Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

FIXED
penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Re: Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

My sister has a hub1, which works fine. I presume they are both on the same firmware, but hers is nearly new, as she only got fibre a couple of months ago. Mine is over a year old. Is this not a firmware issue, but more of a hardware failure??? WiFi analyser tells me the network is there, with excellent signal, but will not connect to it. Would be happy to send my router back to you in exchange for a another if it would help troubleshooting...
NigeBoy
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

@penfold
It has been proved that reverting to an earlier firmware solves the problem on affected routers.
It is clearly a firmware issue.
spacecadet
Dabbler

This is the problem everyone else seems to know the fix but for the people at  plusnet who should know. If you have a link to it would help . thanks 

spacecadet
Dabbler

Wonder How True this might  be.                                                                                                                                               Faulty equipment
If your broadband provider gave you a router to use, it will be part of your contract, which means they are responsible for ensuring the router is as described, of satisfactory quality and fit for purpose.
If you’re experiencing problems with faulty equipment, like a router, you should contact the technical support helpline of your ISP and ask for a repair or replacement.
If you’re unhappy with how your request is handled, or if they don’t take steps to fix it, you have grounds to complain since this is a breach of your broadband consumer rights.   

penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

OK. The question is clearly what is causing the firmware to exhibit this issue on some routers but not others, when all have identical hardware??. My setup is nothing complicated. Is it maybe something to do with the number of devices connected.
spacecadet
Dabbler

We been running the same amount on the set up nothing has changed or been added simple set up, Router sharted playing up last month dropping wifi . When we   first got the router  it use to make a slight buzzing noise . This stopped at the same time the problems started with it all be it could be just coinsidence.  

gordon_mullan

Agreed - I wasted a load of time, and having them send me a new router, when they knew what the problem was.

Very poor communication with their frontline staff - it should have been obvious very quickly that this was another customer with the same issue.

NigeBoy
Aspiring Pro

@spacecadet
The fact that a downgrade works is mentioned various times in this thread and the original one which I started in April last year. That thread is linked to in the first post on here.
I myself eventually got a downgrade and it resolved the problem.
By me (and others) testing various previous firmwares for Plusnet they have now been able to establish when the bug was introduced but still haven't identified exactly what causes it.
I currently have a new development firmware on my router which also seems to stop the problem occurring. As I understand it there are plans to issue this more widely once it has been proved over a slightly longer timescale.
These developments have only taken place very recently so more testing is required.
I am just a customer like you and my frustrations with this are very apparent in some of my earlier posts. I offered to try to help Plusnet resolve this and they are finally getting somewhere.
@bobpullen is now giving everyone updates here which wasn't happening last year. Hopefully there will be good news for everyone very soon.
Progress is definitely being made on this now.
Trixiemay
Grafter

When I suggested that a downgrade of firmware might fix it ... the tech told me he didn't know how to do that.

NigeBoy
Aspiring Pro

@Trixiemay
This has been handled really badly all the way through by the staff on the forum and on the phones. They have either been misinformed or not informed at all.

That is one of the reasons it took so long to get any action on this. The other main reason was that the technical team refused to even acknowledge that there was a problem for many months.

A firmware downgrade is a manual task for the technical team. It also involves a factory reset by the user which wipes any user settings that have been changed on the router.

Plusnet stopped doing downgrades for that reason & also because there were other changes & fixes in there, some of which I suspect were made to meet regulatory standards.

At least now the technical team have admitted the issue exists & are addressing it.

The way customers were misled by some Plusnet staff was totally unnaceptable though and ignorance of this problem still seems to exist in staff responses on the forum sometimes.
briston
Aspiring Pro

Trying to understand things. Firstly another post has reported they are using
on firmware 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 updated 29/8/19.
My router reports 4.7.5.1.83.8.273, that seems to be a more recent version, but dated 26/03/19 that is a date before. Hope that makes sense.
I understood I have been updated to ä version which Plusnet are hoping will solve the 5GHz stream problem but don't know what version that is. Any help anyone?
Lastly, is there anywhere which deciphers the various messages that the log gives me in my router.
spacecadet
Dabbler

As paying customers we should not have to sort plusnet mess out !
NigeBoy
Aspiring Pro

@briston
The development version you are on is the one you quote that is shown by your router.
The date shown is incorrect because of the way these releases are deployed. It shows the date of the last 'proper' firmware upgrade.
I only know that because I have also had development releases.
briston
Aspiring Pro

Well, it looks as if my problem may have been sorted. Bit in any case, how are Plusnet going to sort things if they don't get feedback. My other comment about wanting to understand what the log data is personal interest. I'm an (ex) electronics engineer not a software engineer but the enquiring mind, even at my age, still kicks in.
catphone
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

Still getting issues: Split bands (diff SSID  name for each)

2.4ghz Buffering on YouTube (Roku 4K Premiere) --- Doesn't happen on Ethernet connected TV Youtube app. 

5ghz message no connection on ipod apps + Safari too sometimes needs airport mode to jig the connection. 

Lifx more reliable since split bands (router says on 2.4)

Alexa too.