cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 2 splitting wifi bands.

anna2825

Hub 2 splitting wifi bands.

I have the same issue. I rang Plus Net today and after nearly an hour of speaking to someone I was getting nowhere.  He didnt seem to understand why there was a problem not knowing if I was using 2gz or 5gz .  When I tried to explain he got angry and told ME 'he was trying to stay calm' Really??!?!?!??!?!?   

I have 5 months to go on my contract and thinking about switching and paying the excess just to be rid of them!

Moderators Note: Topic title updated.

9 REPLIES 9
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Re: hub 2

I have 5 months to go on my contract

@anna2825 that would mean your contract started at least 7 months ago ? In which case are you sure you have a Hub 2 ? IIRC they were only available from Nov last year. If you have a Hub 1 then you CAN split the wifi bands and allocate different SSID's.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

anna2825

No, I joined up January 2021 and until last week I had Hub One which dropped connection at least once a day evry day.  Finally they sent me Hub 2, all set up but you cant see which network you are using 2gz or 5 gz and none of my smart plugs will work now. 

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Moderators Note

Posts split into a new topic for better visibility.

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

none of my smart plugs will work now. 

@anna2825  what make/model are your smart plugs ?

are they 2.4ghz only ? even so they should work with a dual band router. Have you tried a full reset on the smart plug ?

If that doesnt work then try disabling the 5ghz band on the router and see if that allows the smart plugs to connect

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

@anna2825 wrote:

...  Finally they sent me Hub 2, all set up but you cant see which network you are using 2gz or 5 gz and none of my smart plugs will work now. 

Log in to the Hub and go to the 'My network' page. Here you will find a list of all the devices connected to your network and the band being used by wireless devices.

If you need separate bands then see here: https://community.plus.net/t5/Tech-Help-Software-Hardware-etc/Separate-Bands-with-a-Smarthub-2-or-Pl... and here: https://community.plus.net/t5/Tech-Help-Software-Hardware-etc/Separate-Bands-with-a-Smarthub-2-or-Pl...

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

You can turn the 5Ghz bands off, trying doing that connecting your smart plugs and then switching the 5ghz bands back on. 

Once they've connected at 2.4GHz once they should be ok.

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Thanks a lot for reaching out @anna2825.

So if you log onto your Hub Two manager, and click into "My Network", you should be able to see all of the devices that are connected to your router. You'll also be able to choose to show only 2.4GHz devices, and 5GHz, thus showing you which band you're connected to. 

You can't split the bands and use them simultaneously on the Hub Two, I am aware that there are some devices out there that only use 2.4GHz such as smart bulbs and your plugs, in which case, I'd turn off 5GHz completely. Smiley 

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
SpecialD
Rising Star

Your smart plugs won't work because it's a different router, even if you name the SSID the same and give it the same password it doesn't mean they will automatically connect first time without re-authorisation. Did your phone (or other wifi device) ask you to re-enter the password? - This is why you have to 'reset' all the plugs to factory default and set them up from the app all over again.

(I just kept my old hub 1 as an extender in another room attached to a home plug, until I can be bothered)

grtuser777
Hooked

As a new recipient of a Hub 2 this is disappointing.  On my Hub One I'd split the 2.4 and 5GHZ bands as one of my devices performed like a dog when connected to 5GHZ, all the others were fine so I split the bands and had the fussy one always connect to the 2.4GHZ band which worked fine.

Why was this feature removed in the Hub 2 and are there any plans to reinstate it ?