Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 2 Bridging Mode

FIXED
akajonnygee

Hub 2 Bridging Mode

Hi everyone. I hope you can help!

I have a Plusnet hub 2. I am a business user and have a small home office network. My Hub 2 firewall is turned off. My Hub 2 DHCP is turned off. I have a static IP (202.xxx.xxx.xxx) which is currently assigned to my Plusnet Hub 2 on the internet facing side. The LAN side IP for the Hub 2 is 192.168.1.254

On the inside of my network (LAN side) I have a firewall (PFSense, located on a PC with 2 NICs). This PFSense firewall deals with all the traffic in and out of my network. It is also the DHCP server for the network. It has 2 NICs one connecting to the LAN - currently 192.168.1.2., and one connecting to the WAN, currently 192.168.1.227 It all works fine.....but I want my Plusnet Hub 2 to act only as a modem, nothing else, so then my WAN NIC will be facing the internet directly and will pick up the static IP from Plusnet.. I believe the Plusnet Hub 2 has the capacity to do this via 'bridging mode'. I have tried turning bridging mode on, but the hub then fails to connect to the internet...can anyone help, how do I setup bridging mode on the Plunet Hub 2 so that the Hub 2 connects to the internet and acts only as a modem....and how do I set up the WAN NIC on the PFSense firewall to access the internet through the HUB 2 when it is in bridging mode.

Thanks

In Advance

14 REPLIES 14
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Re: Hub 2 Bridging Mode

Fix

In bridge mode, the Hub Two will act solely as an xDSL modem i.e. zero routing capability and zero awareness of the PPP login credentials required to establish a connection to the Internet.

The PFSense firewall will need configuring to use PPPoE on the WAN interface, and your broadband login credentials etc. configuring there. 

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Deleted.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from ADSL Broadband to My Router

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
akajonnygee

Thank-you for your response and IT WORKS!. Just so everyone else knows here are my exact steps....

1. Put Plusnet Hub 2 in Bridging mode (Home>Advanced Stettings>Broadband) at the bottom of the page.

2. Go to PFSense Firewall web interface (Default is 192.168.1.1). Login to PFSense with your credentials - defaults are Username: admin / Password: pfsense

3. Go to Interfaces>WAN

4. Change IPv4 to PPPoE

5. Scroll down the page to PPPoE Config section

6. Enter your ADSL username and password. These can be found on your Plusnet Hub 2 (Home>Advanced Stettings>Broadband).....eg username: example@plusadsl.net / password: !"£ferrari!"£

7. Save settings (bottom of page)

8. Apply settings (top of page)

9. Check your interfaces on you PFSense Dashboard

10. Your WAN IP should now show as a public IP. Eg 212.xxx.xxx.xxx

11. Go to the pub to celebrate!

rnewberry
Dabbler

I have tried this on vmware esxi 7.0 and have 2 nics and it just doesnt work. Also tried it on the dsl router which worked on virgin media as a router. Virgin media router as a modem. This time round it doesnt. Any ideas
akajonnygee

I've not tried this on VMWare or similar.

My setup is a physical machine with PFSense installed on it and 2 NICS....one for LAN, one for WAN. The WAN is attached to the Plusnet router...the LAN connects to an internal switch. The router is setup with PPOe (using my Plusnet credentials)...and once this is done the WAN NIC on the PFSense firewall picks up a static public IP from Plusnet. I assume you have requested a static Public IP from Plusnet?

BTW, once it connects in bridging mode the light on the router turns purple.

rnewberry
Dabbler

yeah i got a static ip address, router goes purple. i been plugging it into the wan port port 4. 

Any possibiliity you can try this on vmware esxi 7.0 update 3. PfSense.

i followed this guide.

https://getlabsdone.com/how-to-install-pfsense-on-esxi-step-by-step-guide/

If you can i'd be appreciated.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Plugging what into the WAN port/port 4?

If you're using the Hub Two in bridge mode as a dumb modem, then there's a possibility that the outbound interface of the PFSense box requires plugging into one of the Hub Two's LAN ports i.e. port 1, 2 or 3, not the WAN port.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

rnewberry
Dabbler

I use VMWARE ESXI 7.0 with 2 NIC and configured in vmware.

The WAN cable was connected to the WAN Port of the hub 2 not tried ports 1 to 3 yet using pfsense i have tried it on a dsl router and nothing no routing on port 1-3 but haven't tried it on PfSense Firewall.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

According to your ealier comment, you tried it using a Virgin DSL router? I very much doubt Virgin routers are configured to use PPPoE.

Whatever you are using to connect to the Hub Two in bridge mode, be it PFSense or anything else, it needs to be talking PPPoE and will require configuring with your Plusnet broadband username and password.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

rnewberry
Dabbler

WAN port goes to the second NIC i have got in the pc. which is configured in vmware esxi. 

rnewberry
Dabbler

As you can see it's all setup ready it didnt work with wan port 4. will try port 1-3 and will report back.

Thanks for replying.

rnewberry
Dabbler

It's all there my username and password ready.

rnewberry
Dabbler

it has PPPOE functionality on it.