cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

FIXED
lloydbayliss

Re: Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

Don't think I've had the definite 5GHz outage since being updated (downgraded?) to v273, but still getting some strange behaviour with some of my devices, particularly the SkyQ boxes.  I haven't split the networks, which means I haven't been able to fully monitor and decipher what's been going on, but I've just ordered the Business version of BT's Smart Hub.  Hopefully this will save me some heartache and frustration going forward, and also give me a little more control over how my network is configured and behaves.

Thanks for your help @bobpullen, you're doing an admirable job of trying to fight this particular fire.  I find it hard to understand though, why Plusnet still haven't been able to get to the bottom of the issue and fix it properly for everyone.  I can only imagine how many people there are out there that are suffering from this frustration and simply putting up with it.  It's also unacceptable that the call centre are either not aware of the problem or are not supplying suitable advice.

All the best,

Lloyd

JestersTear
Dabbler

@ too have gone down the BT Router avenue......too many droputs for me on wifi when working from home and also Sky Q issues - where main box wont connect to internet but mini box will, or both wont etc

Its the wifi killing me - using 5Ghz Netgear extender (3 floor house) makes it more unstable so had to remove that but still getting maybe 4-5 dropouts per working day. Not good when I am remoted on to a server !

wes78

hello @bobpullen 

Another .263 firmware user on PH1, who would like to request the different firmware please. My 5GHz network dropped completely this morning after working well since splitting the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz 4-5 months ago

1. Brief description of the problem, and how is masquerades itself. What are the symptoms? How frequently does it happen? As of today, all devices kicked off the 5Ghz network. Working fine for 4-5 months after splitting the 2.4 and 5GHz networks (following a daily occurence of losing connection to all wireless devices)

2. Do the devices having problems appear to be connected or associated with the hub?  Is the hub status indicator normal/blue when the problem occurs? Normal / blue all day today despite issues

3. Do you have the 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels merged (default setting) or split (different wireless network names)? If the networks are named differently, does the problem only affect the 5GHz network?
    Split and only affecting 5GHz
  4. Once the problem occurs is it persistent?  Do you have any devices wired to the router and does the problem affect them at the same time?
    Wired devices are fine (via a switch and mainsline)
  5. Are you able to reproduce the problem reliably? Do you think you have a way of triggering it? [for example waking a specific device from power save mode]
    No. I left my Dell Precision 7720 on overnight and this morning it was the first of many devices to fail to connect to the 5GHz
  6. Is the problem always resolved by rebooting the hub?  If so, how long does it take before problems recur?
    It has in the past but I'm not in a position to reboot right now
  7. If specific devices are always impacted when problems occur, please provide details of which devices are impacted and which aren't i.e. manufacturer, model, variant and operating system version.
    Dell Precision 7720 (Win10), Lenovo Win 10, Nintendo switch, Samsung Galaxy S7 all affected. Devices which already had the 2.4GHz password just switched automatically (Amazon Alexa, Google mini
  8. Have the devices experiencing problems recently received any patches that might correspond with the time the issue first occurred?
    Win10 Dell 7720 has had a windows update. No other devices
  9. Please provide a description of your home network setup and all devices in use including whether or not you're using any additional switches, Powerline adapters or wireless access points.
    TP LInk 8-port switch + 1 pair of mainsline plugs
frankc52
Grafter

Thanks for that info. I am Gutted as I'm new to Plusnet Wifi and had all these problems with password not being recognised after about two hours on our iPhones. Tech dept said it was an Apple problem with their latest OS. In short, I got over all the problems with a BT Smart Hub 6 life is back being cool.

I was even more amazed when these problems have been about for some time 2018  

The big question why are Plusnet still pushing out routers that have problems with 5GHz

I'm now getting fast speeds all around my house and garden on a stable 5GHz speeds of 69Mbps down and 18MHz down 

So glad it was not me being a PEBCAK

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@SheffieldHills @rob571330 @kamwu @grahamdue @PartyPirate @Jh47 & @wes78 - an update has been pushed to your routers. You'll need to power of/power back on at your side to apply it but hopefully it helps.

@Hanes @nerrawb @danielmeakes & mkchris83 - none of your devices seem to be online any more so I've not been able to help.

For everybody else that's posted requesting updates since I was last round these parts: I've spoken to most of you in private.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@Dougrattray wrote:

@bobpullen my router didn't receive the update, t's still on .263.  It's probably because I was using an old router when it was pushed.

Assume you went back to the old router? I've just tried again but been unable to get through Sad

@Shmeker wrote:
It was around 70 mbps downloading speed, but since the update it drops daily to around 17-18 mbps. At times, if I switch the WiFi off on the device I'm using and then back on again the speed goes back to the normal 70mpbs.

This is a known issue affecting all firmware builds AFAIK. See here.

@Sarmstr7 wrote:

@bobpullen My router still randomly drops to half the normal speed, would I be able to get the update as I'm still on 263?

This update won't fix a speed issue. Perhaps you're affected by the problem linked above? If so, feel free to post on that thread and we can try something.

@bermudas wrote:

@bobpullen Hi - is there any estimate of when the new firmware will become generally available and pushed to all plusnet hub ones?

Nothing concrete I can share at the moment. There's quite a lot of moving parts and more than one issue we're juggling.

@JestersTear wrote:

I'm on .273 since May and still get the wireless dropouts. Router reset solves for a few days and then they come back.

if you were still experiencing problems then ideally we needed the opportunity to look into it. This update satisfactorily works round the issue for most. I see you've swapped the router out now though.

@Iandfisher wrote:

It's not the same router. It's an older BT HH5 but still far superior to the PN Hub 1.

I can only assume either it's a BT HH5or it's a BT HH5running a dated firmware. The recent BT HH5A's have a similar Wi-Fi composition to the Plusnet Hub One. Worth mentioning to avoid somebody going out and acquiring a BT HH5A only to find they have the same problem.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

mkchris83

Hi @bobpullen - apologies, my line developed a fault on Thursday! Engineer coming Monday apparently. I will come back and ask again once the line is back up!
frankc52
Grafter

You were having the exact problems I was having, reconnection problems with Alexa, Tua lights, Blink cameras, Sky Q box and my iPhones. The tech department said it was a problem with the Apple OS update and said he had a fix, in short after following his instructions for over 40 mins I threw my toys out of my pram as the so-called smart home was not working.

I then bought a BT Smart Hub 6 and was totally amazed at how the system now just works, yes I have split 2.4GHz and 5GHz but now I know the 5GHz is strong and stable all around my 3-bed semi up and down and even out in the garden.

It was such an easy fix and only cost £18.00 via eBay   

hillfort
Dabbler

I am having this problem.

I have bought a TP-Link powerline wi-fi extender. But as yet I am not sure if that resolves the issue.

for info, last night I restarted the router and the problem went away as it does (for a while), I looked at the wifi connections and noticed that wifi connections were pretty equally split between 2.4MHz and 5 MHz bands, this morning I checked again and the router has dropped all 5MHz connections.

I'd guess I'd have 15 or so devices connecting wirelessly including TV's, laptops, tablets, phones, printers and Amazon echos, I wondered whether I was hitting some kind of limit and needed a different router.

enjybenjy
Hooked

It's not something I wanted to do but for the grand total of £14 I bought two BT Home Hub 6. One new, the other secondhand, both of Facebook Marketplace. Set them up with one down and one upstairs same as I had the Plusnet router and everything is brilliant now. No dropouts, faster wireless and no more children nagging that the Internet is [-Censored-] when they're Facetiming their Bestie 🤪 Not ideal spending money on something that you shouldn't have to but well worth it for peace and quiet 😌
Iandfisher
Rising Star

Strangely enough I bought a TP-LINK Powerline WiFi extender yesterday to set up a link in my detached garage. I use the BT HH5 and the TP-LINK gives my 12Mb down and 5Mb up. Before I changed the router to the HH5 my TP-LINK WiFi extender (not the new Powerline) would connect to the Hub1 but wouldn't connect to the Internet. The same thing happened with other smart home devices. My old TP-LINK works perfectly well with the HH5 and the new TP-LINK allows me to connect a switch at the other end.
frankc52
Grafter

Somewhat confused. I was having password problems with the Hub One it would work for some time then our iPhones, Sky Q Box, Blink etc would report the wrong password after being connected for two days. The only way to get back online was to re-start the router. Tech then said they have a new version of software ver 273 which did seem to work for just over a week and all the problems were back with password problems.

The fix was easy! Buy a BT Smart Hub 6 and all was well and working as it should but even better. I thought the problems were back Sat morning 12/9 but it was an Openreach outage and we are all back working.

danhatts

hey Bob,
just wondering if it's possible to have the firmware pushed through to my router?
Had the 5g issue for a while, been looking for ways to rectify it myself and stumbled across this thread.
I am running the .263 version, and had previously split the WiFi signals but it sounds like the new firmware 6my provide a solution?
wes78

Thank you @bobpullen. 5GHz has worked flawlessly again since you pushed out the update.

I hope an automated solution is found soon, for everyone'e sake!

SheffieldHills

Thank you @bobpullen. It's very much appreciated.  I've powered off/on to apply it and it's all good so far.  I can feedback more when we've used it for a while if that's useful.