Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

FIXED
Silvers1
Hooked

Re: Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

@penfold 

Thank you so so much for this. It has really, really helped. You have no idea!!

As well as the other issues everyone else has listed here about the Router which we have also been having, as I said our sky boxes started playing up too and I had no idea whether there was a connection or not. Now I know they are separate issues that simplifies things a lot.

I have just replaced our Router with a TP link Archer 2800 because I was absolutely fed up with the other issues of 5ghz dropping. Openreach came a few days ago and said there was no problem with our line although he did replace the old single socket Master Socket with a new double one so I don't need to use microfilters and he did something at the green box up the road. I use 5Ghz on my new Dell laptop and also on my phone - everything else is 2.4Ghz and I want the faster speed I get from 5Ghz

Sky engineer is booked for tomorrow and I began to wonder if I was wasting his time if it was to do with the Plusnet Router - or if I still have a line problem, not identified. Seems it is a separate problem then. Thank you so so much. I have been worrying about wasting his time!!

Hopefully the new Router will sort out my other issues. It does exactly as it is supposed to without having to separate out the 2.4 from the 5 ghz

penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

There are plenty of posts on the sky community forum, about issues with connectivity between the main and mini boxes. My preference is ethernet every time, its much more stable and reliable for streaming but it does take a bit more time to setup properly if you need to run cables. Sky do have a preference for wireless likely because it is quicker to set up and most users don't have a problem. I've left mine ethernet from main to router, and sky mesh network to mini box as the tv upstairs is not UHD, and minis max resolution is 1080p anyway.
Silvers1
Hooked

@penfold 

Thank you. Will pursue that separately but at least know I know it is a separate issue, which given all the other problems I was having with the Plusnet Router was difficult for me  to establish. Ethernet connection between my main box and the mini is simply not a practical proposition - but thank you for your help and information. It is much appreciated

penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

If sky can't get the 5ghz mesh to work reliably, then you could try powerline networking...
Routefinder
Grafter

@bobpullen 

Hi Bob

I will have to add my tale of woe(?) to this thread.

I am a new Hub One user and from the start I set the two radio channels to separated Smiley

However, only a few days in (this morning) we had WiFi "No Internet" issues.

I tried:- setting longer lease times, Fixed IP's, turning off the 5Ghz radio etc(?)

But the only thing that seemed to 'cure' it was to reboot the router and all was hunky dorey...........for now.

This of course makes me wonder that as reports of this happening are not, apparently, affecting every single Hub One?  Is there a definable pattern based on serial numbers that might revealed itself in the PN database of those numbers in the TR69 system???

Having speculated about that 🙄 maybe the .273 firmware will help me?  Or, do I, for some peace of mind and aim for greater reliability of WiFi connection get myself a BT HH6......or other brand model?

Thanks in advance for your insight.

PS I was loath to reboot the Hub One because it is still in the primary DLM period (Note ~ the reboot resulted in a slight drop in the speeds!

hurdygurdy

Two weeks in on .273 - no disconnects & no other issues.

It seems to solve all the 5ghz problems a lot of people have been having.

Still can't work out why Plusnet won't push this out to everyone.

lloydbayliss

Hi @bobpullen 

Been getting strange WiFi disconnects for a while now, only on some devices and only resolved by rebooting the router.  Finally got around to diagnosing the issue today and realised the issue was related to the 5ghz network.  Some googling brought me to these threads and the realisation that it's not a problem with my setup!

I disabled the 5ghz network when I realised where the problem was, so could I please request a firmware update to a version that resolves this issue?  My current version is "Plusnet Hub One | Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 | Last updated 27/02/19"

Many thanks,

Lloyd Bayliss

Flipper101

877 posts already ?! Impressive..
Please can I be added to the list of people suffering with this. It is affecting my ability to work from home.
Many wifi dropouts / "no internet connection errors" / devices failing to authenticate.. It is so frustrating!!

Was fine for 6 months before the issues started so I'm assuming a firmware problem.
maddan69
Hooked

Hi @bobpullen 

Please can you add me to the list for the new firmware?  I've got the exact same problems, tried everything in this thread and still the 5GHZ drops after a short while.  I've just called the help desk and they couldn't help me!  Hopefully you can schedule the new firmware to my router.

My current version is "Plusnet Hub One | Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 | Last updated Unknown"

Many thanks,

Martin

Chappers2000
Hooked

It's been 2 weeks since any PlusNet staff have been on this thread. Could someone at PlusNet give us a formal update please - there are a lot of patient (and impatient) customers waiting to have this problem resolved.

I've temporarily rigged up a secondary router in Access Point mode via Powerline Networking to take care of the 5Ghz duties whilst waiting for the fix firmware - just so that I can work from home on my 2.4Ghz only laptop and not get frozen out when someone else in the house is streaming a movie on Netflix, but it's not what I would ideally like to be doing. It's messy and wasting electricity having more stuff plugged in that I should need to. I'd rather the supplied PlusNet hub just worked properly...

BigTedh

Hello, I am also experiencing this same frustrating problem and having to restart my router numerous times in a day. Please can I be added to the list for a change of firmware. Many thanks.

barnsleypal

Hi

My Hub One loses 5ghz connectivity on nearly a weekly basis.

I'm fairly competent with router settings and have tried all of the solutions offered by other on this forum, but to no avail.

My router firmware is :-

Duncan60

update: 5ghz wireless still good, no dropouts, everything else working ok since update.Thanks @bobpullen  Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.273 | Last updated 25/06/20

DenisCrickets
Hooked

Hi all,

after a year of plusnet I decided to give up. My contract is terminating and the issue hasn't been resolved yet. 

Thanks to 

They can have the best support ever but if they keep sending out [-Censored-] routers they fall at the worst position of the chart.

Goodbye Plusnet.

Routefinder
Grafter

I feel the pain of all those who have the failure of the WiFi ,apparently cured with a firmware update.

However, I have been a PN customer since 2003 and have never kept with the PN supplied router.  Before fibre I was on my second purchased router, that being  a Billion 7800DXL, which replaced my Netgear (834DG, I think was the model).

The only reason I got the Billion was because I thought I might go fibre back then and it had the settings available to configure it for use with a Fibre Modem.

Though I think it would be good to see the Hub One improved with (the apparent) 'fix' firmware, I for one have decided to get another of my own routers. 

I do not see the modest amount spent on another router as too hard a hit bearing in mind it should outlive my current contract ~ the cost equates to £2.71 per month when ammortised into the calculations of the 2 year contract.  The one I picked this time is the BT Business Smart Hub 6................so yes, in future I have by choosing that one limited myself to PN or BT (or any other that is in effect a 'BT' service'.

Should I have to buy a new router, No! But would I to ensure an improved service 'for me' , Yes.

It is of course a personal choice.

Just my 2p's worth that others might find of interest???

PS I can only surmise that the issue of WiFi failing in a manner that needs a Hub One reboot is not affecting "all" Hub Ones, otherwise such a widespread failure would be wider known................as to what it is about an apparently significant minority of the Hub Ones 'breaking' in this manner, I would really like to know!