Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

FIXED
briston
Aspiring Pro

Re: Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

Well all, hopefully it's over and out.

Frustrated with inconsistencies, thinking it has been solved with build 273 only to find out starting to happen all over again I decided it's throwing money away paying for an internet connection then not being able to constantly distribute the signal.

After some help from another thread I now have started to move to a mesh network using the hub1 as a modem only. Those devices which connect directly to the new system have an immediate throughput increase. Signal strength on the 5Ghz stream about 3 to 5 dB better, that is less -ve to clarify as I do know how dBm works.

Encouraged with the initial results I will now extend the mesh.

Time will tell and hopefully money well spent.
simoncrnfrth
Dabbler

@bobpullen
I have factory reset the router using the reset button on the rear of the router and on rebooting all my 5Ghz device have connected to the Router and the router is now showing connected 5Ghz devices when I logged into the router. All seems to be good now and I will monitor the router and report back 👍
jhoulston

Hi @bobpullen 

Happy to do any testing needed but still stuck on 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 with 5GHz disabled. Any change of .273 being pushed through please. Happy to run that and then go to .281 if / as and when needed.

Many thanks,

James

Meridan
Hooked

I have .273 for a few days now. 5GHz not an issue anymore but - like some of the other posters - the speed now randomly drops. Sometimes only for a couple of minutes, but today it was down from the usual 72Mbps to a mere 22 Mbps for almost an hour.

Kes1
Dabbler

Hello Bob .You said " I've just checked again and the update was definitely pushed to you. Have you turned the router off/back on to apply it? "
Yes I did Also , tonight the 5ghz stopped working again .
I re-booted again tonight and the Hub is still showing the 163 firmware.
Though the 5 ghz has started working for now.

MarniC

@bobpullen wrote:

@simoncrnfrth wrote:
Bob, unstable WiFi performance from my router today. Non of my 5Ghz devices will connect to the router in 5Ghz. I've had to turn the router off and back on again to be able to connect to even 2.4 this morning. Can you please revert my router back to 280 which I never had any problems with.

.280 is the same build pretty much. I think it's coincidence that you didn't experience problems with it.

I can move you back to .273 however it will initiate a factory reset.

I'd also like to see if the problem occurs again for you if you don't mind running .281 a while longer?

@Kes1 wrote:
Thanks ! Bobpullen. It worked !
The Hub management Web page still shows them firmware as .263 though. Is this normal ?

I've just checked again and the update was definitely pushed to you. Have you turned the router off/back on to apply it?

@penfold wrote:

@bobpullen 

Started a new thread. Router continually in this state. Not rebooted at all, and on over 40days uptime.

Thank you. I'll pick up over there.

@eakbas wrote:

An update from me, it's been 1.5 weeks since I got the new firmware and again my speed is down to 22mbps from 36mbps. No issues on the 5ghz channel though, all the devices are connected. I had to reboot the router to be able to get back up to 36mbps. 

Anyone is still having the speed drop issue? 

Best to keep the 5GHz throughput observations this thread.

@spacecadet wrote:

How long this being going on now without a firmware fix ?.

I'll be the first to say it's been much longer than anyone would have hoped for. The offer to move you to a known good firmware exists if you choose to re-instate the Plusnet hub.

@Lou1875 & @MarniC - both of your devices have been updated. You'll need to reboot the router to initiate the upgrade.

All good for now. 5GHz speed back to normal. I will teest it for a few days and report back

JestersTear
Dabbler

@bobpullen

Well since posting yesterday about speeds, my line seems to have reverted back to normal.

Tested quite a few times last night and this morning and consistently hit 70Mbs+ for first time since the firmware upgrade......will see how it goes for now.

Fingers crossed!

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@JestersTear wrote:

@bobpullen

Well since posting yesterday about speeds, my line seems to have reverted back to normal.

Tested quite a few times last night and this morning and consistently hit 70Mbs+ for first time since the firmware upgrade......will see how it goes for now.

Thanks, I think your observations might have been related to something else, so let me know how it goes from here-on-in.

@Kes1 wrote:
Hello Bob .You said " I've just checked again and the update was definitely pushed to you. Have you turned the router off/back on to apply it? "
Yes I did Also , tonight the 5ghz stopped working again .
I re-booted again tonight and the Hub is still showing the 163 firmware.

Can you private message me your router's serial number and Plusnet username in which case? It could be that I'm looking at the wrong account/device.

@simoncrnfrth wrote:
@bobpullen
I have factory reset the router using the reset button on the rear of the router and on rebooting all my 5Ghz device have connected to the Router and the router is now showing connected 5Ghz devices when I logged into the router. All seems to be good now and I will monitor the router and report back 👍

Thanks. Let me know how it goes. There's a good chance it will happen again on .281 but I'd like to be sure before moving you back.

@jhoulston wrote:

Hi @bobpullen 

Happy to do any testing needed but still stuck on 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 with 5GHz disabled. Any change of .273 being pushed through please.

That's been done for you James. You'll need to reboot to apply the changes.

@Meridan wrote:

I have .273 for a few days now. 5GHz not an issue anymore but - like some of the other posters - the speed now randomly drops. Sometimes only for a couple of minutes, but today it was down from the usual 72Mbps to a mere 22 Mbps for almost an hour.

If you find that only the 5GHz Wi-Fi network it limited, and it's particularly persistent, then please post your findings over here rather than in this thread. Trying to keep the two observations separate. Thanks.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

olliek5

Hi All,

I have the same issue for some time but just switched off the 5Ghz as I had other wireless access points that provide coverage.

As requested my answers to the nine questions:

1. A) When using 5Ghz after some time Laptops, Phones, Chromecasts and my PlayStation won't connect. Or if we do connect cant pass traffic over the network, IE no DHCP response.
  2. A) On the hub all lights show normal
  3. A) WiFi is split with _IOT on the end of the 2.4 GHz networks SSID
  4. A) Yes all 5Ghz connections to the hub stop working, LAN connections are fine
  5. A) The issue comes in under a day so can reproduce reliably.
  6. A) Under two hours
  7. A) See 1,A
  8. A) No
  9. A) I have a (Powerline) TL-PA8010P plugged into the Hub, and two other TL-WPA8630P around the house to increase coverage.

Networks are 5Ghz transmitted on all devices but the hub as we have the current issue. 2.4 GHz is the on all devices with _IOT added to the end of the SSID.

Connected devices:

2.4 GHz - Nest 3,Yi Home Camera

5Ghz - Surface Pro 6, Mac book Air (2015), pixel 2, pixel 2 XL, iPhone 8, PS4 & 3 x Nest mini (Google Home mini v2)

LAN - The TL-WPA8630P installed in the study has a Desktop PC and Raspberry Pi plugged into the ethernet ports.

DHCP is switched off on the hub and provided by the Raspberry PI

DNS is also provided by the Raspberry PI

Hub version is Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263, and I am happy to try Beta/test versions.

Ollie

Hamba
Grafter

I haven’t been having any issues for a couple of months but now the problems have started again.

A few days back I switched my iPad Air 2 from 5GHz to 2.5 in order to be on the same network with my laptop - trying out a wireless midi connection app.  Since then I’ve had to restart the Hub One a few times.

Last night the hub turned orange and after a few tries connecting I gave up and went to bed.  This morning it was blue again but I  couldn’t get online.  Opened up the hub manager and found the username had changed to setup.  Took me quite a while to get it to accept my username and password and I was eventually able to get online.  Now my iPad is losing the connection intermittently and I have to reconnect to the hub again.

I’m still on the 263 firmware any chance of an upgrade? 

Iandfisher
Rising Star

Since I bought the BT HH6 before Christmas I haven't had any problems with the WiFi. However, I have experienced a very erratic broadband speed from less than 2Mbps download and a not worth listing upload speed earlier this week to 60.42Mbps download and 19.76Mbps upload today. I'm only on a 30-40Mbps package. Openreach have been on the estate for a while so that might have something to do with it.

simoncrnfrth
Dabbler

@bobpullen
The router today is behaving like it did with the 263 firmware. Devices are not connecting to 5Ghz. There was no problems with 280 but whatever has changed in 281, it's rubbish unfortunately
Could you flash my router back to 280 as soon as you can. I'm not worried about it returning my router to factory settings.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@olliek5 please reboot your router and the update should come through.

@Hamba you will need to perform a factory reset by inserting something into the pinhole at the rear of the device until the status light flashes green. It needs re-associating correctly with your account before I can do anything.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@simoncrnfrth, give me a couple of hours...

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

olliek5

@bobpullen Reboot done and the software version is now .273 (4.7.5.1.83.8.273). I will switch on the 5Ghz network and let you know how I get on.