Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 2 Router and Powerline Adapter.

FIXED
pjacross
Fixes: 1

Hub 2 Router and Powerline Adapter.

Folks,

apologies if this in the wrong forum....it was toss up between Router and Tech.

I previoulsy had the Hub 1 along with TP-Link Powerline kit, for several years, with no issues. Used to provide wired internet to a couple of TVs in the house.

Recently upgraded to full fibre, with the Hub 2 router and hit the following problem:-

The Hub 2 router fails to recognise the TPLink Powerline Adapter (TL-PA8010P), but does recognise the Wifi-Extenders (TL-WPA8630Ps), which are further downstream. As with the previous Hub 1, I used cable connectivity to the TV and not the WiFi function.

With the new installation, I can pair the Powerline Adapter with the WiFi Extenders... and acess all Powerline devices using their phone app "tpPLC".

The problem is between the Hub 2 router and the Adapter (TL-PA8010P).

Went through the usual diagnostics, swapping cables, port, factory resets, etc.

I did notice the when swapping between Hub 2 ports 1-3, the Event Log shows new "DHCP device connected", but the device type is "unkown".

I can always connect TV's over Wifi, but prefer cabled connectivity.

Any ideas?

6 REPLIES 6
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

Re: Hub 2 Router and Powerline Adapter.

Hi @pjacross welcome to the forum

For my experience of TP-Link powerline adapters only the wireless access point will be seen by the Hub as it will will have an IP address assigned. The adapter connected to the Hub does not have an IP Address and will not be seen by the Hub.

The Hub Two will not know what the device type it has allocated an IP address, this can be corrected in Advanced Settings >My Network, against the Port it is connected to click the device and select the wireless extender icon.

HTH

pjacross
Fixes: 1

Fix

Thanks for the reply Dan.

Finally got it sorted.

Combination of factory resets on all devices and user impatience regarding the Adapter.

Resolution summary - 

The Powerline Adapter (TL-PA8010P) never registered in the Hub 2 Event Log. This initialy confused me as the further downstram WiFi extenders did register as devices (MAC, IP Addresses, etc).

It looks as though the Adapter is considered as a pass-thru device and never registered. 

The following Wifi Extenders now all work correctly (MAC and IP addresses, etc)

• 2 x TP-WPA8630P V2
  • 1 x TP-WPA4220 
  • 1 x Netgear AC1200 WiFi Range Extender.

wolsty

I've just moved to Plusnet from EE.  With my old router, I used two old TalkTalk powerline adapters to connect to an HP printer in a different room.  The system no longer works.  I've factory reset everything, but to no avail.  From the log, it appears that the router connects to the transmitter, then a few seconds later, disconnects.  This bears out my observation that I can pair the adapters when not connected to the router, but shortly after plugging in the cable, the link disappears.  Plusnet have sent a second router, but the problem persists.  I've tried to connect to Plusnet via my old EE router, but it won't recognise the Plusnet username.  Incidentally, apart from colour, the menus for both EE an Plusnet routers are identical.

willcutforth
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 97

Hey there @wolsty and welcome to the forum. I can see that our higher level escalation team are dealing with this so I will leave it with them as I don't want to cross wires with this.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Will Cutforth
 Plusnet Help Team
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

This bears out my observation that I can pair the adapters when not connected to the router, but shortly after plugging in the cable, the link disappears.

@wolsty you're not plugging into the red WAN port on the Hub 2 are you ? You need to connect to one of the three LAN ports (1-3)

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

wolsty

Nope.  Just the yellow.  Normally port 1, but I have tried others to no good effect.