Did you mean: 

Hub 2

FIXED
SWANECO
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Hub 2

Hi,

In February 2022 I received a Plusnet Hub 2.

I decided that a my Hub 1 was working I would swap them over later and forgot all about it.

The Hub 2 has now turned up during a de-cluttering effort.

I have seen posts suggesting that it is has a superior performance to Hub1.

There are posts suggesting that I may have problems due to it not being used promptly.

Any advice please.

15 REPLIES 15
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 258

Re: Hub 2

@SWANECO My suggestion: Plug it in, switch it on, and see what happens - but do let us know.

John
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 51

@SWANECO 

The Hub2 is reported to have better WiFi.

As it's not been used it may / will have dropped off the PN Management system so won't get firmware updates. This can usually be sorted by a staff member if required. Before plugging it in take a note of the serial number - you will be asked this at some point. Once operational take a note of the firmware version - when you plug it in and a couple of days later.

Brian

Edit : It will have a different SSID & password so this needs to be sorted.

SWANECO
Rising Star

Hi,

Thanks for the help, where will I find the serial number?

jab1
Legend

I suspect it will be on the pull-out card, and/or on the label on the Hub, or, when you plug it in/switch it on, it is on the Technical Log>Information page.

John
SWANECO
Rising Star

Hi,

I am hoping to change the SSID and wireless password thus saving me having to change the WIfi access details on everything else.

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 51

@SWANECO 

Straight forward when you log into the router. Note one major difference - you cannot split the 2.4 and 5 bands.

Brian

paul_blitz
Rising Star

I upgraded my brother's Hub1 to a Hub2, and can confirm that his wifi is indeed better. There was one room in his flat where the wifi was a bit dodgy before, but it's fine now!

Anonymous
Not applicable

I would check both the Hub-1 and Hub-2 with this test - https://www.waveform.com/tools/bufferbloat 

and compare the resulting "Bufferbloat Grade" and then use the router showing the best score.

There have been many topics on this forum where the Hub-1 gave better latency for gaming and Zoom calling.

The key to having a nice responsive internet connection is to have minimal bufferbloat,  other things like WiFi can be improved with cheap Wireless Access Points and Powerline adaptors.

SWANECO
Rising Star

Hi,

Swapped over the router and changed SSID and passwords.

All seems well, definitely stronger signal.

Version is an old one, not 0.10.00.04201-PN. which I believe is the current version.

Hopefully it will update itself !

Thank for all your help.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 407

Hopefully it will update itself !

I'm afraid it probably won't!. If it hasn't been used since Feb 2022 it will almost certainly have 'dropped off' the management platform, since its not 'called home' for 2 years!

One of the PN staff may come along and assist with re-adding it to the managemnet platform...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

SWANECO
Rising Star

Hi,

Router serial number from Basic Status page is

Serial number:

+108417+2139000118.

Router stats seem very sparse compared with Hub 1, are they there somewhere?

jab1
Legend

The same information as on the Hub1 is available in the Hub2 - just in slightly different places, from what I have seen. NOTE; I don't use one, but have collected screenshots of most of the pages.

John
paul_blitz
Rising Star

Router stats seem very sparse compared with Hub 1, are they there somewhere?

What sort of stuff you looking for? Clearly there's the connection details under the "Status" page. The "My Devices" page lists all your client devices, and if you go to the equivalent page in the "Advanced Settings" page, you can remove devices from the list, but more helpfully (and like the Hub1) rename them to something useful!

All the "Firewall" stuff (ie if you need to allow any INCOMING connections) is also in the Advanced section.

The "Technical Logs" are also in the Advanced section

SWANECO
Rising Star

Hi,

Many thanks for all the helpful comments.

You are quite correct the missing information is there, only in a different place.

The new router is a definite improvement.

My system shows it was, or thought it was updated today at 14:32.   Still on the old version though, 07154.

It would be helpful if it could be added to the appropriate database for updating.