Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

FIXED
SparkShotSpur

Re: Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

Thanks very much Bob👍
bikeman
Dabbler

@bobpullen I'm sure you are very busy and for an engineer this is pushing your buttons but is this the best use of your time, this adhoc rollout to individual users? Whilst those that aren't aware of this thread get left ignored and slag off Plusnet.

By all accounts you don't know if what you're rolling out even fixes the issues. 

Why not just leave this with the manufacturer and roll us all back to the previous version which seemed to work fine.

JeanThompson

Hi @bobpullen - we have the 263 firmware and are finding the 5ghz WiFi frequently drops out. Could we try the upgrade please?

Many thanks

Jean Thompson

tsmith1

Hi Bob,

I am now able to connect to the 5Ghz band. I didn't think it would be that easy! Thanks for the help. I'll keep an eye on the 5Ghz band and let you know if I have any further issues.

Thanks again!

Indy62
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Hi @bobpullen thanks for the update, I have now turned on my 5ghz and no more dropping out and asking for password. It’s is working fine.
Thank you
nicolalynch

@bobpullen I’ve been having the exact problems described. WiFi dropping and then asking for the password which it then says is wrong repeatedly. Firmware ends in .263.

Main problem seems to be with iPhones although it seems to be affecting other devices now, just not as frequently. It means WiFi is unusable at times if you don’t have mobile data.

Could you please send me the fix. If there’s any other info you need please let me know.

Thanks
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@SD2 @JeanThompson & @nicolalynch - an update has been sent your way. You'll need to reboot your hubs to apply it.

@bikeman wrote:

@bobpullen I'm sure you are very busy and for an engineer this is pushing your buttons but is this the best use of your time, this adhoc rollout to individual users? Whilst those that aren't aware of this thread get left ignored and slag off Plusnet.

It might be argued that it isn't, and some of my effort is in my own time. The alternative though, is not offering any remediation at all and having everybody wait for a 'proper' fix. Also of note is the fact that this issue is not affecting everybody. This is one of the reasons progress has been so slow i.e. we've struggled to identify a reliable reproduction scenario in the lab. I am case in point. I don't seem to suffer this issue across any of the 42 connected devices on my home network Huh

By all accounts you don't know if what you're rolling out even fixes the issues. 

We know that it reverts the Wi-Fi state to a period in time before the problems were reported. We can therefore be pretty confident that it mitigates the issue for most.

Why not just leave this with the manufacturer and roll us all back to the previous version which seemed to work fine.

Rolling to a previous version will completely wipe config to factory default. For obvious reasons, that is not an option. It would also re-introduce problems that have since been fixed. There are reasons why the test/mitigation build cannot be pro-actively deployed to the masses.

Things aren't as simple as they may appear, but every effort continues to be made to crack the problem.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

joanneoakley

@bobpullen I’ve been having the exact problems described. WiFi dropping repeatedly in 5ghz. Firmware ends in .263.

Could you please send the update to me as well as it's extremely frustrating and no other fixes seem to be working.

Thanks

Joanne Oakley

OrigAAmi
Hooked

Hello @bobpullen,

I’ve been having the issues described where WiFi/connection keeps dropping multiple times per day, seems to have got worse in the past 6 months.

Router/Firmware details:  Plusnet Hub One | Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 | Last updated 18/02/19 .

If you think this could be the same issue (even if you don't, tbh) could you push the update out to us as well? Let me know if  we need to do anything more from our end.

Thanks in advance,

Andy Annetts
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@OrigAAmi & @joanneoakley - that's been done for you. You'll need to power off/back on to apply the update.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

OrigAAmi
Hooked

Awesome, thanks @bobpullen. Router seems to have updated, fingers crossed it'll stay connected. Thanks, Andy
BobMoore
Hooked

Can I try the beta edition please
duds
Hooked

I've had the .273 update for around 4 weeks now, unfortunately I can't be very positive about it.

The Wifi issues do appear to be resolved, but hard to prove. However I need to reboot the router every day or so to maintain a reasonably consistent connection.

The internet connection appears to be stable, but hard to test with the router issues.

Like many I upgraded to fibre so I could work at home effectively. Previously connectivity was almost faultless but a little slow on uploads, hence the upgrade to fibre. Since the upgrade (and the new router) performance is inconsistent.

When the .273 update was installed everything seemed rosy, but after a few days the now familiar 'resolving address' appeared in the status bar of the browser. I hadn't enabled Wifi yet.

Over the last few weeks, i've experimented with various settings and network configurations, Wifi on/off 5Ghz on/off, changed DHCP settings, introduced old routers as Wifi hot-spots (TP-link and Sky Hub). Including avoiding Wifi completely and just using a wired connection.

I am also running a VPN throughout much of the day, but I've experienced the same problems at weekends, so ruling that out.

The one observation I can offer from inspecting the router logs is that the DHCP leases appear to be renewing every 15 minutes or so. I don't know if this is normal or not, but seems excessive when the option is set to 5 days.

Conclusion: I hope some of my comments can help, but given the length and duration of this thread a firmware solution isn't coming any time soon. I suggest PlusNet need to recall the routers and send out an alternative that is fit for purpose.

BobMoore
Hooked

Thanks for letting me know.
Leapy
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 3

@duds I updated to the latest firmwear for the Plus One hub and it was OK.

However, I  later got an old secondhand BT hub 6 and I can recommend it. 

See this thread https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-the-BT-Smarthub-6-on-a-Plusnet-Account/m-p/1760865#M21...