cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

FIXED
gordon_mullan

Re: Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

Thanks @bobpullen - I'll watch out for that.

For the time being, I've purchased a separate router and plugged that into the Hub One (as this router doesn't have a modem).  I took the shortcut of naming the SSIDs for 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz the same as the Hub One, and then disabled the wifi completely on the Hub One.

That seems to be working nicely, until you guys can come up with a fix.

For anyone interested, it's this one: https://amzn.to/36GNZFS. , for the princely sum of £40.66 delivered.

It was a PC Mag Editor's Choice budget router: https://uk.pcmag.com/routers/83307/d-link-ac1200-wi-fi-router-dir-842

tonywalsh
Hooked

My phone is a Pixel 2XL with Android 10 and all updates

penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

I have just noticed this issue, when my tablet refused to connect to the router, and I noticed an authentication error. Connects to 2.5ghz fine. Everything currently on 2.4ghz or wired. Not noticed issues before. Not sure if this affects it but I have just had sky q installed. Main box connected by ethernet, mini box wireless via sky q mesh network on 5ghz.
Also noticed on WiFi analyser that the bands 36,40,44 and 48 show no signal, but there appear to be bands 149,153,157,161, which don't appear on the routers band selection on 5ghz.
I am on firmware 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 updated 29/8/19. Router currently been up for over 22 days. Looking at the logs, issue appears to have started today with lots of client associated and disassociated within a few seconds. Happy to send you the router logs.
Also bands are split, have been since I got the router, and smart setup etc is off. Only change to my home config and devices recently is the sky q mesh network connecting the mini box to the main box. Could a competing 5ghz network being so close cause this issue?Huh
briston
Aspiring Pro

Bob, I have responded to your private message with the reasons a experiments I have done incising the extra network. I forgot to say the extenders are Mini Wi-fi Home Hotspot 600 Kit. These clone the SSID but do not use the 5GHz stream. However, I don't find these the ideal solution, if it is one.
There seems to be evidence that the 5GHz stream is now stable. I do not get the nowtv, the only device in 5GHz stream, dropping out.
My mobile phone is a Umidigi Power. Yes a low cost Chinese phone sold through Amazon UK. It is using plain Android 9. No manufacture included extras. Please people, no comments about China spying etc. I did think the poor connectivity for WiFi was the phone however after getting a couple of Alexa's the problem was exposed. In fact I am on a very responsive WiFi at the moment, thank you Waitrose (am I allowed to say that). The phone reports a 2.4 GHz connection at 65 Mbps link speed. No idea of that's accurate or any significance.
penfold
Aspiring Pro

I have just disabled and reenabled the 5Ghz wireless, and it connects again. Happy to share any data with you guys to help solve the issue.
penfold
Aspiring Pro

And it's fallen over again almost immediately
Sheddyian
Grafter

I've just stumbled onto this thread by accident, thought it might be worth sharing my issues as there's similarities but a difference too.

I've had my Android phone report no internet despite having strong WiFi signal. Restarting phone doesn't fix this, nor does standing next to the router. Wired ethernet internet access continues to work correctly.

Both 2.4 & 5 are same SSID and I do not know which I was connected to at the time.

The curious detail is that this happens very infrequently. Perhaps 6 times last year!

Restarting the router fixes the problem.

As it was infrequent it was just "one of those things" but it does seem similar to the problems discussed here. Which makes me wonder if the problem may affect more customers than you know about, but as it's infrequent they reboot and don't report?

I have a number of wireless devices connected, Nest thermostat, occasionally some WiFi sockets, a robot vacuum cleaner. All are used more frequently than the problem occurs.

The only unusual setup is that I have disabled DHCP in the router, and have a Raspberry Pi, running Pi-Hole network-wide ad blocker, also acting as the DHCP server. Lease time is 6 hours.

Restarting the Raspberry Pi does not resolve the problem.

Various android and Kindle devices have been sporadically used, but no Apple devices.

Hope this might be of interest or help in some way.

Thanks

Ian
blu3andp1p
Hooked

Just a few more router issues this evening. I've started to collect logs to help any debugging on your end. (Part of the log is me completely turning off 5ghz)

https://pastebin.com/Mind68PU (Mac addresses removed)

I've got a home hub 6 on its way this week, hopefully, that helps with the issues I am having.

Trixiemay
Grafter

@blu3andp1p wrote:

I've got a home hub 6 on its way this week, hopefully, that helps with the issues I am having.

Best buy your own router

briston
Aspiring Pro

The comment about being infrequent so not reporting it is applicable to me. I thought it was my mor6e cost Chinese smart phone. However as my Alexa exhibits the same problem I was alerted. I have conducted various experiments. Have had, I think some improvement with a software upgrade bit I am on the verge of resigning to the fact it does not work. As I hope to move in the next 6 months that's a good time to start again.
Muddyfunker
Dabbler

I've fixed the issue in the same way as others, by spending a tenner and buying a bt home hub 6 on ebay.

I don't really feel as a customer that's probably spent thousands with plusnet over the years I should have to.

I'll be setting up the plusnet router in a field tomorrow and blasting it to pieces with a shotgun.
Best thing for it
spacecadet
Dabbler

Cant believe i have spent 4 days phoning  plusnet and telling them  that i had a problem with the router , wifi issue . Then getting told sky  must be busy with downloads at the same time im downloading . Took me 10 hours to down load a 1 hr programe . After finding this thread plusnet knew all along  about the wifi problem all the time and yet made me run speed tests along with other tests  .Today i found my old Bt Home Hub and works perfectly. Plusnet wont replace the router, so i know what i will be doing come end of contract. 👋👋

Spoiler

Trixiemay
Grafter

'Cutting your nose off to spite your face'.  If you have a router that works then why swap to a more expensive isp at the end of your contract? 

spacecadet
Dabbler

Plusnet could have told me from the outset that these routers have a problem , not letting me fanny on wasting my time doing fault checks when they already knew the issue. Also im using a router thats  6 yrs old .  When you pay for a service you expect just that. For your infomation not going to a more expensive isp can get the same as i have know for the same price. 

Trixiemay
Grafter

TT are the only ones that are near the same price and their routers don't recognise many printers.