cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

FIXED
FOREST37

Re: Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

@bobpullen - I'm still using a Hub One Router but it's running the Open WRT 19.07.3 firmware - both wifi channels are split with different SSID - i have had no signal loss on either band for the last 2 months - no disconnections from either channel and more importantly i have had no speed loss noted.

I was on the 273 firmware on the original Hub One - with the bands split and different SSID - and this firmware did seem to cure the 5GHZ disconnections - BUT the degradation is speed was horrendous - to the point that my download speed was in single figures and the only way to cure it was to reboot the router. I appreciate that's another thread and there's a 287 firmware available for testing at this moment, which I've been following to see if that's is something I would be willing to trial - but for now I will hold fire until I see how the other testers feedback goes.

The fact that I have normal functionality with the Hub One - shows the hardware is capable of handling 2.4GHz & 5 GHz wifi connections without disconnections and speed loss - albeit it's using a different firmware to the official firmware - so what are the differences between the Open WRT firmware and Plusnet's own version that cause such volatility and unreliability?

On another note, I have just renewed my contract for a further 24 months - on the basis that I am getting reliable and fast broadband - albeit that is using a modified router - but I am hoping that at some point in the next 2 years, Plusnet will have viable working routers with their own firmware available - as I'm sure you are too hopefully.....

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@FOREST37 appreciate the insight.

OpenWRT will be using a completely different kernel/software architecture/OS to the Plusnet/BT builds. The differences are too numerous to count. Definitely not suitable for a side by side comparison.

I'm confident the hardware is not the issue here, so your reasoning is sound.

Pretty certain the throughput issue is fixed now (at least behind the scenes).

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@Surfer wrote:

Initially I thought there was an issue with my laptop however no issue if I use Three to download etc. Everything points to the router.  I think the version is .273?

Tried taking another quick look but the device doesn't seem to be online at the moment?

@lalucas91 - I've pushed an update to your device. You'll need to reboot to apply it.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

Surfer
Grafter

Thanks Bob I have replaced the Plusnet with the BT Hub 6 which is probably why you could not access it.  Perhaps changing it over at the time?

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@Surfer - no worries, I thought that might be the case.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

gfieldz

Just want to say so far the household hasn't had any issues with its wifi. Speeds are consistent and 5Ghz is usable  (Worked from Home on it all day without issue!). Too early to tell if its fixed but will update if anything changes 😀

Nuka

To follow up just wanted say 5GHz band seems cured. Switched to using ithe router with HG612 modem and my connection has also been stable since, seems I'm on Huawei cabinet. Lost around 15Mbit download speed for past year, not sure if can request line training/reset since I will be now sticking to using HG612 modem? Seems I am stuck on 55Mbit, used to get max sync year ago. Sorry if off-topic cannot login member center (blank screen) to ask for help.

bricktrix

@bobpullen Thats great thank you. 1 week on it appears to have cured the problem Smiley

RhYnoECfnW

It appears I'm also suffering this issue. To be honest, I'd given up on 5ghz some time last year. It just wouldn't stay connected for any reasonable amount of time, on any device. The only reason I've recently revisited it is to use xcloud game streaming, which apparently works much better over 5ghz.

1. Brief description of the problem, and how is masquerades itself. What are the symptoms? How frequently does it happen?

Either can't connect to the 5ghz connection (says connected without internet on Android devices, for example) or, if I can connect, will lose that connection seemingly at random.

2. Do the devices having problems appear to be connected or associated with the hub? Is the hub status indicator normal/blue when the problem occurs?

The hub is working fine

3. Do you have the 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels merged (default setting) or split (different wireless network names)? If the networks are named differently, does the problem only affect the 5GHz network?

The two channels are split, with different names. 2.4GHz works just fine.

4. Once the problem occurs is it persistent? Do you have any devices wired to the router and does the problem affect them at the same time?

Once a 5GHz connection is lost, it won't reconnect without restarting the router. I have a couple of wired devices that are unaffected.

5.Are you able to reproduce the problem reliably? Do you think you have a way of triggering it? [for example waking a specific device from power save mode]

No

6. Is the problem always resolved by rebooting the hub? If so, how long does it take before problems recur?

Usually a reboot will fix the issue, but it will always return. No pattern to how often it happens.

7. If specific devices are always impacted when problems occur, please provide details of which devices are impacted and which aren't i.e. manufacturer, model, variant and operating system version.

Have only tried 5GHz with a Samsung Galaxy A40, and two Amazon Fire Sticks.

8. Have the devices experiencing problems recently received any patches that might correspond with the time the issue first occurred?

No.

9. Please provide a description of your home network setup and all devices in use including whether or not you're using any additional switches, Powerline adapters or wireless access points.

Just using the router, wired to a PC and Xbox One. Then wireless (2.4GHz!) to a few phones and tablets, Fire Sticks, couple of other games consoles and a printer.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@RhYnoECfnW thanks for the detail.

You're right that xcloud will perform better over a 5GHz connection (I wouldn't personally entertain the idea of cloud streaming on a 2.4GHz network).

I've pushed a config change to your router. You'll need to reboot at your side in order to apply it.

Hope it helps. 

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

sarahirvin

We're having this issue with our router as well - we are on the latest firmware as mentioned in the OP. 

1. Brief description of the problem, and how is masquerades itself. What are the symptoms? How frequently does it happen?

Either cannot connect to 5ghz band (either says "connected no internet" or gives an error message saying "cannot sign into xxxx network"). When able to connect, loses connection randomly.

2. Do the devices having problems appear to be connected or associated with the hub? Is the hub status indicator normal/blue when the problem occurs?

Yes hub is fine and normal blue "working" light displays.

3. Do you have the 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels merged (default setting) or split (different wireless network names)? If the networks are named differently, does the problem only affect the 5GHz network?

The two channels are split, with different names which is how we came to realise the 5GHz network is not working as it should be. 

4. Once the problem occurs is it persistent? Do you have any devices wired to the router and does the problem affect them at the same time?

It is persistent - router needs to be restarted often more than once for the issue to be resolved.

5.Are you able to reproduce the problem reliably? Do you think you have a way of triggering it? [for example waking a specific device from power save mode]

No

6. Is the problem always resolved by rebooting the hub? If so, how long does it take before problems recur?

Rebooting does fix sometimes, but not always. Sometimes multiple reboots are required but eventually it works. Haven't noticed a pattern in how long between occurrences of the issue but it happens frequently.

7. If specific devices are always impacted when problems occur, please provide details of which devices are impacted and which aren't i.e. manufacturer, model, variant and operating system version.

All impacted - we have personal and work devices of a number of brands including - Xiaomi phone, Samsung phone, Nvidia Shield Tablet, Toshiba Laptop, HP laptop Elitebook, Dell laptop, Ipad. (not all used at once.)

8. Have the devices experiencing problems recently received any patches that might correspond with the time the issue first occurred?

No.

9. Please provide a description of your home network setup and all devices in use including whether or not you're using any additional switches, Powerline adapters or wireless access points.

Just the router (Attached to main phone socket). Tend to have 2 laptops in use during the day and 1 tablet and 2 phones in use on an evening. We also have a HIVE connected to the hub by ethernet cable.

Surfer
Grafter

Just an update.  We swapped over our router for a BT Hub 6 and no issues with wifi yesterday on a long distacen call via Whatsapp so seems to be working okay at present.

RhYnoECfnW

@bobpullen Thanks for this

Have had no issues since yesterday afternoon. Usually I'd wake up to find my phone and FireStick have lost their 5GHz connection, but they're both working fine so far. Have also been out this morning and when returning home my phone automatically connected to the 5GHz connection again which hasn't happened before. Early days but looks promising so far, thanks!

Dumsey

The connection seems a lot more stable. Just had one loss of internet since the update.
Thank you
Beatleboy
Hooked

I Have had the same issues as everyone else. Plusnet switched the 5ghz off
(Red light on router) and the Wi-Fi hasn't dropped. But I have no 5Ghz .
Plusnet promised a router update to cure this but they didn't deliver, so what do I do next ?