FIXED
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

@Baldrick1 wrote:

@bobpullen 

Thanks for giving this feedback. I trust that it will give those affected confidence that the problem is being addressed.

I find it interesting (nightmare for you!) that whilst one may easily assume that this is a software fault, such faults are normally systematic in nature. This seems incompatible with the fact that the fault does not affect all routers and is so difficult to replicate.

I assume that your team is also looking at the hardware as it occurs to me that this behaviour could well be a timing issue?

We've had affected devices returned to us previously, and still been unable to replicate the issue. Software is the main source of suspicion, especially given how mature the manufacturing process is and how evident it is that the problem goes away with the application of a previous firmware.

@mikejphillips wrote:

Bob - if it was a 'local interference' problem, surely that would affect the BT router too - same location?

Depends on the what BT router we're talking about? If it's a Smarthub (HH6) or Smarthub 2, then the router is indisputably more capable - Is has an extra 2.4GHz antenna for a start.

Does my son return the router?

That would be appreciated. We can arrange dispatch of a returns bag if you're able to provide some mechanism of me identifying the account. Failing that, you can take it to the local post office as per the guidance here.

@briston, splitting the bands may help if you then ignore the 5GHz SSID and connect everything to the 2.4GHz one. It will not help improve the issue seen when connecting to the 5GHz SSID. I'm glad to hear things have improved for you though.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

mikejphillips
Grafter

Thanks, Bob. The BT router is the 'same' model as far as I can see - BT Hub5.

I will liaise with my son as soon as he returns home - sadly he has an in-law medical crisis in progress.

catphone
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

I'm ok when on Ethernet and most of time with smart devices (FTTC HUB ONE.  Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263)

The Apple devices return no connection or slow connection (Shared SSID 2.4 / 5.0) when they feel like it. Annoying if in the middle of an app transaction etc. (have to give wifi a nudge with Aircraft mode etc.)

Don't know if best to split the signal - if I do, is it best to use a different password? OR switch 5.0 off ?

Getting bad enough to spoil the enjoyment. 

mikejphillips
Grafter

Cat - go back to the beginning of this thread by Bob and try switching off the 5 - he has clear guidance on how to do it. It can be reversed if you wish and until this issue is sorted is probably your best bet.

catphone
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

mikejphillips 

Hi - didn't hear back so split. (New SSID name + PW for 5.0)

Naturally everything has gone to 2.4 (in the mean time)

Seems to be more robust on 2.4 though a little slower loading pages. (leaves option to see if there's a gain on a compatible device or two connected to 5.0)

Ray70
Hooked

Nice one Bob, I do have access to another router but 5G is not end of the world.

Pleased that engineering have now excepted there is an issue and not isolated.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Hi folks, I have a favour to ask if anybody is willing to help out?

At the moment we're working with the belief that it is firmware build 4.7.5.1.83.8.259 that introduced this issue, however anecdotal evidence from a couple of customers we have downgraded to this version isn't conclusive (one continued to experience problems, whilst the other didn't).

I'd like to repeat this 'experiment' on another couple of cases so that we're doubly certain we're not barking up the wrong tree. Willing candidates would need to:-

• Be affected by the problem described at the start of this thread.
  • Be willing to have your router remotely downgraded. Note that this will initiate a factory reset that restores the device to it's default settings. This includes things like Wi-Fi passwords/port forwarding rules etc.
  • Be accepting that you will likely continue to experience problems, and will require a subsequent firmware upgrade at a later date (this one won't factory reset anything though).
  • Be willing to communicate your findings i.e. keep an eye on things and be able to conclusively say whether or not the 5GHz problem is evident on the older build or not.

If you're interested, then drop me a message containing your devices serial number and I'll schedule the downgrade.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

mikejphillips
Grafter

Bob - son still distracted by family issues, but i will see how it sits when he gets back. I have no access to his router at present.

dobbo78

I've just recently started having this issue having experienced no problems at all in the past.

The only change on my network recently is I added a new 4k Amazon Fire TV stick, everything else is as it has been since install many months ago.

Enable/Disable 5Ghz wireless in router settings seems to solve it,  without me needing to reboot router.

briston
Aspiring Pro

This whole matter has now become stupid, and for once I mean it.
I posted earlier with my opinion and experience. Since then I have been accused of calling people idiots, I have checked my posts and never did. I have been told I have been wrongly advised. How do I know when I am wrongly advised?. I have been told to offshore what Plusnet technical support days, presumably because the person who said that has infinitely more experience and knowledge.
To put everything together and simplify. I had a problem. Polisher admitted to a problem. Plusnet suggested a temporary fix. Plusnet advised they are working on it. Plusnet emailed me how to change my router. Plusnet changed my router remotely. Plusnet emailed the link to this very thread. My problem has gone.
But of course. I call people idiots, my problem is nothing to do with this, Plusnet should be ignored, Plusnet should not be allowed to change my router.
Finally, no I do not applause Plusnet for solving my problem nor the work they are doing on a long term fix. It should never have happened in the first place.
briston
Aspiring Pro

And yes there are plenty of typos in my previous post. I am annoyed, not with Plusnet bit with all the comments. Anyway, I like to please everyone including those who like to find spelling and autocorrect errors.
Meridan
Hooked

Same issue here. Started a few weeks ago, disabling 5g solves it, at least for now.

unclefegg

I'll sign up. It seems to be impossible to send you a private message, so send me one and I will give you my router number.

I can get this almost 100% using an Apple iPad Air2 set to 5GHz. It will DC every time I put the iPad to sleep. If I disable and enable 5GHz on the router, it will work until I next sleep the iPad.

unclefegg

I also suspected it was Apple devices but the kids Xbox (multiple) also have the same issue. When you boot up, the 2Ghz is always picked as nothing can get onto the 5Ghz until I reboot or disable/enable 5Ghz on the router again.

Meridan
Hooked

We have this on apple devices (iPad 2 and iphone 6), but also on an amazon fire. All other android devices don't seem to be affected.