cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

FIXED
hurdygurdy

Re: Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

One week in on .273 & the 5ghz problem seems to have been sorted - no disconnects in over a week.

I'm not sure why Plusnet can't update everyone to this firmware it would save a lot of headaches, they must have their reasons I guess.

Thanks @bobpullen 

Blackadda1

I have decided to give up on the plusnet router. I have instead bought a TP link AX50 which does everything the plusnet one is supposed to such as auto switching between 2.4 and 5ghz. No disconnects or problems. Took minutes to setup. Needless to say plusnet fibre provides a great internet connection to my home but the plusnet router is a Big let down.
Rosebud123

Hello
I'm new to PN and am also having wifi issues from day one. Speeds coming in are stable enough but my wifi keeps glitching on all devices, some worse than others. No issue when hard wired however this is not a sustainable option. I rely on wifi calling which drops out constantly and cannot sustain calls over skype, facetime, viber or watsApp. This has made for very challenging WFH! I've been on the phone a few times and been through the usual channel changes to no avail. The frequencies are now split and I've been advised to turn off mobile data and wifi on all devices when not being used. The mention of hub issues was rejected by the tech support today - denial is really not helpful. I've checked the router's firmware and its on -263. Is there any merit in having this new upgrade. Your advice would be welcomed.
Tags (1)
liamosullivan
Dabbler

This is fantastic news. Hope Plusnet listen and roll out to all.

Duncan60

This is my second router with 263 firmware, both had the same 5g issue. But the caveat! Firstly the upgraded router has not been running for 24 hrs yet, so it's early days to say " it's fixed" yet. Second advice download WiFi analyser, and make sure you have complete signal loss when you are stood next to the router. Check there are no conflicting signals on the channel you are using, that the channel is free. Are you using an Amazon fire stick ? If so this creates a signal on the same channel on 2.4 or 5g depending on how it is connected, and frustratingly, it will change channels and frequency, if you change the routers channel and frequency, and it will "follow you around", this is a known problem, ( I thought I had someone trying to hack my network, but the huge signal strength I got led me to the real culprit) the only way to stop it that is to turn the fire stick off. Try that to see if things improve. I'll post back in a week or so to let you know how the new firmware is doing.
SUB_W

I also have a problem with 5Ghz not working. Devices connect but no internet access. Rebooting router fixes the problem for a little while. I'm on .263 firmware too. For the moment I have disabled 5Ghz but it's not ideal and would like to give the firmware update a trial.
globey
Hooked

Just a quick update.. we still had drop-outs after extending the DHCP lease time so I've now disabled 5GHz. We've had no issues since then, but the network is visibly slower.

Any chance I can get this firmware update, @bobpullen ?

Thanks
caledoniang

Having given up with the HH6, could I please have this firmware as well? The 5 gHz drop is driving me up the wall.

MKChris
Dabbler

Having switched to HH6 to get round the problem wondering why you've gone back to hub one?
Tags (1)
Silvers1
Hooked

@bobpullen 

I am having the same problem with 5ghz on my Plusnet Hub One | Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263. Any chance I can get the .273 pushed out to my router please?

1. The blue light stays on, on the hub1, but the 5ghz drops out . I use my laptop for several hours a day, so that is where I usually notice it happening. It dropped for about 24 hours the other day, briefly came back and then dropped again. The 2.4ghz usually works  - but sometimes I have to reinput the network key to get reconnected

2. Messages on my laptop usually say 'connected no internet' although occasionally it will say cannot connect instead

3. I contacted customer services who talked me through splitting the bandwidths, so that has been done

4. An even bigger impact is on my Sky Q and Sky Q mini box. The main SkyQ box connects via 2.4 ghz to the hub but it uses 5ghz to connect with the Sky Q mini-box so we lose that too and this happens multiple times a day - until I reset the router

5. Things connected using 2.4ghz are ok (smart phones, kindles etc)

6.  There is no obvious reason for it to drop. I can be in the middle of doing something, and OH watching telly and it just goes

7. Rebooting the router solves the problem for a limited period of time - this can be between a few minutes to several days

It is driving me completely insane. So unhappy that I have moved across to Plusnet in March as I have never had these kind of problems previously. The Speed though of my Superfast Broadband is excellent, when it works...

JayZee64

@bobpullen 

Could I get the updated pushed out to me too? 

I am on  Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 and I am getting disconnected from the Wifi on 5GHz 3 to 5 times a day. Rebooting solves it only for so long.

Thanks, Jay

caledoniang

I had some other problems with the HH6 and my printers!

@bobpullen can I please have the firmware upgrade? Thanks, CG

skibuddy

Since the .273 update my connection has been much better, thanks. However I have noticed a hardware problem in that the router makes a high pitched noise when I download on 5Ghz. Also I have about 55Mb download showing in the admin screen but devices immediately next to the router only report a max of 29Mb download speed on 5Ghz wireless, so quite a drop off. not sure if this is related to the noise and just coincidental. Will report a fault on the modem and I guess I will need to get the firmware flashed again 😞

jamieboot

Hi there @bobpullen 

I am also having problems with the 5ghz connection dropping regularly 

I am on 4.7.5.1.83.8.263

use name is

jamieboot@plusdsl.net

Can you please update my router also?

Thanks

Jamie

Silvers1
Hooked

@bobpullen 

UPDATE 29th June

I had the Openreach engineer this morning (finally). He couldn't find an actual fault on the line ( I also had problems with a noisy telephone line), which Customer services have been saying wasn't connected to the internet issue,  however he removed our very old master socket, which he said was never meant to be used with Fast Fibre, and replaced it with a new double one so I don't need to use a microfilter any more. He also said he was going to replace/fix some connector at the green street box. The telephone line is now MUCH better, and so far no internet drop outs, although it is early days!  It may be that I don't need the .273 update - still be good to have it, UNLESS it is also causing potential other problems in which case, please cancel my request to have my router updated. Cheers