Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

FIXED
Bernard-Shakey
Dabbler

Re: Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

@bobpullen
I have had the 273 for a while now. I separated the signals, not because I knew what to do but more because others had done it before me, some with a modicum of success.

It started off OK, but then the issues with incorrect passwords (ipad) and either not seeing the 5 gh signal, or not being able to conect to it (note 9 and galaxy s8) arose again.

I installed a TP Link deco m5 system in the house last week, and have subsequently switched off the WiFi signal on the hub1 router. So far, so good.

Not sure where that leaves me in regards to upgrading, or indeed downgrading, the pushed .273 update?

I guess if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Or if it is broke, and you don't use it, leave alone.

I will let you decide.

Thanks meantime for all your work on this Bob, it is appreciated.

Dave.
paul_edwin
Grafter

In case anybody's wondering how much difference the .273 firmware and 21 day DHCP lease make: my router's been like that for four weeks now without needing a reboot, when it used to need kicking once or twice a week. 5GHz connection has been nice and stable the whole time.

Of course, I've probably jinxed it now, but it's very promising 🤞

briston
Aspiring Pro

@Bernard-Shakey I got fed up with waiting for a fix considering the problems with the hub1 so I did as you did. Switched off the WiFi and connected a Deco M5. Instant cure and has been so now for 3 weeks. No disconnects, no dropouts, fast throughput. However, although it did not seem detrimental it was pointed out that I was double NATing. Yes I had to look up what the problem was and potential problems.

To cut a longer story short the hub1 cannot be configured to overcome this so there are 2 solutions.
1. Set the Deco as access point instead of router. The disadvantage of this is you lose some of the features of the Deco. The advantages is it's a simple cure.
2. Replace the hub1 with a modem. I took that route.

As an extra, I have now added another Deco and got a mesh with brilliant coverage.
RM79
Dabbler

I wouldn't say the hub 1 cannot be configured to resolve this, since having .273 firmware pushed out to my router I have had no 5ghz drop outs, I'm not sure why this hasn't been rolled out as a firmware update to all routers maybe @bobpullen can enlighten us on this?
briston
Aspiring Pro

@RM97 I am not sure if you were commenting on my recent post when you repeat my post 'the hub1 cannot be configured to resolve this' . If it was a reference to my post perhaps my wording was not clear.

The reference to not being able to configure was in relation to avoiding double NATing when connecting a Deco M5, not referring to solving the reported problems with the hub1.

I would point out however that I do have the 273 firmware which although may have solved one problem there were throughput and also unexplained disconnections. Note, that is my experience and may or may not be the same for anyone else.

In conclusion, after a lot of patience and testing and having a hub1 with 273 firmware I needed something that was reliable.

I have a HG612 3B modem and Deco 5.
jotate1966

Came back to Plusnet as BT dropped Occasionally

Plusnet dropping Constantly

Can see that the few devices we have are all on 2.4ghz, and nothing on 5Ghz, so not just the 5 dropping 2.4 is too

Any ideas or do we all have to Just Wait for .274 Firmware @bobpullen . 

Cheers 

Bernard-Shakey
Dabbler

@briston

I would be interested to know what kind of router you purchased to replace your hub1. That might be an alternative for me.

Cheers
Dave
Out of interest, what features of the deco do we lose by having it in AP mode.
briston
Aspiring Pro

my set up.

The hub1 is a combined modem and router. Because of the firmware of the hub1 it is not possible to configure it as a modem only in what is known as bridge mode. Which is ideally required to attach a router to it.

The first stage was to turn off the WiFi on the hub1 then Ethernet cable from hub1 to a Deco M5. The Deco is the router. Instant cure of all ills for me.
This however is not technically ideal. Won't go into it here but thanks to @Baldrick1 for putting me in the right direction.

The next stage. Replace the hub1 completely.

I purchased a HG612 3B modem. These are available second hand from the well known auction site or Google. I found a firm selling them. I then unlocked it although I understand this is not a requirement but you can get extra details from it if you do. I cannot comment if it works without the unlocking.

The next bit was to put the log in details for my plusnet account into the Deco. So from bt socket to HG612 3B. from HG612 3B to Deco.

I have now purchased a second Deco to greatly increase coverage but that is nothing to do with getting things to work.

I am no expert, but when pointed in the right direction I can learn. I also learn by try it and see.. For me, it has worked, no problems for 3 weeks.

I have not given the detailed step by step, but the principle.

The main thing you lose if you operate the Deco in access point mode rather than router mode is QoS settings

Yes it has cost money but I pay 19.80/month line rental and fibre plus. It's wasted money if I can't use it.
Shmeker
Dabbler

Hi all,
If I purchase bt home hub 2 type B, would it work as I've had enough?
Thanks in advance
JPalmer91

@bobpullen Could I please get the .273 patch pushed to my router. I seem to be unable to message you the serial number of the router so how do I get it to you?

1. Brief description of the problem, and how is masquerades itself. What are the symptoms? How frequently does it happen? Chronic issues with Wireless across most devices. This manifests with devices not being able to connect, intermittent drop outs on certain devices.

2. Do the devices having problems appear to be connected or associated with the hub?  Is the hub status indicator normal/blue when the problem occurs? The router is always blue and the devices appear on the list of connected devices

3. Do you have the 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels merged (default setting) or split (different wireless network names)? If the networks are named differently, does the problem only affect the 5GHz network? Seperate or not, it seems to effect both and turning off the 5GHz doesn't seem to help

4. Once the problem occurs is it persistent?  Do you have any devices wired to the router and does the problem affect them at the same time?  Wired devices are unaffected. The problem can persist all day or intermittently

5. Are you able to reproduce the problem reliably? Do you think you have a way of triggering it? [for example waking a specific device from power save mode] I think so. It seems to be exacerbated by our work laptops, which both use VPNs to connect to corporate networks. I might be imagining it but when we switch these devices off we are much less likely to have problems. And the intermittent wireless manifests differently on these devices i.e. it interrupts streaming of video or video/voice calls without dropping out completely as if its dropping packets. However on other devices (our personal devices phones, kindles etc) once you've established connection it tends to be more reliable (at least for a while).

6. Is the problem always resolved by rebooting the hub?  If so, how long does it take before problems recur? Yes, this can solve the problem for a few hours, no longer.

7. If specific devices are always impacted when problems occur, please provide details of which devices are impacted and which aren't i.e. manufacturer, model, variant and operating system version. All devices are affected.

8. Have the devices experiencing problems recently received any patches that might correspond with the time the issue first occurred? Not that I know of

9. Please provide a description of your home network setup and all devices in use including whether or not you're using any additional switches, Powerline adapters or wireless access points.  No additional wireless devices. Just the Plusnet Hub.
LauraCow

@bobpullen

Hey any chance of also getting the update? Had the Open reach engineer out today and hes tried everything but it all comes up perfect his side.

Myself and my partner are in public services (NHS and local council) and trying to work from home and been having troubles since day one.

Same as others. Connecting but no Internet etc.

Thanks!
CymonP
Grafter

To those having connection issues:  Turn off the 5GHz wifi.  This is where the problem seems to lie and if it's turned off then all your devices will use the 2.4GHz wifi which seems to work fine (on its own).  It's not really an acceptable solution -- we were supplied with a router which isn't performing properly -- but should resolve connection issues and handle throughput  for smaller households. 

If this doesn't work for you then I apologise for suggesting it, but it did for me and, from what I've read here, also does for many others.

Silvers1
Hooked

@CymonP 

Do you have a Sky Q box and a mini box? There is a hidden 'mesh' connection between the 2 boxes which operates on 5Ghz although the main Sky Q box connects via 2.4Ghz to the router (you can't see it if you look under settings, but you can access a hidden menu which allows you to see both).   

I don't understand whether the 5Ghz connection between the 2 boxes comes via the router or whether the 2 sky boxes set up something else between them unrelated to the Plusnet Router. If the former you won't want to switch of the 5Ghz if you have a Sky Q minibox 

Does anyone here actually know if the Mesh Network between the 2 sky boxes is dependant on the 5Ghz supplied by the Plusnet Router or if it is independent? We are still having mega connectivity issues on the sky boxes and I don't know if it is connected to Plus Net or a separate issue altogether

penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Hi. The q boxes form their own separate mesh network, that does not have anything to do with the 5ghz on the router. The main box then uses either ethernet or 2.4ghz to connect to the router. You can turn off this mesh network and use ethernet to connect the mini box to the main box. I have mine on a 5ghz mesh, but main box uses ethernet to connect to the Internet, in my view much more reliable certainly if you are streaming or downloading UHD content. There are lots of guides out there describing how to connect your boxes without wireless. Have sky trued using boosters at all... Do you have an older house with thick walls?Huh
CymonP
Grafter

@Silvers1

No, no Sky boxes or anything else like that.  When first received, all was well with the new router for several months but then I started having the 'no internet' on 5GHz connected devices issue and other connection problems.  I've had the ...273 update which helped, but then the low throughput on 5GHz issue appeared!  That clears for a week or two with a reboot.  Not at all satisfactory, really.