Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

FIXED
briston
Aspiring Pro

Re: Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

@bobpullen don't want to must the water. Will keep it short and sweet.

Running the 273 firmware for a while and things seemed to be ok. This morning it crawled. Speeds abismal.

Called plusnet support who says they did something to my speed, behind my understanding what. Had to reboot my router. Now reasonable again.

This may be unconnected but how do I know.
AndyinBrum
Dabbler

its Not just you. Me in Birmingham

My ethernet connected PC that usually runs at 33mbps and 4mbps upload is at 4.72mbps and 1.03mbps right now.

5ghs wifi is at 16mbps and 1.1mbps

AndyinBrum
Dabbler

rebooted PC and router - 24.39 and 3.62mbps

Simonsimps
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Mine was the same this morning too. WiFi speed on 2.4 and 5Ghz were half speed. I have speed tests to show this. Also the kids Chromecasts were buffering and wouldn't play content which normally streams fine.

My LAN connection to my PC was also very slow but mainly very laggy.

My router had been up 18 days so I restarted it and everything went back to normal. But it's crazy how others had the same problem this morning. 

Russkinguk
Grafter

Well this is a perfectly timed advancement. I was about to bite the bullet and spend the best part of 200 quid on a new router as I've had these 5g issues for months and months now and it turns out the broken bit of code introduced in .263 has finally been backed out. @bobpullen , would you mind hooking me up with the revised firmware please? My use case saw me trigger the issue very quickly so I'd love to give this a go before sinking 200 notes into a new router!

What's the common consensus everyone? An improvement? I see reports today of network slowdown but is it related or just a coincidence do you think?

RobJM
Grafter

Had similar issues for a few months which gradually got more frequent , restart fixed it , most recently having to restart every few days , however since my last restart , about 2 weeks ago? seems to be going OK now , very odd , still using the older firmware as well.

Cannot for the life of me find a reason , as in different things connected, even my sky box is staying connected, and that used to keep dropping,  it was actually what brought my attention to the issue.

AndyinBrum
Dabbler

I think today's issue is that one of the Server Hamsters fell off its wheel and needed replacing.

Ive not had an issue with the router since the update in (however long ago it was Bob sorted it - but long before lockdown)

AndyinBrum
Dabbler

speeds are now back to as expected.

snaqvy
Grafter

Just adding that it's been more than 24 hours and no response from anyone at plusnet. The issue has been know about at least 6 months and two 500-post long threads on their own forum. How many people must be stuck at home with wifi barely working and not knowing. I know my mum would have no idea why my sister's ipad is not working on the wifi.

I can understand that there is one engineer dishing out the fix to us but really should not be that way. We've had poor wifi for at least a year and got a different router in the mean time. I'm sure @bobpullen is overloaded and overworked, and would not be surprised if he was on annual leave just keeping up with this thread.

The simple fix would be to allow us to upgrade the routers ourselves, as nearly every other company allows. I might try to raise a support ticket to get the upgrade.

CymonP
Grafter

In my experience, the ...273 version is not a full fix. I experienced 5GHz wi-fi slow down a couple of weeks after being updated and have since been running on 2.4GHz only (again).  Bob said this was another known problem which was reproducible in the labs but (I guess) not yet resolved.  I think there is an even newer firmware version being trialled at the moment but don't really know.

Pretty poor that this has been unresolved for a year or more and will no doubt be causing lots of less technically savvy users problems -- which they probably attribute to the core Plusnet service (not their router). Many probably end up changing ISP as soon as they can since first level helpline staff just suggest all the usual things which, at best, only produce a temporary fix.

Simonsimps
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

@RobJM wrote:

Had similar issues for a few months which gradually got more frequent , restart fixed it , most recently having to restart every few days 

Be careful restarting your router all the time it may cause your line profile to be lowered due it it thinking there is a fault on your line.

Like I'm sure mine has, I used to sync at 52Mbps and since all this and restarting the router to get it to work I'm now syncing at 40-45Mbps with no sign of dlm trying to set me back to a higher profile.

JestersTear
Dabbler

'Pretty poor that this has been unresolved for a year or more and will no doubt be causing lots of less technically savvy users problems'

@CymonP - agreed. Advising that you use a BT Hub 6 isn't really an acceptable fix either. I'm very disappointed

snaqvy
Grafter

will just add, you cannot post a ticket or chat online. have to wait on hold. what a waste of time.

briston
Aspiring Pro

@Simonsimps that's an interesting one about sync speed. Mine has dropped from 58.8 to 46.6Mbs I don't keep restarting mine, it's quite capable of doing that itself, often at 2ish in the morning but sometimes during the day.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Not been around much of late due to an IT failure. Given the current homeworking situation, it left me without access to the network for a few days. Anyway...

@Tesh1e @marcyoung @crazed_puma @eakbas @Meridan @NX-01 @andypolyakov & @CC2 all of your devices have had an update pushed to them. With the exception of Tesh1e, you'll need to reboot at your convenience to apply the changes.

@go3asy somebody asked me to look at your router earlier, but it doesn't look to be online at the moment? Huh

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵