz

5)Sorry, no obvious triggers noted

6)So far resolved by rebooting hub. Seems to re-occur between one and seven days.

7)All devices on 5GHz affected - iphone, Motorola phone and Samsung tablet

8)No

9)Hub One, 24 port patchbox, 24 port unmanaged 10/100 switch, Various Toshiba and Dell laptops, Qnap server, smart radio and speakers, TV, NowTV boxes. No powerline adapters and only occasionally an extra access point.

mikershaw
Hooked

Good day,

In addition to my previous message, following noted today-

Iphone sees 5GHz router network but comes up with Incorrect Password when trying to connect and reverts to 4G rather than 2.4 GHz network.

Router sees no 5GHz devices at all although three are in use.

Regards,

Mike.