Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

FIXED
spacecadet
Dabbler

Re: Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

Its all down to the router i had same issue with downloading on sky 9hrs to down load a 1hr programme .  Changed to old bt home hub router , i can now as before the problems with plusnet hub one router  can start watching programe within 30 seconds of start odf downloading .

spacecadet
Dabbler

Yes exactly i agree with you its the wifi side is the problem i had the same issue with sky loading pages  cinema page and others sometimes it wouldnt load at all or had to wait ages for it. 

cshields
Dabbler

I've had exactly this issue for a while now, but only just discovered this thread. Restarting the router seems to fix it for a while anyway.

Replicating the issue in a test environment might be difficult because of the length of time/amount of data transferred before it manifests is quite high. I would suggest not resetting the router and having multiple devices connect simultaneously to try to replicate a real environment, and then use those devices to connect to do your browsing just as you would at home.

What is the situation with rolling back the firmware? Is this something you can request?

Chris
welshi3

I've just stumbled across this thread and am on firmware 263, getting drop out on my iphone and ipad at the extremties of my house (when signal is down to 2xbars) and also slow and failed reconnection on the same devices. Other devices in my house (mostly on 2.4ghz only) can connect satisfactory, but my imac is wired thru a powerline and functions perfectly.

Upon fiding this thread I've had a play with the settings as suggested and also experimented. Using Dr-wifi app on my iphone to check.

What I have just found works for me, it may help someone else:

Sign into router advanced settings,

go to 5ghz wireless settings and turn off sync with 2.4ghz

rename the 5ghz wireless ssid to something different (i just stuck a 5 on the end)

apply that 

then on my iphone I've connected to the 5ghz network. 

***I've left smart wireless on both wireless channels.

Result : In the extremities of my house I'm still getting 2 bars, but near instant web browsing and all my other devices are still functioning normally. Using Dr wifi i can see single digit ping with zero packet loss.

Additionally - if I reconnect to the 2.4ghz network on my iphone its back to how it was (3 digit ping and loads of packet loss).

My conclusion is that the sync between channels is not working and my iphone was defualting to the 2.4ghz network. Forcing it on to the 5ghz has cured this (for now).

Trixiemay
Grafter

2.4ghz reaches further than 5ghz.  So when you go from home and return then 2.4ghz will connect first if:

a. The bands are combined

or

b. You have 2.5ghz and 5ghz set to auto connect.

catphone
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

My washing machine had terrible trouble connecting to wifi / ipad app.

Took five minutes or so to connect / start the wash cycle. 

Never had this trouble before moved to fibre.

CymonP
Grafter

I'll just add myself to the list of complainants here. Nothing unusual about my setup, various devices, and it's all been working fine since installation a few months ago.  Last night I had problems with my iPad's connection -- took 4 goes to get it to connect (kept saying the wifi password was wrong -- which it wasn't).  I put it down to a glitch.  Then the same thing happened to my iPhone on returning home this afternoon.  Same thing wanting 4 tries before it connected.  Now I've looked into this and realised that these devices were connected to the 5GHz band and now aren't (must have taken 3 goes for them to give up and try the 2.4GHz band).

I've now separated the bands (different SSIDs and passwords) and if I manually connect to the 5GHz band I have no internet connectivity (or, in fact any connectivity at all -- the router itself included).  So I've had to disable the 5GHz band.  Checking, and a quick google search brought me here.  I must admit that I'm surprised at Plusnet continuing to send out these routers with a known (even if just potential) issue.

cshields
Dabbler

I should add, for the benefit of those trying to reproduce this, that this was a problem which could be fixed by resetting the Hub One.

However, since installing and connecting a Nest Cam IQ Outdoor, resetting the Hub One fixes the problem for much less time - less than 24 hours before the problem starts reoccuring.

welshi3

Update.
I’m getting good service on all devices.
I was having to reset my hub daily and then issues would reappear very soon. Normally within the hour.
I have turned auto join off my iPhone for the 2.4ghz network.
I’m not saying this will work for everyone but it currently is for my combination of devices.
Trixiemay
Grafter

@welshi3 Are you saying that having the iphone auto join the 2.4ghz network causes problems with the router delivering the wifi to other devices?

welshi3

The iPhone on the 2.4ghz network only affected the iPhone. The rest of the devices were uneffected.
My other devices are wired (iMac, Apple TV) via Powerline, WiFi cameras 2.4ghz only but also not at crazy distances from the router.
My iPad had similar issues.
I had played with interference from other devices and neighbour routers but reverted back to smart channel on the router as this had no effect. So I don’t think it’s an interference issue.
NigeBoy
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

@Trixiemay 

I know what causes my 5 Ghz WiFi to crash and it isn't what you would expect. It is repeatable for me but doesn't happen every time. @bobpullen and Sagemcom are aware of this but are unable to recreate it. Sagemcom have logged into my router remotely when it is in a failed state and could see some of the problems but not what triggerred it as far as I know. They have been aware of this since October when they connected to my router.

In my case it is always caused by waking a Windows 10 PC from sleep mode. The PC is connected by ethernet but waking it causes the 5 Ghz WiFi issue on the router within about 10 seconds. The PC connects & works fine.

The chances of this causing the problem seem to increase if another device on the network is streaming at the same time as I wake the PC. The echo dot streaming music on 5 Ghz or an Android TV Box streaming video on ethernet are the usual culprits. Sometimes Just waking the PC causes it on it's own, no streaming going on.

It just seems wrong that starting a device on ethernet causes 5 Ghz WiFi to fail, but it does, without doubt.

briston
Aspiring Pro

Just an observation. I was watching TV via Nowtv stick when it dropped out. I also, by chance, had the router maintenance web page open so looked at the log. At the very time it the nowtv dropped out there was a lease request for it. I do not know if the request was a result of the dropout or it dropped out when it was requested. Or of course this is a red herring.
cbtownsend

Would appear i am also having this issue... which is frustrating my wife no end. I get i can effectively turn off the 5Ghz and have everything run on the 2.4Ghz, but i'm seeing the words 'temporary fix' quite alot in the posts i'm finding. Is there a more... well suitable one that see me getting what i am currently paying for? Its annoying when the one router i had before UPGRADING my service to this new Hub One had no issues with wifi connection!

Has this been fixed yet, i've had my Hub One 7 days and its already annoying me!!

Trixiemay
Grafter

@NigeBoy In my case there was nothing connected via ethernet.  My qusetion to @welshi3 was 'tongue in cheek'.

@cbtownsend The only 'fix' that appears to work is to buy another router. Not ideal but at least you have a decent router that will work with any ISP and (lets face it) many ISP's provide 'cheap' routers.