Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

FIXED
maddan69
Hooked

Re: Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

So I've joined the masses and bought a BT Home Hub 6, £5 off FB marketplace for a brand new one!  Few minutes to setup and has been rock solid for 3 days and I'm also getting my full speed consistently, not just 5ghz fix.

I agree with all the other posts that this is the best option.

Good luck everyone, maybe Plusnet will eventually get this sorted, but why wait for the sake of a few quid?

Routefinder
Grafter

@maddan69 

Hi

I see you bought the HH6 not the Business Hub6..............

Did you see the HH6 update its firmware in the initial setup..........or has it yet to update its FW?

I ask because I started a thread here about FW updating 'delays'

TIA Smiley

maddan69
Hooked

@Routefinder 

I set the router up Friday afternoon and I've just checked and the firmware was updated on Saturday:

SG4B1000E020

11-Jul-2020

Hope this helps,

Martin

Shmeker
Dabbler

Hi Maddan69,
I've just found one for sale. Is it the type A or type B we need?
Thanks
maddan69
Hooked

@Shmeker 

From what I read in the forums, they both work.  I've got a Type A.

Shmeker
Dabbler

@maddan69,
Thanks, I only asked as I read somewhere only type B would work.
I'll go for it, just hoping I'll be alright setting it up as I'm not tech savvy.
Hopefully there will be some sort of instruction on here with step by step guide how to do it🤞. I'm fed up with this issue and still 9 months left on my contact with PN
mindmagic
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Has anyone tried connecting a mesh system to a Hub One?

androidtanmay
Grafter

@maddan69 

Can you please check and let know if the router is rebooting/restarting everyday around midnight? You can check that by looking at the DSL uptime and the technical logs under advanced settings option

Routefinder
Grafter

@maddan69 

Hi Martin

Thanks for the reply Smiley

Can I just ask, at the time of plugging in you HH6 were you already on the PN Phone service?

The reason I ask is all related to  my thread here https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/BT-Business-Smart-Hub-6-firmware-updating-question/m-p/17509...

And wondering if the fact that though I am now on fibre, the phone is still not due to change from BT to PN until the 16th July...........so curious whether if for some reason only beknown to itself TR69 system needs to have an appropriately assigned(?) phone line to be fully operational???

Cheers

KevinKilford

I have an ASUS blue cave router with the PN FTTP.
I bought it for the AC capabilities (multi antenna for extra speed, plus beam forming etc.), but it does include mesh capabilities.
The mesh doesn't need to be compatible with PN, just the modem part of the router, so an ASUS mesh should work with this type of router.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@Shmeker @Chappers2000 @miyuu @adrianhull @garyrwilson68 & @mikeuknl - I've pushed an update to each of your routers. You'll need to reboot in order to apply it.

@globey @Rosebud123 @JPalmer91 & @kmmfc - Ditto for you, although based on your descriptions it sounds like you may have some other problems at play too.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

briston
Aspiring Pro

Yes I have connected a mesh to a hub1, but as was pointed out there is a, maybe insignificant, problem.

I purchased a deco5, well 2 units. 1 disk was Ethernet connected to the hub1. the other connected itself wirelessly to the original disk. The mesh was left in its default router cinfigurstion. I turned off the WiFi on the hub1. Instant cure of problems.

The technical problem. I was advised I was 'double NATing' so either configure the mesh as access point or leave it double NATed. I choose to ditch the hub1 and purchased a second hand modem.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@liamosullivan @duds @mindmagic @caledoniang @JayZee64 @jamieboot @lloydbayliss @BigTedh & @John_Bowman - Same applies. You've had an update pushed but you'll need to reboot to apply it.

@SUB_W - I'm struggling to locate your device so you might be better off dropping me a private message containing your account username and hub serial number.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@Cosmopolish @Nuka & @mlilley2001 - Again, if you reboot your respective routers when convenient then you should find they have received an update.

For anybody else that has posted over the last few weeks, your devices no longer appear online so I'm taking it as safe to assume that you have since swapped the Hub One out for something else.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@Error_404 wrote:

Hi @bobpullen,

Not sure what you mean? They won't connect to the 5GHz Wi-Fi network, or via ethernet cable? SOmething else is going on if that's the case. Are they able to connect tot he 2GHz Wi-Fi?"

Sony TV (+others) will NOT connect to the 5GHz wifi, I have tried to connect using the following connections i)Wifi, and ii)WPS, none of these will connect. They all are able to connect to the 2GHz. with WiFi. Equipment connected fine to 5GHz with previous Broadband supplier.

*Was trying to connect to the 5GHz wifi while the Ethernet was conneced, made no difference.

There are continuous dropout issues from the router.

This is while the router is still on with the Blue light, on the 2GHz network. This is less than before the update but still happens occcasionally.

Today it seems it's back to square one. the update seem to have worked for a while but again none of the PCs are able to connect to the 5GHz.. Error Message - Unable to connect to this Network.

Did you try forgetting the Wi-Fi connection on all of your affected devices as suggested? You seem to be an exception in that you're continuing to experience the same symptoms. Does your router definitely show that it's now running the .273 build?

Another suggestion you might want to try is separating the 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks by giving them different SSIDs/names. You can then selectively connect your devices to the channel of your choosing.

@skibuddy wrote:

Since the .273 update my connection has been much better, thanks. However I have noticed a hardware problem in that the router makes a high pitched noise when I download on 5Ghz. Also I have about 55Mb download showing in the admin screen but devices immediately next to the router only report a max of 29Mb download speed on 5Ghz wireless, so quite a drop off. not sure if this is related to the noise and just coincidental. Will report a fault on the modem and I guess I will need to get the firmware flashed again 😞

The high pitched noise has been observed by others in the past. Upon investigation it seems that it's related to some of the componentry. It's not indicative of a problem and has been attributed to manufacturing tolerances. We can try a replacement but there's not guarantee it will resolve the issue.

The reduced throughput on the 5GHz channel is likely attributed to the issue being discussed here and can be temporarily cured with a reboot. 

@Bernard-Shakey wrote:
@bobpullen 
I have had the 273 for a while now. I separated the signals, not because I knew what to do but more because others had done it before me, some with a modicum of success. 

It started off OK, but then the issues with incorrect passwords (ipad) and either not seeing the 5 gh signal, or not being able to conect to it (note 9 and galaxy s8) arose again. 

I installed a TP Link deco m5 system in the house last week, and have subsequently switched off the WiFi signal on the hub1 router. So far, so good.

Concerning that you continued to experience problems. Your router correctly reports that it's on the .273 build I assume? Not sure there's much we can do to investigate whilst the Deco is in use.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team