Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

FIXED
Ray70
Hooked

Re: Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

I have been keeping quiet and observing, I am struggling to understand why the issue is taking so long, i think I have an idea although the router/modem is branded by Plusnet, the supplier of the modem/router is denying it is a problem with there hardware.

I experienced similar with Virgin Medias Super hub 1, when I worked as a technician for them.

Like others I have experimented with an alternative router as suggested at the start of this post, albeit the service is slow I have not experienced any drop outs from the 5GHZ channel as i did when using the Hub 1

I acknowledge the speed is not part of this thread but I do feel it is related.

Something, has happened to cause the issue because up until this all started I had no issues with Plusnet.

Is there a light at the end of the tunnel?

matthewgdavies1
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

It does seem strange that Plusnet is apparently having such a problem fixing the issues with the Plusnet Junk 1 router. They seem to have no difficulty whatsoever lifting the money out of my bank account bang on time every month for their substandard service.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@bobpullen wrote:

@cshields, @AndyinBrum, @carlwinkle, @cbtownsend & @CymonP - I'll try and drop you a message tomorrow. Keep your eyes peeled!

Apologies again for the delay, it's been a tad hectic this week!

Whilst I've not found the time to message each of you, I have just made some remote changes to each of your routers. You'll have noticed them restarting, so apologies if you were in the middle of anything.

Should hopefully improve the situation for you.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

CymonP
Grafter

@bobpullen Thanks -- My wife noticed!  Working now (obviously, really) and I've re-enabled the 5GHz side.  I'll let you know if I have any further trouble with it.

Thanks again.

cshields
Dabbler

Thanks for that. What was the change you made out of interest?

Norrette
Grafter
Fixes: 1

"I have just made some remote changes to each of your routers. "

Ooh does this mean some beta testing is taking place, and I should hold off buying a new router?

penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

@bobpullen Since up upgrade to the test firmware the 5ghz band has been stable with multiple devices connected to it, as well as the 2.5ghz, and throughput around 45mbps, on a 55/10 profile. Can we have some feedback as to what was altered in the firmware, so we can potentially test this resolution In a real world environment...
NigeBoy
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Hi @Norrette 

I don't want to tread on @bobpullen 's toes here but I can tell you that a number of us have been using 'development versions' of router firmware for a while.

Some progress has been made but the issue still hasn't been fully identified or resolved as far as I know.

I try to update on what I can here on the forum but I keep my discussions with Bob via PM so that the issue isn't clouded here for people using the currently released firmware which mine obviously isn't.

I'm sure Bob will update again here soon.

Work is definitely going on to find a solution for this and it does involve customers in their home situation where the issue is (or was) occurring.

We are doing this to help Plusnet solve the issue and for no reward other than hopefully getting a fix a bit sooner 😉.

I hope that helps you understand where we are.

tosrn
Hooked

Hello @bobpullen

Would it be possible to get on board the beta firmware bandwagon? Having issues with a recently received Hub One and some of my devices (I work in IT, so hopefully I can give some helpful feedback).

Cheers
drdavidmeighan

@bobpullen

I switched to plusnet just over a month ago, within days had the same issues as others, disconnecting from wifi, connecting but no Internet, authentication errors, android devices not even trying to connect. 

I've had to disconnect my router and revert to using my old (talk talk) router, so I won't get any remote firmware updates. Is it possible to manually downgrade to an older, stable firmware and/or be alerted when the repair is available? 

Trixiemay
Grafter

@drdavidmeighan  

We did think about it but iour TT router would not recognise our printer so we bought our own router.  But it would be helpful for people to know how you configured the TT router to connect to Plusnet.

Ray70
Hooked

If you goto to the start of the thread Bob Pullen has provided details how to set up a third party router @drdavidmeighan  

islwynll547st
Hooked

Are you using the Talk Talk Sagemcom Fast 5364 ? I tried the proposed settings and called the Plusnet technical support but the conclusion was that it was locked to Talktalk.
drdavidmeighan

@Trixiemay I used my login and password as advised at the start of the thread (although not having read the thread at that point, I just worked it out from past experience) I also had the setting pages of the Plusnet and Talk Talk routers open at the same time (one was wired to my PC and not connected to the net, the other wireless to my tablet and connected to the net) and compared the settings of  the two routers. I don't think I had to change anything other than user name and password.

@islwynll547st  It's not a Sagemcom, it's a Huawei, can't recall the model no and am at work at the moment so can't check, looking online it think its HG633. I've had it about 2 yrs as I was on an 18 month deal then didn't swap for a few months.

AndyinBrum
Dabbler

Bob, is the router the same as the BT Home hub 5? Do you know if they have the same problem?