cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

FIXED
crazbert

Re: Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

Hi @bobpullen please can I have the new firmware? This issue has just started happening to me.

Bernard-Shakey
Dabbler

Hello,

@bobpullen 

After having some WiFi connection issues after re-setting my account password a couple of weeks ago, I was sent a shiny new Hub One router (I'd been using an old Technicolour one with a crank handle on the side). It was fine for a day or two once I installed it, with a little help from @Baldrick1 , but went a bit haywire yesterday with WiFi connections being dropped. 

I've just discovered this very interesting thread, and wondered if this new router of mine had been shipped with this new firmware pre-installed (I'm at work just now, so can't check), or whether it could be pushed to the router?

Many thanks in advance

Dave - account name [Removed]

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): Personal information removed from a public forum (to an area that staff can see).

sifrith

Hi Bob,

I'm having these same connection issues on my Hub One. Iphones keep getting bumped off, not recognising the saved password etc - but It's all ok via ethernet. I'm on 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 and all devices are connecting to the 2.4ghz by default (I haven't changed anything). It all worked fine up until last week, but today is especially bad. I thought I could update my firmware manually, but it sounds like I can't until it's an official release. Are you able to help?

Many thanks,

Si

infobleep1
Hooked
Fixes: 1

Hi there

Hope everyone is well in this times.

I have two Samsung devices. One is a Galaxy Tab S2 running Android  7 and the other is a Galaxy Note 9 running Android 10.

In both cases I keep getting devices disconnected when I tried to connect or after a period of using them. It seems to be worse on the Tab S2 running Android 7. I resolved this yesterday with a router restart but the problem return today and seems to be getting worse. I can't say when it started but it's been going on for some weeks if not months in the case of the Galaxy Tab S2.

The error messages on Android 7 Tab S2 is "authentication error occurred". On Android 10 Note 9 it is: "Couldn't authenticate connection",

I am not certain if this is a 5 GHz issue or unrelated problem.

When my Note 9 fails to authenticate it then switches to use the mobile data and I don't notice and suddenly find large amounts of data being used. It doesn't try again to authenticate when it can't, even though if I try it can connect, abet not always.

I have a fibre optic connection.

infobleep1
Hooked

Looking into my router I can see that the devices are connected to my 2.4GHz band. There is nothing connected to the 5GHz one. So it's likely to be some other issue.

infobleep1
Hooked

Having said I don't think my Andoird issue [note post here: https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Couldn-t-authenticate-connection-and-authentication-error/td...] is related to the 5 Ghz issue, I have for a long time exleeie ces issues with my Macbook Air and Macbook and so has my dad with his Macbook Pro. This is on two different plus net accounts.

I get password authentication problems in that it doesn't xofnisw the password. The issue occurs more when closer to the router than further away.

Is this related to the 5 Ghz issue or something else?
westcoaster
Grafter

A hint that I learned for those with the firmware upgrade to fix the 5GHz problems... Some devices that support 5GHz should connect to that radio but if they connect to 2.4GHz because of the 5GHz problem they may stick to that rather than reconnect to 5GHz when possible, i.e. even after the firmware upgrade.

If your 5GHz capable devices still connect to 2.4 GHz after the upgrade, move them close to the router (if possible), switch off wifi, switch on to try a 5GHz connection and see how that goes.

It may help someone. 

catphone
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

@westcoaster 

I don't know if anybody went back to merged after any firmware upgrade.

I'm still separated so I connect to 2.4 or 5.0 by choice. (not automatic device choosing itself)

Simonsimps
Rising Star

I separated my channels right away after getting the upgraded firmware.

My phone and the other halves phone always chooses 5Ghz when we come back in the house. Everything else (15 devices) are assigned either to 2.4 or 5Ghz split evenly. 

The Chromecasts (3 of them) are on the 5Ghz and they are doing some serious bandwidth during lockdown and haven't dropped once 😁

yossarian74
Dabbler

Hi @bobpullen could I have the new firmware please? 

westcoaster
Grafter

One pattern I've picked up in the thread is that Authentication errors (even on 2.4GHz) and 5GHz problems have suddenly started happening for some (including me) and that has led to loads of requests for the firmware upgrade. In my case, wifi connections were fine for the last 18 months.

So before the firmware upgrades, what changed to start causing authentication errors/5GHz problems? I'm thinking aloud, but curious if other's have picked up on this.

DenisCrickets
Hooked

@westcoaster I think I have read in a previous comment that the 5Ghz problem has been introduced with a new firmware in the past... They identified the firmware but they couldn't work out the reason of the problem and they couldn't go back to the old firmware because of other security changes.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@yossarian74 @infobleep1 @sifrith @Bernard-Shakey & @crazbert - I've just pushed an update to all of your devices. You'll need to switch your router off/back on initiate the upgrade. Hopefully it will help!

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

westcoaster
Grafter

I think you're right @DenisCrickets , the problem with 5GHz has been about for a while. I don't understand why my router was fine for 18 months and it suddenly started happening. I checked my router logs and I've had the .263 firmware since March 2019 and I got the 5GHZ problem very recently. Just sounds a bit coincidental.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@bobpullen wrote:

In way of a general update, and at the risk of speaking too soon, we now think we're close to narrowing the specific culprit of this issue. To help proof this, we have another build that I would like some help testing.

@simoncrnfrth & @nitrams69 I have just pushed this latest release to your devices (version ending .280) and am very interested to know if it helps. Please keep an eye on things and let me know the outcome. Depending on the success (or otherwise) of this build, I may be looking for some other candidates to help out.

@simoncrnfrth & @nitrams69 do you have any feedback based on the last two weeks' performance? Are things any better for you?

I have just pushed another incremental build to your devices (ending .281), however you will need to reboot your routers to apply the update.

If you can do this at your convenience and let me know how you get on then that would be grand Smiley

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵