Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

FIXED
adrianhull

Re: Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

Hello @bobpullen 

Like other people i have the 5G Wifi problem which is grinding my,,,, well the little one shouts when the internet is not working correctly.

PN did send me a new router but this one also has a 5G problem, its still on the .263 firmware, could it be adjusted to the .273 version.

I did see in one of the many pages just to ask so here goes.

Thanks

ADE

Shmeker
Dabbler

Hi @RM79,
Can you please let us know in a weeks time or so if you still have no issues with the 5ghz band so we can ask @bobpullen for an upgrade of the firmware?
Thanks in advance
RM79
Dabbler

It's been 1 week since I had the firmware .273 pushed out to my router and all seems to be good at the moment, I don't know why Plusnet don't just roll it out to everyone 🤔
garyrwilson68

Hi ... had this issue now for a number of months ... it's incredibly frustrating 😞

Could I get the update pushed to my router please @bobpullen ?

Plusnet Hub One | Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 | Last updated 15/02/19

1. Brief description of the problem, and how is masquerades itself. What are the symptoms? How frequently does it happen? All devices ... iPhones, iPads, Macbooks, Windows laptops intermittently (several times a day) lose connection to the hub before eventually reconnecting.

2. Do the devices having problems appear to be connected or associated with the hub?  Is the hub status indicator normal/blue when the problem occurs? Yes, hub status remains blue.

3. Do you have the 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels merged (default setting) or split (different wireless network names)? If the networks are named differently, does the problem only affect the 5GHz network? Default.

4. Once the problem occurs is it persistent?  Do you have any devices wired to the router and does the problem affect them at the same time? Yes, appears to affect all devices at the same time.

5. Are you able to reproduce the problem reliably? Do you think you have a way of triggering it? [for example waking a specific device from power save mode] Not able to trigger.

6. Is the problem always resolved by rebooting the hub?  If so, how long does it take before problems recur? Seems to resolve with a reboot, only to come back usually the same day or day after.

7. If specific devices are always impacted when problems occur, please provide details of which devices are impacted and which aren't i.e. manufacturer, model, variant and operating system version. All impacted.

8. Have the devices experiencing problems recently received any patches that might correspond with the time the issue first occurred? No.

9. Please provide a description of your home network setup and all devices in use including whether or not you're using any additional switches, Powerline adapters or wireless access points. No additional switches or access points. 
MaydayUK

Hi all,

Same issue with 5 GHz connection or I should say the inability to connect. I actually don’t remember how long we are dealing with this issue, around a year I suppose. The internet slows down, pages won’t load, 5 ghz is asking for password which is always “incorrect”.

I have Plusnet hub one with the version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 last updated 26/3/19 and reading through this topic I suspect this is the devil which caused dropping of the internet connection. Only resolution is to restart the router which, to be honest, I had enough with.

Could my issue also be looked into and, perhaps, different software be pushed to my router with the hope it will solve this common connectivity problem. Pretty please.

NB. That’s a screenshot from my router and, as you can see, no connections to 5 ghz at all Sad

_tm_13
Hooked

@bobpullen best part of a month since receiving .273 and we've had no issues with our 5ghz wifi. Many thanks, Tom.

howardbut

Had issue with 5GHz for a few months and I only noticed this forum today (and after I bought a 2nd hand BT Smart Hub 2).

Before switching to the BT Hub:

1. Couldn't connected to the 5G if 2.4 and 5GHz share the same SSID

2. Connection to 5GHz okay if I apply different SSID for each channel. However max speed is limited to 10Mbit/s

Now, with the BT Smart Hub 2 plugged in, all wifi issues are resolved and much better coverage also. I have no idea why Plus.net still offer their customers the old Hub... 

Duncan60

Hi Bob, In January we received a replacement router (with .263) to solve a different issue, a week or so later the 5g stopped working. Restarting the router, fixed it, but it was only temporary, it kept happening, it would last a day, or several days, but it kept happening, lockdown provided many more urgent distractions. A week a go I rang for help, various options gone through, checking for conflicting channels, etc, etc,, but it was decided to try another router. It arrived yesterday, and had .263 on it. This morning the 5g is down again. The WiFi is split, 2.4 g works but, can be glitchy. Could you possibly push the updated firmware to me. It's been going on now, way too long. Thanks
globey
Hooked

Yup, me too - I've had this problem since I got my new router when upgrading to Fibre last August. Can't believe I've lived with it this long! It's become more obvious since working from home in March. I've not done any troubleshooting with it really - so my 2.4/5GHz networks are still merged.

I got a new phone around the same time so initially assumed it was that - but then it became clear that other devices were affected.

Happens at least once a day on our phones - connection looks fine, but WhatsApp messages will be pending and internet-connected apps will not update. After a minute or so, it's fine again.

Hub light appears blue throughout. I used to fix it by rebooting but it'll be back very soon so I don't bother any more.

Looking at the hub today, it did occur to me that only those devices connected on 5Hz are affected - I have a Samsung Galaxy A5 and a couple of Chromecasts which seem to work fine and they're both on 2.4.

Sounds like I need this firmware update that's all the rage these days? I've just extended the DHCP lease to 21 days to see if that helps.

I'm also having the "Watchdog Reset" issue every few days but I'll post in a different thread about that.

mikeuknl

Hi Bob - I have Plusnet Hub One | Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 Last updated 01/06/19 and one of the jobs I have is to test networks so have lots of experience and tools to help debug if you can't lab reproduce it.

This includes mac/w10/ipad/android and wireshark - I was having issues with 2GH so put devices on 5GH but they now give "Wifi Registration Failed" on 5 (but work on 2) so I want this resolved. In particular 1/2 my road are on 2 but I am the only house on 5 so it gives 5 x performance and much less packet loss which is key for my VOIP calls.

I am new to PN at current addresses but have had EE and BT ADSL in the past.

First step I guess is can u update my Hub 1 to 2020 software ?

Thanks in advance - Mike B  

liamosullivan
Dabbler

I've been getting the exact same issue as all previous posts. 5GHz Wifi is lost randomly. Usually once or twice a day.

What can I do? Is it firmware you can push your side Plusnet?

Liam

RM79
Dabbler

Looking at the rate of these posts either Plusnet needs to role out .273 or @bobpullen is going to be pretty busy
duds
Hooked

Just adding myself to the list. 5Ghz just doesn't work reliably. I'm on 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 too. Any chance of the firmware update.

mikeuknl

I also noticed some errors in TR609 log

( 40.780000) CWMP: session closed due to error: Could not resolve host

that could imply DNS server either under DDOS attack or just too old to handle the extra queries it is getting when people are working from home - a DNS cache & DDOS firewall could help both these issues but it would need PN to check their side

mindmagic
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I didn't realise there was a general problem, probably because most of my devices are connected to an old router, set up as an access point downstairs and connected to the Hub 1 upstairs by cable. But I have had trouble connecting my phone on 5 GHz upstairs so I had to tell it to forget that network (I have the networks split). My firmware is 263.