cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

FIXED
Jesspj91

Re: Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

Another request here please, too new to PM.

We've had this issue ever since we moved over to plusnet
KingRonseal

If anyone has an old BT hub lying around I was able to get my WiFi working using that in about 30 minutes using instructions on this forum. Saves waiting for Bob, just remember which company ships out routers with no WiFi when your contract is up.
twjohnson

I am having the same problem. Seemed to start after upgrading my fibre package to a faster version.

I contacted Plusnet for help, they advised splitting the Wi-Fi. The problem persisted; carried out line test, router reset done, fault testing over a few days found no problem with the line.

I was then told the next step was to have a BT engineer come to check the line. I queried the logic of this suggestion as the problem was not guaranteed to exist during a visit. The line is clearly fine as wired connections still work so the problem is the router. There was no mention of this known issue. I rejected that plan as it made no sense, and we agreed a replacement router (at my expense) should be tried – same problems!

Quite angry that either internal Plusnet communication means the helpdesk does not know about this problem or they were happy to conceal it and then allow me to pay for a BT visit that would find no fault with the line and thus be a cost to me.

I subsequently found this thread. Issue summary:

• All Wi-Fi devices lose connectivity. The blue router light remains on and wired connections are still working.
  • All Wi-Fi devices are impacted: 2 x ThinkPad's, 1 iPhone 6S, and one Android Sony Xperia.
  • I have now turned off the 5GHz channel, this has reduced the frequency of the problem, but it is still occurring. The problem is only resolved by rebooting the hub.
  • Using the Plusnet Hub One, Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263.

Is there a router firmware fix?

Droppedtuba

Hi @bobpullen

Hope you enjoyed your week off!

I've been tearing my hair out on more or less a daily basis trying to stay connected to work systems since the new year, I've finally found this thread which describes the issues I'm seeing with drop out daily. Could you push a firmware update for me to try before going down the route of splitting 2/5 ghz?

Thanks

Andy

Longliner
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Thanks to Baldrick's excellent guide many of us have found that a used HH6 solves most of these Hub One problems. Not knocking the Hub One which I keep as a spare, you get what you pay for ...

Droppedtuba

Agree that you get what you pay for, but it seems a bit of a joke to sell something which isn't working - especially with something which would go above the heads of alot of consumers. If the cheaper option is to provide a router with only one channel then that's fine - but to sell a router which then causes headaches and issues for what seems like alot of customers isn't really on.

hoptown1963

Hi Bob, Sorry to bother you with another request, but I appear to have the exact problem described here. Needless to say having checked the router admin nothing is working on the 5GHz channel. Would you be able to push through a firmware update please too. I am on a Plusnet Hub One 4.7.5.1.83.8.263

Is there any further information you need from me ?

Many thanks

Alan

DeeAJay
Dabbler

@bobpullen I too have this problem. My current firmware: Plusnet Hub One | Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 | Last updated 27/02/19

Nothing is working on the 5Ghz channel.

It would be great if I could have a software update, but I've been looking through the thread and can't find out what router information I should send when I ask for one.

Moyano

I’m not being funny but this is a [-Censored-]ing disgrace !!!!
How the [-Censored-] do your tech support team not even know about this issue ?

It’s been a well known issue for over a year !

I’m surprised no one hasn’t taken you to court over this !

This is absolutely ridiculous!!!!!
Savigny

Thanks to those who suggested going down the BT HH6 route to negate the issues with the 5Ghz WiFi.. a quick scan of Facebook Marketplace located one a mile away for £10. Easy to configure using the instructions posted on the Community and now all is operating, stable and, I suspect, faster.

Very strange that the firmware that is supposed to fix it still hasn’t been generally released after so many posts reporting issues....

Paulgriff100

Hi Bob,
Could you please push the update to my router too.
Struggled with all the problems mentioned before searching the web and ending up here, bands split and 5ghz disabled as a temporary workaround.

Thanks.
wayblack

Hi All,

@bobpullen kindly updated my firmware about 4 days ago, all seems stable and 5Ghz channel working in tandem with 2.4 ok.

All devices 5Ghz either manually moved and some I left to sort themselves out and they also moved no issue, shorten DHCP lease for a while.

IMPORTANT: For those who want this FIRMWARE, you will NOT get it here by asking in this post chain..... 

You need to PM @bobpullen with your request and with your router Serial number: that goes something like this....  +0NNNN1+NQNNNNNN80 (the N's are usually numbers) this is difficult to find, but simple if you know where..... On the router itself or much simpler......

Open browser to your plusnet router, login with admin rights, go to advanced settings, click on Home Network, then click on the graphic symbol for the router, here you will find the Serial number, copy paste into PM message.

IN CLOSING,

1. PlusNet have dragged their feet on this one for over a year which to me is not acceptable, we should get some form of compensation for this.

2. BT HH6, Wish I had known about this option\fix a long time ago, going to give this a go especially since this device is reported to give better performance, i'll keep the PN router as spare!

Could someone please post a link to the best instructions for the BT HH6 configuration?

paul_edwin
Grafter

@wayblack wrote:

IMPORTANT: For those who want this FIRMWARE, you will NOT get it here by asking in this post chain..... 

"Up to a point, Lord Copper."

If Bob can associate your identity on this forum with your Plusnet identity, then in the majority cases I believe he can find all the information he needs for himself (as he did for me).

Your best strategy is to read the thread properly, answer the nine questions in the very first post in this thread (which might help to find a solution for all this), and most importantly: ask politely.

DeeAJay
Dabbler

Thanks. I will send Bob answers to his original questions along with my router serial number. I'd assumed things had moved on since those early information gathering days -- a workaround has been found. However, perhaps my answers will still be useful.

LVM

@bobpullen 

Hello

Please may I also have my router updated to the latest version as I am too experiencing issues with 5 GHz devices disconnecting and reconnection during most of this year.

Please can you arrange to push update .273 Firmware or newer to my router.

I will PM you the details.

Thank you LVM