Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

FIXED
uk144
Dabbler

Re: Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

Re alternative routes see the thread. HH 6 has good reviews. I am using  Zyxel VMG3925-B10C and it works perfectly on 5GHz. All of these can be bought for under £20 on ebay. So if you have a problem just buy one - is my advice and lower your blood pressure 😉

briston
Aspiring Pro

Firstly my blood pressure is under control. I take 2 medications to keep it down but I can assure you the reason for it otherwise being high is nothing to do with this matter.
By trade I am, or was, an electronics engineer and used to work in a mission critical environment in that I was responsible to building certain parts and making sure that a local itv broadcaster kept on air. Not once in my watch, in 27 years, did we fall of the air due to any failure of the equipment I was responsible for. Yes a transmitter mast blew down, yes incoming feed failed but kit I was responsible for worked. My how TV has changed. I digress.
I am very happy with Plusnet, but when it goes wrong I jump.
It looks like Plusnet cannot supply a working router cheaply enough for their business model. Hence either offer one that does work and charge or make the customer responsible. Business suicide perhaps. Or increase monthly rental by an amount so as to be able to afford one that does. However I am not a bean counter or a CEO, whoever that is.
Just as a background you might have missed. I purchased a low cost Chinese smart phone and blamed the poor connections on the phone. After getting some echo dots for Christmas it confirmed the problem was with the WiFi.
So a lot of frustration where I might be curable by purchasing a new router.
Plusnet has all bit admitted there is a problem with the kit. Are they still sending it out?
briston
Aspiring Pro

There is no magic wand unfortunately.
The best we can hope for is that BT take over an ISP with routers, firmware & internal systems that actually work.
So we need a magic wand to cure this!
Have we not wait long enough? I have been led up the so called garden path purchasing a cheap Chinese smartphone blaming it for my problems only to eventually find it is a cheap modem with software that does not do the job. Will someone tell me how long we have to wait? Retorical question, I know that's not possible.
Let's all a simple question. Does the router work? Simple yes/no should have a simple yes/no answer. In my case the answer is.........no!
tonywalsh
Hooked

@bobpullen 

The SmartLife plugs I'm using are Smart Plug, TECKIN WiFi Outlet https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07CVJYV3G/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_U_x_PR0kEbTZ921GD

The SmartLife app is installed on the android phone which couldn't access the internet when connected at 5GHz. The plugs connect at 2.4GHz. The nest mini meanwhile was switching between 5 and 2.4 like it kept trying 5 but then always had to switch back to 2.4. It was a couple of days after starting to use these that I had a problem with the router so it may not be connected at all. Let me know if you need any more info.

Trixiemay
Grafter

Well I bought a 'TP-LINK - Archer VR900 V2 WiFi Modem Router - AC 1900, Dual-band' from currys/pc world.  So easy to set up, just select the isp from the list and enter user/pass. (I altered the ssid and wifi pass as well).

Annoying thing I had previously bought a usb adaptor for my laptop because it was slow on 2.4ghz.  Thing is with the TP-link modem/router set to 40 bandwidth on 2.4mhz ... my laptop's internet speed is just as fast without the wifi adaptor.

My mobile was showing 40/50 Mbps but now shows nearly 70Mbps.

Had problems with my TT router (when I was with them) wouldn't recognise the printer. So it looks like getting a 3rd party modem/router is the solution for more than one isp.  Perhaps in the future Plusnet will offer a discount if we use our own modem/router?

Would thoroughly recommend investing in a 'TP-LINK - Archer VR900 V2 WiFi Modem Router - AC 1900, Dual-band'  (or similar).

NX1977
Hooked

A discount for equipment not as advertised would be a start
Lard365
Hooked

Just to say that I purchased a TP Link AC1900 Archer VR900 modem router and all my issues have gone away. Very easy to set. Somehow I can’t help feeling that Plusnet should be contributing to the purchase cost as this was driven entirely by this 5ghz issue as I have posted previously.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@NigeBoy wrote:
Even the BT HH6 is a Sagemcom router with shoddy firmware with obvious bugs.

Don't be so certain. There's more than one version and they are not all Sagem-manufactured.

@tonywalsh wrote:

@bobpullen 

The SmartLife plugs I'm using are Smart Plug, TECKIN WiFi Outlet https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07CVJYV3G/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_U_x_PR0kEbTZ921GD

The SmartLife app is installed on the android phone which couldn't access the internet when connected at 5GHz. The plugs connect at 2.4GHz. The nest mini meanwhile was switching between 5 and 2.4 like it kept trying 5 but then always had to switch back to 2.4. It was a couple of days after starting to use these that I had a problem with the router so it may not be connected at all. Let me know if you need any more info.

Thanks, I'll try and grab a couple next week. I assume you have them associated with Googel Home, as well as via the app?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

tonywalsh
Hooked

Yes - the plugs only become visible to Google Home after the SmartLife app has discovered them.

blu3andp1p
Hooked

Cheers @uk144 I'll keep my eye on eBay for the Zyxel VMG3925-B10C in the coming few days. Annoyingly it only seems like I can find the B10B model on there at the moment (Apart from a crazy price in the US)

I've fixed (using the term loosely) my 5ghz connection issues by not using it essentially. I  have Disabled / Seperated the 5ghz channel until the firmware update is pushed out. Interestingly I have talked to a few friends at work who have had the same issue, but had just assumed it was todo with their iPhones / devices.

1. Brief description of the problem, and how is masquerades itself. What are the symptoms? How frequently does it happen?
    iPhone always has been struggling to connect to the wifi.
    Potentially just a coincidence but when in different positions around the house it sometimes works okay (not sure if this was todo with it using a different channel when it was working) The problem was that the phone was showing as connected but didn't load anything. Additionally I noticed my nintendo switch doing the same thing yesterday which prompted me to look on this forum.

2. Do the devices having problems appear to be connected or associated with the hub?  Is the hub status indicator normal/blue when the problem occurs?
    The phone / switch / partners phone and roku box are all connected the plusnet hub. And the hub is the normal colour blue when the devices
    are connected.

3. Do you have the 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels merged (default setting) or split (different wireless network names)? If the networks are named differently, does the problem only affect the 5GHz network?
    Originally merged, however I have now seperated the channels into their own names e.g. blu3andp1p 2.4ghz & blu3andp1p 5ghz. I have only tested the 2.4ghz channel as I don't want to faff around and getting the issues with the 5ghz channel.

4. Once the problem occurs is it persistent?  Do you have any devices wired to the router and does the problem affect them at the same time?
    Was affecting multiple devices at the same time (apart from the Roku box) which is sat next to the router. (Switch, iPhone upstairs, Android Phone downstairs) all not showing an internet connection when connected to the router.

5. Are you able to reproduce the problem reliably? Do you think you have a way of triggering it? [for example waking a specific device from power save mode]
    I've only had plusnet for five days and have encountered it many times already. It seems to be exaccerbated when alot of devices are connected, potentially also in the order that they connect might be affecting it. (i.e. different settings per IP in last octet)

6. Is the problem always resolved by rebooting the hub?  If so, how long does it take before problems recuring If specific devices are always impacted when problems occur, please provide details of which devices are impacted and which aren't i.e. manufacturer, model, variant and operating system version.
    The devices that have this issue are: iPhone XR (permanently doesn't connect to the internet) Nintendo switch (disconnects but allows for reconnecting via the settings menu after disconnect) Motorola Android 10 phone.

7. Have the devices experiencing problems recently received any patches that might correspond with the time the issue first occurred?
    Nope, they also seem to be working fine now the wireless channels are seperated and I am only using the 2.4ghz channel.

8. Please provide a description of your home network setup and all devices in use including whether or not you're using any additional switches, Powerline adapters or wireless access points.
    Basic setup, 1 LAN port used for personal computer, all other devices connected (5 devices max at the moment)
gordon_mullan

1. Brief description of the problem, and how is masquerades itself. What are the symptoms? How frequently does it happen?
    As described in the initial post - primarily being connected but told there's no internet connection

2. Do the devices having problems appear to be connected or associated with the hub?  Is the hub status indicator normal/blue when the problem occurs?
    Yes it's the hub.  Light is blue, devices have no issue connecting to other networks (2.4 or 5GHz).

3. Do you have the 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels merged (default setting) or split (different wireless network names)? If the networks are named differently, does the problem only affect the 5GHz network?
    Tried both ways and yes, definitely just the 5GHz as the problem goes away when just connected to 2.4GHz (either by splitting the SSIDs, or disabling the 5GHz)

4. Once the problem occurs is it persistent?  Do you have any devices wired to the router and does the problem affect them at the same time?
    Yes persistent (kicks all devices off 5GHz). No effect on wired devices.

5. Are you able to reproduce the problem reliably? Do you think you have a way of triggering it? [for example waking a specific device from power save mode] 
    Difficult to say what triggers it

6. Is the problem always resolved by rebooting the hub?  If so, how long does it take before problems recur? 
    Yes, rebooting seems to fix the problem for a while - anything from 5 minutes to maybe half an hour.

7. If specific devices are always impacted when problems occur, please provide details of which devices are impacted and which aren't i.e. manufacturer, model, variant and operating system version.
    Affects anything trying to connect to 5GHz

8. Have the devices experiencing problems recently received any patches that might correspond with the time the issue first occurred?
    Been happening for months, but only recently found these threads on the forum and realised the issue.  I'm on the .263 firmware.  I thought it was a fault with the router so your customer services sent me a new one (which I had to pay postage for) but it has the same issue.

9. Please provide a description of your home network setup and all devices in use including whether or not you're using any additional switches, Powerline adapters or wireless access points.
    Wireless:
    Multiple Google minis (mix of 1st and 2nd gen)
    1 Amazon Alexa
    Up to 3 Windows 10 laptops
    Up to 4 mobile phones - all Android.  Galaxy S7 Edge, Galaxy S9+, Motorola G6 and Samsung A20.
    Google Chromecast
    Samsung Bluray player
    Lexmark CX517de printer
    Netgear extender
    Wired:
    Onkyo surround sound amp
    Humax HDR-1000S Freesat DVR
    Zonegate femtocell for Three mobile
    TP-Link Powerline adapter

mpatterson
Dabbler

Having the same issue and have firmware 4.7.5.1.83.8.263, seems to have got worse since December. Prior to that maybe once every 2 months or so but not regular enough to see a pattern, now around a week.

Brief description of the problem, and how is masquerades itself. What are the symptoms? How frequently does it happen?

As described in the initial post - primarily being connected but told there's no internet connection. Some devices show unable to Authenticate (in particular Phones). Router event log from most recent incident this morning looks like extract; (started from 04:15:32, 29 Jan. until reboot, Device 1 was Amazon Fire Stick, Device 2 was Amazon Echo)

07:34:13, 29 Jan.ath10: STA Device 2 IEEE 802.11: Client disassociated
07:34:03, 29 Jan.ath10: STA Device 2 IEEE 802.11: Client associated
07:32:57, 29 Jan.ath10: STA Device 1 IEEE 802.11: Client disassociated
07:32:47, 29 Jan.ath10: STA Device 1 IEEE 802.11: Client associated
07:29:12, 29 Jan.ath10: STA Device 2 IEEE 802.11: Client disassociated
07:29:02, 29 Jan.ath10: STA Device 2 IEEE 802.11: Client associated
07:27:57, 29 Jan.ath10: STA Device 1 IEEE 802.11: Client disassociated
07:27:47, 29 Jan.ath10: STA Device 1 IEEE 802.11: Client associated
07:24:12, 29 Jan.ath10: STA Device 2 IEEE 802.11: Client disassociated
07:24:02, 29 Jan.ath10: STA Device 2 IEEE 802.11: Client associated

Do the devices having problems appear to be connected or associated with the hub?  Is the hub status indicator normal/blue when the problem occurs?
Yes it's the hub.  Light is blue, devices have no issue connecting to other networks (such as the 2.4GHz).

Do you have the 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels merged (default setting) or split (different wireless network names)? If the networks are named differently, does the problem only affect the 5GHz network?
Channels are split with different names, 2.4GHz continues to work (but due to range some devices unable to use this)

Once the problem occurs is it persistent?  Do you have any devices wired to the router and does the problem affect them at the same time?
Yes persistent (kicks all devices off 5GHz). No effect on wired devices.

Are you able to reproduce the problem reliably? Do you think you have a way of triggering it? [for example waking a specific device from power save mode]
Not that i have noticed the event logs from this morning start from 04:15:32, 29 Jan. I have no automated processes I am aware of at this time and roughly week since last occurance.

Is the problem always resolved by rebooting the hub?  If so, how long does it take before problems recur?
Yes, rebooting seems to fix the problem for a matter of days/week and then happens again.

If specific devices are always impacted when problems occur, please provide details of which devices are impacted and which aren't i.e. manufacturer, model, variant and operating system version.
Affects anything trying to connect to 5GHz which are Amazon Echos dots (2nd gen), Amazon Echo (2nd gen), Amazon Fire Stick (2nd gen), Lenovo Chromebook, Lenovo Thinkpad (Windows 10), Huawei P30, Oneplus 6, Samsung Galaxy A8.

Have the devices experiencing problems recently received any patches that might correspond with the time the issue first occurred?
Only recently noticed issue, since December been more regular. Yes there have been updates but none at same time or type across all devices.

Please provide a description of your home network setup and all devices in use including whether or not you're using any additional switches, Powerline adapters or wireless access points.
Not all powered on and in use at same time but list of connected devices availible

Wireless 5G:
Amazon Fire stick (2nd gen)
Amazon Echo Dots (2nd gen)
Amazon Echo (2nd Gen)
Lenovo Chromebook
Lenovo Thinkpad (Windows 10)
Huawei P30
Oneplus 6
Samsung Galaxy A8

Wireless 2.4GHz
iMac 2007
Magic Home LED strips
Teckin Smart Life plugs (removed prior to latest occurance)
EZVIZ cameras
Amazon Fire Tablet
Toshiba Satelite laptop (Ubuntu)
Chromecast (1st Gen)

Zigbee Mesh
Variety of Sensors/Lights/Switches (Have had occurances before added and since)

Wired:
IKEA Gateway
Intel NUCi5
TP-Link Powerline adapters - Raspberry Pi 3/O2 Signal Booster/iMac 2007

Ray70
Hooked

Hi all as admitted by Plusnet they suspect this is firmware issue with the Hub One, since putting all my devices onto the 2.4HGhz connection and disabling 5Ghz it got to the stage where there was too much traffic, browsing was very slow, and streaming buffering.

I installed an alternative Access Point Apple Extreme 4th Generation, but as Apple have stopped supporting this. It to gave its problems mostly slow internet, even with the Freeview box connected via LAN.

On reading the previous post I decided to purchase a new router (TP Link AC 1600), they are expensive but I bought a refurbished unit.

Since installing, browsing is better, but more importantly I can traffic manage, between the 2 bands.

To summarise it is something to do with the HUb One of which Plusnet are not shying away from, but I fear because as said in a previous post on this thread those affected numbers are low, therefore we will get a fix but I suspect we are not very high in the priority order.

For the interim period I will carry on using the TP Link AC 1600, the Hub One has been disconnected.

briston
Aspiring Pro

I have had my firmware updated on what seems to be an experiment to see if it solves my problems. It doesn't.
The importance of having a stable stream is demonstrated with having some echo devices. They lose the stream, they stop.
As has been said, Plusnet has admitted to a problem but only some seen to experience it. I was not aware my problems had anything to do with the router. I blamed my cheap mobile, the now TV. Everything but! It was only when I got an echo that I suspected the stream. How many others have problems but are not aware of the possible cause? Plusnet have only offered that they are aware of the problem.
My conclusion. Useless.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@briston, somewhat irritatingly, you're the only person involved in the test who has not reported positive results. We could be lookign at a second issue, however I suspect there's something else is at play too. When you get a moment, have a read of the follow-up questions I've sent across. It seems from where I'm sat that you have wireless devices on your netowork that are connected to an access point that isn't the Hub One?

@tonywalsh wrote:

The SmartLife app is installed on the android phone which couldn't access the internet when connected at 5GHz. The plugs connect at 2.4GHz.

Can you confirm what model Android phone you're using? (and software version if it's not too much trouble). We've some of the Smartlife plugs on the way to test with.

@blu3andp1p, @gordon_mullan and @mpatterson - thanks for the detail. I'm going to drop you all a message privately, so keep an eye out...

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵