Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

FIXED
briston
Aspiring Pro

Re: Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

@Routefinder after a while of updates, experimentation etc I also decided that the money I was spending getting internet was being wasted at the last hurdle with the hub1.
I have ditched the hub1 and enjoy consistent streaming on both 5GHz and 2.4GHz, no throughout issues and no reboots every night.
Surely it is clear now. There is an instant fix and it involves removing the hub1.
That's another 2p worth.
Iandfisher
Rising Star

I see that more and more people are waking up to the fact that PN are still supplying the faulty router to new customers with one poster even stating that PN telephone tech support dismissed any problem with the Hub1. I bought a BT HH6 last year and I'm very glad that I did especially through the CV lockdown. I've done my research and I'm on my count down chuff chart to moving to Vodafone BB in the near future. Vodafone will even give me up to £100 to cover any cancellation fees meaning that I can leave PN 4 months earlier than planned.

kmmfc

Hi ... had this issue now since joining Plusnet and with remote working it’s now becoming extremely frustrating!

Could I get the update pushed to my router please @bobpullen ?

Plusnet Hub One | Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 | Last updated Unknown

Brief description of the problem, and how is masquerades itself. What are the symptoms? How frequently does it happen? All devices ... iPhones, Kindle Tablets, Windows laptops intermittently (several times a day) lose connection to the hub before eventually reconnecting.

Do the devices having problems appear to be connected or associated with the hub? Is the hub status indicator normal/blue when the problem occurs? Yes, hub status remains blue.

Do you have the 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels merged (default setting) or split (different wireless network names)? If the networks are named differently, does the problem only affect the 5GHz network? Default.

Once the problem occurs is it persistent? Do you have any devices wired to the router and does the problem affect them at the same time? Yes, appears to affect all devices at the same time.

Are you able to reproduce the problem reliably? Do you think you have a way of triggering it? [for example waking a specific device from power save mode] Not able to trigger.

Is the problem always resolved by rebooting the hub? If so, how long does it take before problems recur? It is resolved at that point with a reboot but just comes back again afterwards.

If specific devices are always impacted when problems occur, please provide details of which devices are impacted and which aren't i.e. manufacturer, model, variant and operating system version. All impacted.

Have the devices experiencing problems recently received any patches that might correspond with the time the issue first occurred? No.

Please provide a description of your home network setup and all devices in use including whether or not you're using any additional switches, Powerline adapters or wireless access points. No additional switches or access points.
John_Bowman

Could I also please have the .273 (if this is still the best option usually) update pushed to my router, @bobpullen ? My son-in-law @grahamt has advised me that I need it.

Flipper101

Well I've given up and bought a BT Homehub 6 at my own expense.. Pretty poor this has not been solved 😕
Cosmopolish
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Can I add to the chorus and also request the firmware update please?

supernoodles
Grafter

can i please be added to the list for the fixed firmware also? fedup of rebooting my router and risking a loss of speed

Nuka

Have disabled 5GHz so would like to try this new firmware asap please.

mindmagic
Rising Star

Please also add me to the list (if there is one) for the new firmware. @bobpullen 

Cosmopolish
Dabbler

Just to update all who are reading this: I spoke on the phone to the tech support yesterday asking about the new firmware and how to get it on my router and was told that Plusnet had been working on it and doing testing. When I asked how soon could I expect to get it installed I was not given any specific time frame for it - it could be weeks or months - but when it happens it will be pushed remotely to all connected routers. 

Anyway, with no certain date in sight I decided to order a third party router.

SteveA
Pro
Fixes: 3

@Cosmopolish - what third party router did you go for?

Cosmopolish
Dabbler

@SteveA I ordered this one: TP-Link AC1600 Wireless Dual Band.

The tech support guy recommended BT Smart Hub 6. I got one second hand about a year ago and it worked great but died suddenly last week. The only issue with it was the set up - the first time and whenever I had to do a factory reset - as it is BT dedicated there is some changes you need to do in admin setup. I've had a brief encounter with a TP-Link router and set up was a breeze as it had a "smart setup" option where you choose you ISP and just basically input your Plusnet username and password. When I mention that to the support guy he also had good things to say about those routers. 

Chappers2000
Hooked

That looks like a decent option. TP-Link have a few Modem/Router devices in their range that should do the trick.

I'm going to hang on for a bit longer to see if PlusNet can issue the firmware update to make the HubOne work properly - just because I haven't had the time or inclination to research and fork out for my own hardware - but that may well still be the long-term solution for me too.

As it stands currently, I've disabled the 5Ghz on the HubOne, and added in a Linksys EA6350 that I had in the garage to take on 5Ghz duties in Access Point mode. This is at least allowing me to work from home properly in a household that also likes to watch Netflix and play online Playstation during the day.

Would be nice if @bobpullen could check back in with this thread and provide us all with an update as to what's going on.

mlilley2001

can i please be added to the list for the fixed firmware also? fed-up of rebooting my router and risking a loss of speed

cc  @bobpullen 

mlilley2001

NB when it works, the 5ghz is great