Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

FIXED
Lard365
Hooked

Re: Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue

I should also say that my ‘old’ networks were called PLUSNET-XXXX for the 2.4 and PLUSNET-XXXX5GHZ for the 5ghz one. The 2.4 still has its original name but the one that has appeared is PLUSNET-XXXX_5G.
Supermuscleman

I've been trying to use the btsport I pay for on my Chromecast ultra with the router. You can only cast in 4k on the 5ghz network. I've found I've had to reboot daily and sometimes hourly. Very dissatisfied with plusnet over this issue. It shows a lack of testing from plusnet. What is the timescale to get this fixed? 

Lard365
Hooked

With reference to the questions being asked in the first post:
1. Happens as described- seems to be a real issue when Apple iPads and iPhones are connected to the 5ghz network. They just freeze whilst the Xbox and Android devices still seem to connect.
2. All devices are connected through WiFi. The light on the router remains blue even when this issue occurs
3. Bands are split. Issue only seems to effect those on the 5ghz network. The 2.4 continues to work fine.
4. When I have had devices wired to the router they appear to work fine
5. Issue seems to happen randomly but is probably most prevalent when the network is being used by a large number of devices
6. Problem is usually, though not always, resolved by rebooting the router. Sometimes it can be days or just an hour before the issue reoccurs
7. iPhones SE, iphone6s and iPhone XR all impacted as are iPad 5 and Air 1. All running ios13 or the latest iPad software. Samsung Smart tv also loses connection. Xbox stays connected as done Kindle Fire 8
8. Feels like it has been an ongoing problem for a year. Poor connectivity for Apple devices forced me to split the signal which did improve things but was regularly plagued by the 5ghz signal issues from (estimated) April 2019. Not aware of any changes to devices or software at that time.
9. Have been using TP Link AC1750 WiFi range extenders, but this was after the issue first started
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

@jacslee wrote:

I still have the old BT Homehub 6, and am now reading up on how to use that but will monitor this thread with interest.

For information the Plusnet Hub One is an old generation BT Home Hub 5A in a different case and flaky firmware. BT replaced this with their Home Hub 5B before moving on to supplying your 'old' Smarthub 6.

Setting instructions are here: https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-the-BT-Smarthub-6-on-a-Plusnet-Account/m-p/1587673#M85...

No doubt there will be a fix to extend the life of the Hub One for a bit and Bob needs feedback to help identify what's going wrong to assist with getting this sorted. However, for those who want  better performance for very little money I would advise giving him feedback then getting a Smarthub 6 from the likes of EBay.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

jacslee

Thanks, I now have my old BT Smarthub up and running and everything is working perfectly.

marksimpson

Hi,

Having issues with the 5GHz connection like others here. I have the two networks separated and some devices on 2.4, some of 5.  I was unable to connect to the 5GHz network as it told me the password was incorrect.  Rebooted the router and while I could connect briefly, that connection had no active internet connection available on it.

10 minutes later and trying to connect, it is once again telling me that the password is incorrect. 

Attempted connection using Chromebook and Android 10 mobile with the same results.

No issues on 2.4GHz. 

Mark. 

funn3r
Hooked

Are there any "unlocking" issues which you need to do with your ex-BT device before you can use it with your existing Plusnet service?

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

@funn3r 

No, you just need to follow the instructions referenced above. There's some debate whether or not your Plusnet password can contain special characters so they are best avoided. Also do not plug the DSL cable in until instructed to do so.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

wellanna
Dabbler

Found this forum post after suffering related issues with my Plusnet Hub.

After reading some of the original discussion posts, I'll admit to being somewhat shocked. This has been going on for Plusnet customers since March-2019, and it's still an issue?

Oddly, I'd got to the point of disabling the 5GHz radio before finding the post. It seemed to help, at least initially, but I'd say there are still some similar symptoms, just not as severe as before.

My router in on Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263.

It looks like the only permanent resolution is a downgrade of the router firmware. How do I get this implemented on my Plusnet Hub?

Thanks, Neal.

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

Firmware upgrades and downgrades are controlled by PlusNet, you can't do anything locally and they are not doing downgrades any more. When this 5GHz issue started a few customers did manage to get downgraded but I expect the numbers of routers affected is so large PlusNet have decided to stop downgrading. If I had this kind of problem with an ISP supplied router I would just get rid of it. I have never used routers offered by an ISP.  A lot of PlusNet customers have got BT HH6 routers which work well and are available for a reasonable price on auction sites. Even if PlusNet find out what the problem is it could still be many months before a modified firmware is tested and made available for release.☹️

NigeBoy
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

It would be good to know how many customers are actually affected and have reported the problem to Plusnet.
Plusnet have always said it is relatively few but in post 7 on this thread @bobpullen suggests it is hundreds of thousands.
That was a big step to take in one post but I guess it shows that this is now getting the attention it should have had from the beginning.
Plusnet have now realised the problem was introduced earlier than first thought in a firmware that not everyone was upgraded to. It has therefore been affecting some users for over 12 months.
As @RealAleMadrid suggests though, I doubt we will see a fix in the very near future.
funn3r
Hooked

Actually I would like a fix in the very near future. It's just a firmware; how hard can it be? And for such a service-affecting problem. OK there's the "buy yourself a new router" workaround but apart from that I am completely stuck because I need 2.4 and 5 GHz synced for my home automation to work.

NigeBoy
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

@funn3r
I would live to get a fix for this too, that's why I have continued to push it with Plusnet.
None of us should need to buy our own router to get around a problem created by Plusnet.
Even the BT HH6 has it's bugs.
BT Group & sagemcom need to get their act together.
Sadly they can just hide behind the Ombudsman & Ofcom and their drawn out complaints procedures.
wellanna
Dabbler

Thank you @RealAleMadrid & @NigeBoy for your responses. I know what I'll have to do in order to get a quick resolution to this issue.

I understand that using an alternative router will rectify the issue, but not all customers are able or willing to go down that path. The Plusnet Hub is an intrinsic part of the service provided by Plusnet, and they are responsible for ensuring it operates in a manner such that it delivers a "continuous, high-quality service", as it states in their terms and conditions.

If the device they are providing to customers is incapable of doing that, then they should be providing customers with an alternative device that can.

If there is a problem affecting hundreds of thousands of routers, as pointed out by Plusnet themselves, then you'd think there would have been some urgency applied to rectifying it. I'm not seeing evidence of that from the responses on this forum.

What say you @bobpullen ?

Thanks, Neal.

mikejphillips
Grafter

Bob - many thanks for that guide. I can report success for my son whom I 'persuaded' to join PN a month or so ago - but has had virtually unusable wifi since then. I use my own router (a Billion) and was thus unaware of the issue but was disturbed to see how long this problem had remained unsolved and had I known about it I might well have changed my recommendation! My son is less than happy with his first month! I cannot fill in all the answers, but here goes:

1. Brief description of the problem, and how is masquerades itself. What are the symptoms? How frequently does it happen?
    Constant dropping of wifi connecton. Wife's laptop would not connect at all.
  2. Do the devices having problems appear to be connected or associated with the hub?  Is the hub status indicator normal/blue when the problem occurs?
    Yes and don't know.
  3. Do you have the 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels merged (default setting) or split (different wireless network names)? If the networks are named differently, does the problem only affect the 5GHz network?
    As set up, merged with common SSID. Now 5Ghz switched off.
  4. Once the problem occurs is it persistent?  Do you have any devices wired to the router and does the problem affect them at the same time?
    Yes: I understand a powerline connection remained stable.
  5. Are you able to reproduce the problem reliably? Do you think you have a way of triggering it? [for example waking a specific device from power save mode]
    Pass
  6. Is the problem always resolved by rebooting the hub?  If so, how long does it take before problems recur?
    Pass
  7. If specific devices are always impacted when problems occur, please provide details of which devices are impacted and which aren't i.e. manufacturer, model, variant and operating system version.
    I do not have too much detail, but 2 x Windows laptops, Amazon Echo and an IPhone 5
  8. Have the devices experiencing problems recently received any patches that might correspond with the time the issue first occurred?
    No, too new.
  9. Please provide a description of your home network setup and all devices in use including whether or not you're using any additional switches, Powerline adapters or wireless access points

I am a bit vague here PN router, 2 x Powerlines, 1 WAP in an outbuilding fed by powerline, and remained  solid.    

I can ask him to contact you if you need more.  I have suggested he might wish to try splitting the SSIDs next and revert if necessary..