Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

FIXED
pbeardow
Hooked

Re: Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

Hi,

I've just started having the same drop out problems on Wifi I have installed in a relatives house, but on both 5GHz and 2.4GHZ. I have CCTV cameras installed to protect a vulnerable member of the household and I keep losing footage for hours on end, plus many missed Skype calls because the iPad has disconnected itself. Would the new firmware work for me, or should I just bite the bullet and get a new router, in which case which one works with PlusNet? (I use a semi-pro Ubiquiti setup at home, so happy to get these things up and running)

Thanks for any advice you can give.

mechimp
Hooked

Hi - We've been having this disconnecting 5GHz problem over the past 2 weeks. Called support last week and they split the connecting between 5Ghz and 2.4 and did a full reset, but we've been having similar issues today on both.

We're on the .263 firmware - they advised there will be an update coming soon(ish), but any help would be great,

JestersTear
Dabbler

Had no dropouts on HH6 so far today - would have had 3-4 by now on Hub one.

5Ghz range better too.

I'm a happy man again

rje2k20

@bobpullen

Please may I also have my router updated to the latest version as I am too experiencing issues with 5 GHz devices. I have set any I can alter to 2.4 but some Android devices won't/can't and as a result I cannot connect them to WiFi currently.

Many Thanks

mkchris83

Hi @bobpullen - sorry to be a pain, my line has been fixed and router is back online, if you could retry for me please?  Many thanks!

enjybenjy
Hooked

@pbeardow 100 percent get a home hub 6. Works perfect with plusnet, better speed and signal and they're cheap as chips on Facebook marketplace. I got a brand spanking new one for 10 pounds 😊
frankc52
Grafter

Just for the information for people who have problems with PN Hub One. My router was RMAed and a new one sent. While waiting for it to arrive they flashed the original hub to ..........273 all worked well for about 7 days until a tech phoned me and asked me to install the new modem with the lower version and he asked me to choose new SSID and split the 2.4 and 5GHz in short within the hour it was losing connection and then telling me the password was wrong. At this point, I did throw my toys out of my pram.

I put the original router back with the .....273 which now also went and did a big wobble. At this time I was about to chuck the towel in but tried one more thing I bought a BT Smart Hub 6 and all is well with the world.

I would recommend giving it a try for between £10 and £25 you can have a good fast connection. Warning don't get the Smart Hub 5 as it's so near to the PN Hub One with all the problems.   Hope this helps.

pbeardow
Hooked

Cheers, I will. I lost another two hours of video feed this morning and that's a big problem for me. I would drop PlusNet completely if I could, they clearly knew there was an issue when I signed up and then sent out the Hub.

JestersTear
Dabbler

A week in since BT HH6 router install.

Zero wifi droputs (down from 4-5 a day, every day). Better performance and speed on both channels.

Stronger 5ghz signal to third floor bedroom (had to use 2.4ghz up there on Plusnet Hub One as 5Ghz didn't reach)

Best £20 I've spent in ages.

pbeardow
Hooked

I got A HH6 off eBay and installed it last night. The set-up was bit different to the instructions shared on this thread (you need the connection from the start otherwise you don't get the setup screen), but I got there in the end. Seems solid so far, I'll have to see if it cures the drops outs.

enjybenjy
Hooked

If you connect it straight to computer via ethernet cable and make sure WiFi is off and no other router is connected it will work. Just have to enter the router ip address. Can do it via WiFi on mobile but it's a pain because everytime you change anything it needs reconnecting.
pbeardow
Hooked

I did it on mobile because I forgot the ethernet adapter for the MacBook I was using. Yes I had to restart a few times, but it wasn't so bad (I have a Ubiquiti semi-pro system at home that has a microwave connection, not fibre - that gets more involved...). The only slightly worrying moment was the number of times I had to ask it to connect before it finally did, but I guess that was down to timeouts somewhere.

Anyway, it's up and running, let's see how much of an improvement it brings. So far, so good.

tsharp1093
Hooked

1. Brief description of the problem, and how is masquerades itself. What are the symptoms? How frequently does it happen?

Devices connected to 5GHz Wi-Fi are "kicked" from the network and are unable to reconnect until the hub is manually reset.
  2. Do the devices having problems appear to be connected or associated with the hub?  Is the hub status indicator normal/blue when the problem occurs?

Hub status indicator is blue throughout.

3. Do you have the 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels merged (default setting) or split (different wireless network names)? If the networks are named differently, does the problem only affect the 5GHz network?

The problem is experienced whether the channels are split or merged.

4. Once the problem occurs is it persistent?  Do you have any devices wired to the router and does the problem affect them at the same time?

Yes, once the problem occurs it persists until the hub is manually reset.

5. Are you able to reproduce the problem reliably? Do you think you have a way of triggering it? [for example waking a specific device from power save mode]

No, it occurs randomly.

6. Is the problem always resolved by rebooting the hub?  If so, how long does it take before problems recur?

Yes, the problem is always resolved by rebooting the hub. The problem recurs within 1-3 days.

7. If specific devices are always impacted when problems occur, please provide details of which devices are impacted and which aren't i.e. manufacturer, model, variant and operating system version.

All devices using the 5GHz channel are affected. Devices using the 2.4GHz channel are unaffected.

8. Have the devices experiencing problems recently received any patches that might correspond with the time the issue first occurred?

No.

9. Please provide a description of your home network setup and all devices in use including whether or not you're using any additional switches, Powerline adapters or wireless access points.

Around 6 devices connected directly to the hub over Wi-Fi. No additional switches, Powerline adapters or wireless access points.

Just to add - my hub is running firmware version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 - this was known to be faulty in December 2019, yet Plusnet are still sending routers running the .263 firmware to new customers (I signed up in August). There is still no definitive solution to the problem, and suggesting that customers use unsupported third-party routers as a workaround is beyond belief. If you're reading this and thinking of joining Plusnet - don't. Their business practices are nothing short of a joke.

pbeardow
Hooked

I spoke too soon, Skype calls are still not getting through and the CCTV cameras disconnected during the day. I suppose I can try to start from scratch and reconnect everything slowly, but this really cheeses me off. PlusNet allowed me to sign up for broadband and knowingly sent out a defective router. I have had to buy a 3rd party router to fix the issue and I am still having problems.

enjybenjy
Hooked

I didn't like the idea of spending more money but it's worth it just to stop the kids nagging!! I have 2 cctv cameras running through WiFi and haven't had an issue yet, if you have them recording through a dvr have you changed the cable going from the router to dvr?? I had alot if issues with mine a while ago but noticed they were always connected while viewing on my mobile but disconnecting constantly on DVR. I changed that ethernet cable and have been trouble free since. Skype I can't help with but our messenger calls no longer freeze and disconnect. Did you reset the router before you started 😊