Did you mean: 

Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

FIXED
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Re: Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

@snaqvy @RhysoTDI @JestersTear @hann0n @Tiggy22 @peelywallysnr @Corrn12 @Russkinguk @RobJM & @nickhutchings99 - same for you; you'll need to power off/back on in order to apply the update.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@Minxymoo wrote:
@bobpullen what time of the day do you push out the updates as I could possibly move my hub one to the main line.

No fixed time. I'm picking requests up when I can. Trying to swing by at least a few times a week.

@penfold wrote:

@bobpullen 

Hi Bob. What does the .280  firmware change...

It's a crack at a more formalised fix rather than a mitigation, and wraps in a few other bits and pieces that have been on the backlog. It is not ready for mass consumption though. I'll let people know if/when we need any assistance testing.

@snaqvy wrote:

BTW This is a good reason to allow upgrade of the firmware without having to ask on the forum! I'm sure there are loads of people out this with this issue but no way to upgrade the firmware.

It's a reasonable suggestion, but this is a pre-release build and if you read back through the discussion, you'll note that I've mentioned there are (admittedly undisclosed) reasons why we can't deploy this version en masse. The alternative is that I don't upgrade any devices and everybody sits tight for a full-scale release. This is some way off though, especially given the current CV-19 complications.

@snaqvy wrote:

The simple fix would be to allow us to upgrade the routers ourselves, as nearly every other company allows. I might try to raise a support ticket to get the upgrade.

I'm not sure 'every other' company does allow it; as I understand it, the majority of the large ISP's don't.

@Digsy wrote:

@bobpullen 

Bit of a long shot but I have an Engineer visiting tomorrow morning to investigate a recent problem which is similar to this but also affects wired devices.

A long shot indeed! Wink

Scanning through your other thread, it definitely doesn't sound like the 5GHz issue is the sole cause of your problem. I've pushed the update to your router on this occasion (you'll need to reboot), however I don't really want to get into the habit of pushing customers updates where the symptoms don't fit. By all means, let me know if it does fix things.

On a closing note for tonight: I've intentionally skipped over the handful of posts about throughput etc. I'm keen that these observations are put to one side for the time being. It is something we are looking at, but I don't want to muddy this thread and take it off topic. I'd urge others discussing anything not related to 5GHz Wi-Fi connectivity to do the same Wink

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

CC2

Cheers for your help mate, greatly appreciated! Can already see an improvement!

andypolyakov

Thank you @bobpullen. To confirm - I am running firmware .273 now.
Russkinguk
Grafter

Awesome. Thanks @bobpullen , I'll give the router a kick in the morning and see how it fares. Much obliged.

peelywallysnr
Hooked

Great! Thanks @bobpullen, have rebooted the router and can confirm that it's now running  firmware .273. Will monitor it over the coming days to see if it fixes our issues. Thanks again!

Meridan
Hooked

Great @bobpullen! I can confirm that the router now shows firmware .273. It runs well, I will monitor it for next couple of weeks and will report any changes. Thank you very much!

Digsy
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Thanks @bobpullen and thanks also for reading my thread on my recent issues.

A long shot it may be but last night I disabled 5GHz wifi and I am about to clock up my first 24 hour period with no connection issues since last Saturday. Coincidence....? Maybe... but the Openreach Engineer didn't find any issues with my line so the problem is probably somewhere inside my router.

I haven't done a reboot yet to update to the latest firmware. Assuming no power outages ove rthe next few days I will hang on as long as possible to confirm whether my conection issues come back or not. I may even re-enable 5GHz wifi at some point as well.

marcyoung
Hooked

Hi @bobpullen. I've rebooted a couple of times but I'm still on firmware version shown below.

Plusnet Hub One | Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 | Last updated 26/04/17

Can you confirm that a newer version has been pushed to my router? Thanks. 

Tesh1e

Hi @bobpullen, i'm having the same issue, looks like i still have the older version unless i am doing something wrong? I switched router off and then back on via the switch on the back

Plusnet Hub One | Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 | Last updated 22/07/19
crazed_puma
Hooked

Thank you @bobpullen.  I am now running firmware .273 and have reenabled the 5Ghz band.  Will let you know how it goes.

Kind regards

marcyoung
Hooked

@bobpullen, FYI, my router now thinks it's 8th November:

Time and date Message
00:02:12, 08 Nov. ( 133.500000) WAN operating mode is VDSL
00:02:12, 08 Nov. ( 133.500000) Last WAN operating mode was VDSL
00:02:11, 08 Nov. ( 132.110000) PPP IPCP Receive Configuration ACK

westcoaster
Grafter

I've been speaking to PlusNet support about my broadband line dropping , usually around 1am to 2am (as someone mentioned earlier in thread), is this a pattern for others too?

Anyway, I've suddenly been having wifi connection problems with multiple devices in my house. I suggested deploying the latest .273 firmware to try and fix it but support hadn't even heard of it!

@bobpullen - you're a very busy man, but could you speak to PlusNet support so they know about the firmware upgrade? 

Tiggy22

Many thanks @bobpullen for the new firmware. I too have enabled 5GHz and will let you know how it goes on. Thanks

bconnor
Hooked

Uh-oh. @bobpullen you pushed out the change about 2 weeks or so ago to me. Things had looked good. Until today. I have a good 5Ghz wifi signal but no internet connectivity, things have dropped back to the 2.4Ghz signal. Looks like that isn't a full fix.

LMK if I can do anything to help test. But for routine work, I'm going to have to go to a separate wifi solution.

Appreciate the effort for single-handedly being Plusnet's support team!