cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

FIXED
RoissyAngel

Re: Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

FYI, in the end I just disabled the 5GHz option and have had no problems since on 2.4GHz.

It is not a problem for me to just use 2.4GHz. In fact, my web browsing is now noticeably faster and so far, touch wood, my youtube is no longer hanging constantly.

What I did notice in my plusnet router settings is that the connection speed to my mobile phone is now actually listed as being faster - up from 48mbs to 71mbs. Which is interesting as, when on 5GHz, I did wonder whether the router was throwing down more data than my smartphone could cope with.

Anyhow, so far it seems to be working OK on 2.4GHz.

Thanks to the OP for the info about turning off 54GHz.

mpatterson
Dabbler

Not so sure why so many people are requesting Beta firmware? It's still in test and engineers were asking people to try it to see if fixed issue. Unless I have missed something there is not a new proven and therefore released update for all?
If I missed it apologies but I am surprised so many people would want incomplete software pushed to them. Only sure fire fix I have seen here is turn off 5Ghz or get a new router.
Vkilleuz

Hi, I am having the exact same issues as everyone has mentioned

Can I please also get my router pushed to firmware 4.7.5.1.83.8.273

I am running 4.7.5.1.83.8.263.

tezzab

Hi @bobpullen , any idea when this is going to be sorted?

There appears to be little progress on an issue that has persisted for ages and was seemingly created by a firmware upgrade. Are you (PlusNet) actually aware of how many user are affected by this bug as it appears to me that only the users that have posted here are ones that may be known to PlusNet. I only became aware of it today by searching on the Forums and this has been affecting me for months. It may be that users who are not technically savvy may have this issue but are unaware that it is affecting them.

Surely you can advise some target timescales for a solution. I don't believe PlusNet can honestly think that it is acceptable to provide routers that are not fit for purpose without providing working replacements or timescales for a resolution.

tezzab

briston
Aspiring Pro

As an (ex) engineer, admittedly in hardware not software, no engineer will give a time scale for a fix. Only a time scale for deploying the fix once it's known.

This seems to have been going on for some time but quite frankly I am not certain about this problem. It seems that a firmware fix was pushed over a year ago to fix some undefined, to me, problems. Gremlins have been surfacing since.

Just my personal thought, I think something larger than a fix is being considered as after all, isn't the technology well understood now and the innards of this router should be well known. Perhaps suggesting that a fix is not actually possible maybe?

On a better note regarding my personal experience, the supposed problems with the hub1 has uncovered 2 faults on my incoming line. 1 has been corrected and hopefully the second with be sorted on Tuesday.
winteraj

I think PlusNet need to be more public with the problem. Unfortuantely i havent' lots of spare time to help a tech provider i'm paying reasonable sums to (and loyally so for many years) to fix a problem, appreciate it's tricky to puzzle out the problem. 

I've orded a BT Smart Hub as this seems by report to be a much better and more stable router, and will try moving to BT Smart home mesh wifi. Grateful to those other posters who've given instructions on setting up the Smart Hub - again rather this was formally published by Plusnet.

Beefyj

Glad I’ve found this now. Fortunately I’m at the end of my contract and have signed up to a new ISP starting in 12 days time. Since I’ve been working from home the whole situation has become so much worse, more noticeable I guess, I fear I’ve put up with it for a year......but rather than try and resolve it, beyond router re-boots, have left it to become ever more irksome. It’s the vast majority of ‘us’ that just disappear to new ISPs that PN need to be concerned about, the voices within this forum are the tip of the iceberg. 

markc67

I wish I could leave but I'm only a month into my 18 month contract.
briston
Aspiring Pro

@markc67 First I'll make it clear I have nothing to do with plusnet, only been a customer for many years. Mostly a very happy customer.

I can only suggest hang in there. I have had problems but do not give up. My persistence has resulted in an fault on my line being discover resulting in a 30% increase in speed and Openreach coming out again in Tuesday, yes in today's situation, to investigate another problem. Plus, after much pressing, plusnet are helping with another modem/router.

The problem I see with plusnet at the moment is that some guys in tech support are more 'with it' than others. My personal opinion also is that something else is going on within plusnet. But that is my personal opinion.

With regard to the hub1 I find it strange that a aging bit of kit who's innards should be well known and the working of the internet with all the WiFi standards, that the present problem cannot be fixed. It begs the question. What is the problem?
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@ktmckenna wrote:
I am beyond frustrated with the service that I am receiving at the moment. Some days the broadband seems to be fine and I only get a couple of disconnections and some days the broadband is more off than on.
I work for the NHS and it is particularly important that I can connect with work at this time. Is there any way in which this problem can be resolved?

@ktmckenna forgot to mention - I pushed an update to your router before the bank holiday, so hopefully you've found things better over the weekend?

For everybody else: I'll look to read through your comments and respond next week. For those who were moved to a testing environment, I'll also see if we can do something for your devices.

It's concerning that a handful of people are now reporting problems with the update. If this is the case, then it has the potential to put a pretty mighty spanner in the works, as it suggests an underlying issue that pretty much goes back to inception, rather than being something introduced by a recent (ish) firmware update Huh

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

briston
Aspiring Pro

@bobpullen It's interesting that you say about some still having problems with the test update might indicate that the underlying issue goes back to inception. I have been coming to that conclusion from the idea that the hardware of the hub1 should be well known as it's not a new device and the firmware requirements should be well known. But there are still problems.

I have now ditched my updated hub1 which still indicated problems, temporarily using a BT hub6 which I have been given, but as you know, tech support said everything was ok but you demonstrated this was not the case. Openreach are visiting Tuesday, again. At present, operating a bthub6, I was able to demonstrate that with 3 modems using differing hardware and/or firmware and still having problems it was not the modem.

Getting back to the hub1, why, if most people are using firmware prior to your test firmware, are they all not exhibiting such dreadful problems? And why are they only now surfacing? There is something else going on here.
al3

Pretty annoyed about this. I've just moved to Plusnet's fibre service from a 4mbps dl copper service and the 20mbps Plusnet Fibre service is worse because my old ISP's router was evidently better/didn't have this flaw.  Plusnet look to have known about this issue for over a year from this thread and are still supplying this router to new contracts nor have they yet released a fix.

OK I'm going to have to buy a 3rd party router but it's not something I accounted for when was comparing this service against others.  I get that it's end of the line hardware but it's still wrapped up in their service and issued by them and I think wrong that they're still peddling it out on the cheap.

Thanks to those on here looking for solutions but really unimpressed with Plusnet's values/service

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@briston wrote:
... why, if most people are using firmware prior to your test firmware, are they all not exhibiting such dreadful problems?

And therein lies the million dollar question! As I've alluded to before, if we were able to replicate this issue in lab conditions then I'm fairly certain we wouldn't be where we are now and the problem would likely be behind us.

We have had devices exhibiting problems returned to us by customers, and neither can we get those to misbehave reliably. It's all very frustrating. Both sides of the fence.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Hambonz
Hooked

I've been with PlusNet for around years now and very happy with the service.

My PlusNet Hub One 5Ghz WiFi happily gives 74Mbps down & 19Mbps up, and signal covers a 3 bed bungalow. I did connect a WiFi extender to reach out to a remote external WiFi camera.

Previously on occasion I'd find my Samsung S7 phone would periodically fail on 5Ghz and a reboot of the phone would resolve. Strangely, at the same time my partner's S7 phone would be connected fine (?).   I then started following this thread (and it's predecessor) after I kept finding my Fire Stick TV would be frequently found using the 2.4Ghz WiFi.

Most probably not related, but the issue became more noticeable after having a Hive Hub connected to the router.

As suggested, I increased the DHCP lease to the max and separated the 2.4 & 5Ghz and connected my 5Ghz devices to the new separate 5Ghz signal and made them 'forget' the 2.4Ghz one.   I have not had any issues since.

I do however have a slight suspicion that my Fire Stick TV may briefly lose its 5Ghz and reconnect, where previously it was dropping down and staying on the 2.4Ghz.  I have the stick doing an hourly speed test and the speed has not dropped in weeks, whereas before it would have nearly halved when it dropped down to 2.4Ghz.  I may set up a continual ping on a laptop as a check to see if the WiFi connection is ever dropping.

briston
Aspiring Pro

@bobpullen I have been pretty scathing as you know and I certainly did have a problem but still I cannot be sure where the fault lies. Certainly what has been revealed is that I have definitely a line problem and Openreach will be visiting on Tuesday about another one. So what started as a problem with hub1 I cannot say yet was down to the hub1. You would have never have been able to replicate the conditions, what I reported, in the lab as although the symptoms indicated hub1 until the line is sorted we do not know.

Intermittent faults are the worst, power supply intermittent faults or inadequacies are the ultimate. Hmmmmm.

I have also started to suspect a bit of bandwagon jumping without actually understanding what could be going wrong. I have had a bit of a learning curve regarding the internet, but I am learning and understanding more.