Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

FIXED
Lard365
Hooked

Re: Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

I have solved my problem by switching to a BT Home Hub that I picked up off eBay for under £20. Set up was easy and I haven’t had any of the connectivity problems as before. The only problem I now have is that the Access Controls on the Home Hub don’t work (there are long threads on the BT community pages about it) so I am back to square one as I need to block access for certain devices in the evening. I am about to start research into alternative routers, so if anyone has any ideas of a good alternative, I am sure others as well as myself would like to know.
ttstoo
Dabbler

I bought a BT Business Smart Hub 6, also on eBay, which cost me £20 + £2.50 postage.  It too was easy to install, and I've just tried disabling a device via the BT gui and it seems to work fine.

Hope this helps,

Tony

praful
Grafter

@bobpullen I have had this problem for few months. I didn't have it when I joined plusnet. I'm on:

Plusnet Hub One | Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 | Last updated 16/05/19

1. Brief description of the problem, and how is masquerades itself. What are the symptoms? How frequently does it happen?
The problem occurs every 1-2 weeks.

2. Do the devices having problems appear to be connected or associated with the hub? Is the hub status indicator normal/blue when the problem occurs?
The devices are connected to the hub. The status on the devices is "connected no internet". The hub indicator is normal.

3 Do you have the 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels merged (default setting) or split (different wireless network names)? If the networks are named differently, does the problem only affect the 5GHz network?
I've tried merging and splitting the channels. The problem remains.

4. Once the problem occurs is it persistent? Do you have any devices wired to the router and does the problem affect them at the same time?
Yes, the problem is persistent. If I move to another room, the device connects at 2.5ghz. So the hub is working. Also ethernet connected devices continue working.

5. Are you able to reproduce the problem reliably? Do you think you have a way of triggering it? [for example waking a specific device from power save mode]
No, unfortunately.

6. Is the problem always resolved by rebooting the hub? If so, how long does it take before problems recur?
Yes, rebooting always fixes the issue. One month ago I disabled 5GHz. That "fixed" the issue but it now means, wifi is slow on occasions (the ethernet devices continue to run at full speed).

7. If specific devices are always impacted when problems occur, please provide details of which devices are impacted and which aren't i.e. manufacturer, model, variant and operating system version.
All wireless devices that connect on 5GHz are affected: iPhone SE, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6s, an Android 8 phone and Google Home mini devices.

8 Have the devices experiencing problems recently received any patches that might correspond with the time the issue first occurred?
No. But it's possible that the problem was triggered by the addition of more Google Home devices (which are the only significant change before the problem occurred).

9 Please provide a description of your home network setup and all devices in use including whether or not you're using any additional switches, Powerline adapters or wireless access points.
A switch and TV are connected via ethernet. Devices are connected to the switch. Phones, iPad Air, three Google Home mini devices and one Google Home are connected via wifi to the router.

A suggestion (perhaps already being tried because it's a basic programming technique): I'm assuming the diagnostic logs for the router are not sufficiently illuminating and that the max debug/trace level also doesn't help. Can you produce a debug version of the firmware that will log extra diagnostics and install this on some routers that are affected? I suggest this because you can't re-produce the issue (which makes it difficult to fix) and many of us get it without fail within days/weeks. This will allow you to collect more diagnostic information from Plusnet users and track down the offending code.

Thanks for pursuing this issue.

Praful

tonywalsh
Hooked

I've got an android phone that remains connected to the 5GHz wifi network but reports 'No Internet access'. Other 5GHz connected devices continue to work ok. I'm using a Plusnet Hub One which is running firmware version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263

I 'fixed' the problem by splitting the 5GHz and 2.4GHz wifi and connecting my phone at 2.4GHz.

The only thing I can think of that might have led to this problem is that I installed a couple of smart mains sockets that only work on 2.4GHz and then installed the SmartLife app on my phone. I don't know if thats relevant but my phone was connecting to the internet ok until then.

mkstevo
Grafter

I purchased a separate modem and router to replace the PlusNet one that was giving me trouble. Bought in July (when I first tracked my problems to the PlusNet 5GHz) and have had no problems since.

I went for a Netgear Modem and an Aukey WiFi router. I have found that all other modem/routers I have had have failed after 15 months or so, usually with the VDSL modem failing, with the rest of the router usually still working. I now use these old units as WiFi signal boosters and to provide old WEP connectivity to my ancient music server which is incompatible with later encryption methods.

The PlusNet router has been the longest lasting unit I've had in all the years I've had internet connectivity apart from my old 14400 dial up modem. As I said, most last 15 months, some less than 3 months.

praful
Grafter

@tonywalsh Thanks - your symptoms are similar to mine. Splitting the wifi didn't help me. An Android phone, iPhone and iPad still failed to connect (presumably because they try to connect at the fastest speed, which is provided by 5GHz). I could have forced them onto the 2.4GHz but then the 5GHz band would have been useless since nothing will connect to it. So I disabled it and am using just 2.4GHz.

I've suggested that PlusNet release a debug build (if it's not been done already) to gather more information for failing routers.

Praful

praful
Grafter

@mkstevo Thanks for your comment. I could purchase a router but really think that PlusNet should fix this issue or replace the router. They may even be legally in breach of contract since they said I would get 5GHz when I joined last May.

Having used Compuserve/AOL/the internet for about 30 years, I've never had a modem or router fail on me. I refer both to business and domestic routers.

When I was with Virgin, their router was 10 years old (and still working) when it was replaced with a faster router, which was working the next three years until I changed providers.

You have been unlucky with modems/routers if you've got at most only 15 months of service out of them!

Praful

Flopsta

Same issue and mine also started around the time Smartlife plugs purchased and installed @bobpullen 

uk144
Dabbler

I have had an issue this year  - not able to establish an internet connection on a separate 5GHZ connection with my plusnet one router.

I am in the process of switching to John Lewis fibre BB (also Plusnet) and they sent me a Zyxel 3925-B10C router. Was keen to try it on Plusnet and the 5GHz performance is great. The WIFI range is as good (I actually think it is better). Ther are way more options to configure (like a guest SSID) but at the expense of ease of use. If you are confident in your IT skills then I would consider this as an option to the BT HH 6.

I was thinking of using my Plusnet router with John Lewis - but now I think I will give that a miss. (and it doesn't have so bright lights on the router!

Hope that helps.

praful
Grafter

Thanks @uk144 - that's useful to know.

mkstevo
Grafter

You could be right about having your router replaced (or at least repaired). As mine was over eighteen months old, and I considered it to be out of warranty, I thought the easiest and best way forward for me was to buy something to replace it.

The replacement has given no problems and since it required me to utilise one of my old units to provide old WEP connectivity for my music server, I had spare network ethernet ports behind the TV that I can plug the TV into which bypasses all the issues I was having.

I really wanted to update my earlier comments to confirm that since replacing the Plusnet Hub, I've had zero problems.

Ever since I've had any internet connection the Modems have had an average lifetime of thirteen months. Some much less. I had a Zoom 56k dial up modem that was replaced twice (three modems!) in twelve months. The Plusnet one has by some reckoning been the longest lasting. The previous Asus one was still working when I removed it, but isn't VDSL compatible.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@dobbo78 wrote:

I've just recently started having this issue having experienced no problems at all in the past.

The only change on my network recently is I added a new 4k Amazon Fire TV stick, everything else is as it has been since install many months ago.

Have had the Firestick running in the office the last week or so with an iPad and Google Pixel connected to the 5GHz and an Amazon Fire tablet occasionally connected on the 2.4GHz. PC wired to the Hub too. Didn't spot anything untoward. SSID's were split.

@unclefegg wrote:

I can get this almost 100% using an Apple iPad Air2 set to 5GHz. It will DC every time I put the iPad to sleep. If I disable and enable 5GHz on the router, it will work until I next sleep the iPad.

It was an iPad Air 2 I used above.

@NX1977 wrote:
Several people like me have Samsung devices.

Have these been tested?

I've guys with Samsung phones on the team (S8 and S9 I think) and have had them pitch in before when testing. Again to no avail.

Worth mentioning that these are just my own attempts to replicate. We've had teams attempt to replicate the issue in more controlled lab conditions too.

@praful wrote:

Can you produce a debug version of the firmware that will log extra diagnostics and install this on some routers that are affected? I suggest this because you can't re-produce the issue (which makes it difficult to fix) and many of us get it without fail within days/weeks. This will allow you to collect more diagnostic information from Plusnet users and track down the offending code.

It's a good suggestion, and it's something we've done to a certain degree. It's allowed us to identify a couple of issues but what hasn't yet become clear, is the trigger for these events. There may well be more we can do in this area though.

@tonywalsh and @Flopsta, you both mention a possible correlation with 'Smartlife' plugs. Would you mind sharing the exact model number as it seems it may offer a route to replication? I might then look to get hold of some.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

NX1977
Hooked

@bobpullen

Have you noticed overheating? I think this is the issue as since switching off 5ghz (because of the connection issues) there's almost no heat on the back of the router (WPS button side, about an inch from the top).

Both the previous unit and this one both had this, and both have the 5ghz issues.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@NX1977, I'll float the idea, thanks! Not personally noticed any heat issues.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

NX1977
Hooked

Another probably way off idea, is it linked to setting the blue Led to low power?

Nearby Plusnet or BT routers?

Just throwing another idea out there, as I'm not convinced it's a connected device causing it.