Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

FIXED
SAABDude
Grafter

Re: Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

Hi @bobpullen
Update: 24 hrs since switch to channel 44 on 5G (no reboot done) and all devices that were set to 5G are still on it and working ok.
One additional thing I have noticed relates to speed of connection through to the internet itself. Connection of a device to the router via wifi (2G or 5G) seems quick (a couple of seconds) but then connection through to the internet takes another 4 to 8 seconds. This is most noticeable on the tvs and tv streaming services which report the 2 stages of connection so you can see what is going on. Also the tv streaming services don't bring up their home pages immediately as a result of that delay. If you then do a screen refresh (simple up and down the menu) then it does bring up the pages - so it is thus fully connected. Looks like some sort of delay in connecting out to the internet that then hits a timeout on bringing up the homepages.
Have to say I rarely had that issue on Sky fibre BB over the course of 2 years (only switched to PN a few weeks ago) and no changes on my network other than move to PN router. Thus it seems quite noticeable to me. Same on all tv and streaming devices so not device specific.
Not sure if that is any help but all seems to be linked in to connection through to internet itself by the router (either not doing it at all or a bit on the slow side).
Cheers.
rshill1973
Dabbler

Thanks for the feedback @bobpullen 

Unfortunately the issue hasn't been solved by a reboot. This morning I disabled the 5GHz channel, and subsequently my iPhone couldn't even connect with the 2.4GHz channel. Kept coming up with an "incorrect password' error message, despite the password being entered correctly. Other devices, e.g. laptop, Skybox, seemed to be unaffected. So I've re-enabled the 5GHz channel, and my iPhone has re-connected to this, albeit with a tenuous signal strength again.

My main reason for raising on this thread was that there wasn't a signal/range issue with the 2.4GHz channel originally. All devices hooked up, no problem. The issues only started when a 5GHz channel was created for us. And our iPhones often lost connection with this channel whilst we were sitting in the living room, which is very close to the router.

SAABDude
Grafter

Hi @bobpullen
Update: 48 hrs since switching to channel 44 on 5G (no reboot done) and all devices that were set to 5G are still on it and working ok.
This is a variety of Win10 devices, android handsets, tvs and tv streaming boxes.
Perhaps my issue was not the same, even though the symptoms seemed to be the same?
MagNeto
Dabbler

@MagNeto no known issues I'm aware of that would permanently prevent an iPad from connecting; even after a reboot. I can only see one router associated with your account at this side though, and it's offline so not much I can do.

Hi @bobpullen ,

I keep seeing messages talking about wifi login problem with Apple products, but I understand it's not linked to the problem on this thread. If anyone knows the thread, a link would be helpful, thanks.

Re. my router, I do not understand your comment: yes there is only one router connected, the new one. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you can connect two routers on the same line.

Also, what do you mean by "it's offline"? The last time I lost connection and I needed a reboot was on the 12th July (not sure this was related to our problem, as even ethernet-ed PCs lost internet access). I didn't touch the router since. Looking at the uptime, though, I can indeed see that it's been rebooted last Thursday night (16th); this wasn't my doing though, and it's quite unfortunate that it was at that time you looked. Could you tell me how to access the logs to check what happened? I can't seem to find a way, even looking at the different menus on the "Advanced Setting" of the router.

Cheers.

robf1

Hi @bobpullen 

I only joined PlusNet last week and I've had this particular issue occur multiple times already. Please could you update me to version .273 ? Thanks!

SAABDude
Grafter

Hi @bobpullen
Update: 4 days since my switch to channel 44 on 5Ghz (no reboot done) and all devices that were set to 5G are still on it and working ok.

Hopefully this simple change to channel 44 on 5Ghz has resolved my issues.

Ch 44 was recommended (to try first) by PN Helpdesk - then try Ch 36, 40, 48 if 44 didn't work.

I guess that raises another couple of technical questions which may be impacting the issues:

1. why doesn't the auto-channel selection on wifi manage to sort this out "automatically"?

2. why does the device show as connected to the router (during the 5Ghz issue) if it isn't really connected (according to PN Helpdesk)?  Appreciate there could be "shades of grey" / thresholds re this issue.

Will update if my situation changes at all so you have latest info.

Cheers.

Ralphy22

Hi @bobpullen having same issue nothing connecting to 5gh can you send me update 273 thanks
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@robf1 & @Ralphy22 - that's been done for you. You'll need to reboot the router at your side.

@NeilDennis wrote:
I have rebooted twice, but no sign of the update. Version still displays as . 263

Sorry Neil, not sure what happened there! Try another reboot and all should be well.

@rshill1973 wrote:

My main reason for raising on this thread was that there wasn't a signal/range issue with the 2.4GHz channel originally. All devices hooked up, no problem. The issues only started when a 5GHz channel was created for us. And our iPhones often lost connection with this channel whilst we were sitting in the living room, which is very close to the router.

OK, I've pushed the update to your router. I'd be interested to know if it does help.

@MagNeto wrote:

Re. my router, I do not understand your comment: yes there is only one router connected, the new one. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you can connect two routers on the same line.

I can only see a single device associated with your account in our CRM systems. The serial number ends '006'. If you have a different router plugged in, then I'm either looking at the wrong account or the details for the new device have not been correctly logged in the system. Best thing to do is drop me a private message containing your account username, and both the MAC address and serial of the router you have plugged in.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Wrightyp

Hi @bobpullen, could forward the latest FW to my router also please?  Tried to PM you my username but it says I have insufficient  privileges.  Thanks Paul

Leapy
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 3

I posted this https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Is-there-a-better-router-to-replace-the-One-hub-on-fibre/m-p... as was advised to post on this forum to get an update for my Plusnet Hub One | Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 | Last updated 27/02/19

sjblore

Please update my router to the new version - I've been having issues since joining in March. Devices state they have wifi but not internet.

Only found out about version 273 today - I've done everything else suggested by customer services, but no-one thought to share it was a known fault from last year that is causing my broadband issues!

Plusnet Hub One | Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 | Last updated Unknown

Leapy
Seasoned Champion

@sjblore Where can I find out about the upgrade to 273? Can you post a link?

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@Leapy  As you have posted on this thread, I would have assumed that you have read it, I would suggest you do so, particularly all of Bobpullen's posts which will give you the full story. There is no officially released upgrade to fix the 5GHz problem with the Hub 1, Firmware version 273 is a test build with some modifications from a previous build reversed so it is a retrograde step and is not a final solution. There are other test versions that have also been downloaded to some customers but the problem has not been fixed.

A lot of Plusnet customers have ditched the Hub 1 as it is a rather poor device and are using various versions of the BT HH6 which is generally considered to be a much better modem/router with improved wireless range. 

I have never used ISP supplied equipment and have a separate modem and high end router to give more flexible configuration. I realise that the vast majority of users will want a cheap and cheerful plug and play solution that the Hub1 provides but this problem with the WiFi must be causing a lot of grief for both the users and Plusnet who are having a hard time trying to fix it.☹️

rshill1973
Dabbler

Hi @bobpullen version still displays as .263

However, due to other repeated connection failures, we're being sent a new router. Hopefully that will fix both problems.

I'll update on this thread if the new router encounters the same problems as the old one.

Thanks

Leapy
Seasoned Champion

@RealAleMadrid Thank you for the detailed information and the full scope of the issue and challenges. Thumbs_Up

I will look into getting a BT HH6, if only to compare and contrast. 

The PN Engineer split my hub  into  both 2.4 and 5G strands and all devices that can run 5G Hz do so first and that has helped all of my connectivity and stickyness issue. Smiley