Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

FIXED
JDM1
Hooked

Re: Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

Hello Bob - On .263 with all issues above. Tried separating channels etc and still same problem. Please push .273 to my router.
Chriswebber999

Hi @bobpullen

Having the issue with 5ghz, hub one on 4.7.5.1.83.8.263.

Have split the signals - 2.4ghz is holding connection to all devices so it's just the 5ghz that's the problem. Please can you push the update to me? Not sure exactly what you need from me, please let me know.

Many thanks
fedup2020
Hooked

Hi Bob

I wonder if I too need the firmware update (I have the ....263 version)

I have just been set up on Plusnet, but, whilst my laptop and phone are working (I note the former on the 2.4GHz channel, and the latter on the 5GHz), my Roku stick, whilst ostensibly reconnected on my new Plusnet wifi, won't trigger a connection when I try to choose a streaming channel (?is this the correct word eg BBC iPlayer).  It seems to be 'connected' on the 2.4GHz channel when I check my hub manager.

I have both followed your instructions to turn off the 5GHz wireless band to no avail; but also tried to split the frequencies - however, the Roku stick refused to recognise the newly identified 5GHz band.

Oddly, and randomly, I have managed to get onto the iPlayer once - and this seemed to be triggered by changing the HDMI channel the Roku was connected into in a last gasp of frustration.

I am also having problems connecting my CCTV (not being a techie, I have someone coming out to try and fix it) - but now wonder if this is a similar issue?

bernardli

Had the chance for almost 2 months with the 273 update and my small problem is still there. After 2 weeks or so the speeds over 5Ghz drop to around 20Mbps, upload is as fast as usual at around 17Mbps. My problem is simply resolved by resetting the router and that makes it fine for another 2 weeks or so.. 

My problem is manageable as it's hard to notice the difference in 70Mbps and 20Mpbs for normal browsing so when I do notice some slowdown I simply reset the router. As problems go it's minor but would love it to be solved somehow. 

mpatterson
Dabbler

@bobpullen since I posted last week of initial success (.281 version) I have since had 2 incidents requiring restart and both have required 2 restarts as after initial the wifi has not returned on either 5Ghz or 2.4Ghz. I will admit my restart method is a bit of a sledge hammer approach as it is on a smart switch with a 2 minute delay between off and then back on. (Purely because when it is down access to the UI for proper restart is difficult).

How99
Dabbler

Hi @bobpullen,

Following on from @bernardli I’ve been having the same issue of the .273 update.

It’s not as bad as the issue on the 263 version, and just requires a simple reboot to fix - but just thought I’d report it as it’s the same issue.

Many thanks
DenisCrickets
Hooked

Same for me.

I didn't realized before reading your posts but my speed dropped to 20Mbps as well... not sure after how long but because I am usually just browsing I didn't noticed.

Denis

androidtanmay
Grafter

@bobpullen 

I have a similar issue. Have been noticing low speeds on 5.0 GHz radio for couple of days and thought it is related to some copper impairment/HR joint issue which is being diagnosed on my line. However today the speed was about 6.5MBPs as reported on the account broadband page. called up the faults team and they did a reset of the router from the back-end and the speed was back up where it was supposed to be. Also when i was getting speeds between 6-17 MBps, the data-rate on the router troubleshooting page showed a 39Mbps+ download speed. So clearly somehow the router was going out of sync and reducing the speed.

Now the fault of HR joint (not sure what it means) still remains on the line as per the advisor for which an engineer is going to visit tomorrow but the download speed is back to normal after the router reset. Also the advisor today said he will ship another router as the last engineer who visited for the 'copper impairment' fault said that there might be an issue with the router itself and i am under warranty. So lets see if changing the router makes the fault go away, however afraid that the new router may again be on .263 firmware and 5GHz radio will be unusable. Will need help to get the other one pushed with the correct firmware preferably .280 (hoping it will take away the 5 GHz radio connecting problem and also the speed drop out after few weeks)

Regards

Tanmay 

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@drtodd @mattkaner @2u2me @ryan0583 @typhoon2099 @JDM1 & @Chriswebber999 - The update has been pushed to your devices. You'll need to reboot your router to apply it.

@fedup2020 - your problem doesn't sound quite the same but I have pushed the update to you on the off-chance. Again, you'll need to reboot.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@How99 @bernardli @androidtanmay & @DenisCrickets - The throughput observation is being discussed in another thread. We're trying to keep this discussion solely focused on the 5GHz connectivity issue.

My most recent update on the throughput problem is here.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

tihlr
Hooked

As you requested: What can I do to help? We are yet to find a way to reliably replicate the problem ourselves under lab conditions, so it would be helpful if you can reply to this post answering the questions below (and providing any other detail you might think is useful!)

1. Brief description of the problem, and how it masquerades itself.

What are the symptoms?

First obvious indications are that internet pages take a long time to load, or don’t load at all. A page might partially load within a few to thirty seconds but not completely load for about two or three minutes. Sometimes a page only partially loads and a page-refresh might or might not fix this. Other times the pages load quickly. It’s pot luck. Sometimes switching wifi off and on again fixes things, but again only briefly. On MacBook Pros and iPhones, Apple’s App Store reports it cannot connect.

After a while everything just grinds to a halt and nothing works, even temporarily, any more.

In addition, the Hub One’s 5 GHz wifi password appears to be lost and any connected devices have to re-enter the password. However, entering the correct password (even pasting it in from the router admin setup page where the password was set) doesn’t work — the system reports that the password is incorrect.

It’s possible to connect to the Hub One admin web page using wifi to check settings/make changes; it's not necessary to connect using ethernet.

How frequently does it happen?

About every two or three days. Things run relatively smoothly for a while and then it all jams up again.

2. Do the devices having problems appear to be connected or associated with the hub?

Yes, the problem devices are connected by wifi, either directly to the Hub One or indirectly via an Apple Airport Time Capsule which has wifi network (2.4 GHz or 5 GHz) and which is connected to the Hub One by ethernet. This is primarily used to backup MacBook Pros but can also (usually) route internet traffic.

Is the hub status indicator normal/blue when the problem occurs?

The Hub One status light is blue.

3. Do you have the 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels merged (default setting) or split (different wireless network names)?

I have had the channel split. I split them because there were problems with wifi connectivity after we received our Hub One in March and I thought this might fix the problem but in retrospect this seems to have made things worse. I also tried extending the DHCP lease time to 21 days but this made no difference.

If the networks are named differently, does the problem only affect the 5GHz network?

No, it takes dwon my AirPort Time Capsule 2.4 GHz and Hub One 2.4 GHz connections as well.

4. Once the problem occurs is it persistent?

It persists, getting worse over time as described, until the RESTART button is pressed on the Hub One.

Do you have any devices wired to the router and does the problem affect them at the same time?

As well as the aforementioned Airport Time Capsule there are three other directly wired ethernet connections none of which seem to be adversely affected, an Amazon FireTV, a Windows desktop 10 Dell PC and a TP-LINK Powerline adapter which provides distributed connections to various other powerline devices around the house.

5. Are you able to reproduce the problem reliably? Do you think you have a way of triggering it? [for example waking a specific device from power save mode]

No and no.

6. Is the problem always resolved by rebooting the hub?

So far, yes, the RESTART button fixes things. Immediately afterwards everything is back to normal and web pages load as quickly as can be expected, the App Store is available, the internet works as expected.

If so, how long does it take before problems recur?

It recurs after about two or three days, best case scenario after about five days.

7. If specific devices are always impacted when problems occur, please provide details of which devices are impacted and which aren't i.e. manufacturer, model, variant and operating system version.

Apple MacBook Pros from 2009 (El Capitan), 2010 (High Sierra) and 2017 (Mojave), iPhone 8 and iPhone XR (both iOS 13.3.1).

An HP Windows 10 laptop which has no 5 GHz (only 2.4 GHz) wireless doesn’t appear to be affected. It can access internet on the Hub One 2.4 GHz wifi even when other devices can’t. Perhaps this absence of 5 GHz is significant?

8. Have the devices experiencing problems recently received any patches that might correspond with the time the issue first occurred?

No.

9. Please provide a description of your home network setup and all devices in use including whether or not you're using any additional switches, Powerline adapters or wireless access points.

This has already been described above.

Additional information/observations.

I disabled the Hub One 5 GHz option using the advice given on this forum then restarted the Hub One.

Things looked okay initially, although soon afterwards I got stressful error messages saying the passwords for the 2.4 GHz wifi as well as for both Airport Time Capsule wifi networks were all incorrect despite having worked earlier. Switching away from each wifi network seemed to have got rid of this problem. Fingers crossed.

So, in summary it looks to me as if devices that have 5 GHz wifi options get problems on a 5 GHz enabled Hub One, even if they’re not actually using the 5 GHz wifi, whereas devices that don’t have that option, for example wired only or older 2.4 GHz only devices, escape from this quagmire.

JDM1
Hooked

Bob. .273 has resolved my issue so far. Never had a problem with laptops and TVs however all mobile phones (all apple) used to have trouble connecting or super slow - now all have instant response. Thanks.
SCam
Hooked

Well. I've been running .273 since 18/4/20 and I think it's fair to say the issue is not resolved. Devices connected to 5GHz (most noticeably my phone) disconnect once every few days. Feels like sometimes the bandwidth drops too as per the posts above.

I have zero faith in Plusnet resolving this. It's been going on for a ludicrous amount of time. As such I'm simply going to turn the 5GHz off and pretend in ignorance that I'm getting what I actually paid for.

Extremely poor show Plusnet. Truly disappointing. 

paul_edwin
Grafter

@SCam

Is your DHCP lease time still set to 1 day, or have you increased it to 21 days? Mine's been okay for a week now, with .273 firmware and a 21 day DHCP lease.

JDM1
Hooked

My success with .273 has only lasted 1 day and now I have the same issues. Going to try the DHCP set to 21 now to see if that works! Agree with previous posters - this is not good enough plusnet!!!