cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 1 connectivity to HP Instant Ink

SusieGi
Dabbler

Hub 1 connectivity to HP Instant Ink

Printer has WiFi connection to HP Instant Ink according to Instant Ink account, but Instant Ink cannot connect to printer and cannot monitor ink levels of cartridges. It can, however, monitor the pages printed. HP has stopped me printing until ink levels in cartridges can be monitored. HP tried, but seems unable to provide help that will correct the problem. Instant Ink assigned to 2.4GHz (separate SSID) as it won't work with 5GHz. Thought problem had been resolved at one point but was wrong.

13 REPLIES 13
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: Hub 1 connectivity to HP Instant Ink

Can you open the printers IP address in your browser and see the ink levels ok?
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
SusieGi
Dabbler

Situation has changed slightly since my initial query. I reset printer webservices which meant entering a new printer claim code on the Instant Ink account Home Page - this was specified on page printed out automatically by printer. Still could not get printer to connect with HP Instant Ink via account page and still had same message that Instant Ink couldn't monitor ink levels. Yesterday tried the Instant Ink account again and the ink status indicated I was good to go and and there was no need to replace cartridges. Still unable to get printer to HP but have been able to print out some pages I needed and these have been registered on the account Home page. I am sure this is only a temporary fix.

I opened the printer's IP address as you suggested and could see the ink levels. However although the cartridges looked full (they were new cartridges) the message underneath said the levels were estimated ink levels and the actual levels may vary. I presume this is because there is still no connectivity between the printer and Instant Ink.

colint17

Hi,

I've been having exactly the same problem since I changed my HP printer to an HP Deskjet 2710 a couple of months ago !

On the instant ink web page it shows printer is online and I can print with no problems, however the page always says "cannot connect to printer now". So page counts are not being updated.

I've spent 3 hours to HP support and raised 2 different tickets, but still no joy. On the last call the help desk said that my printer did not support wifi access points, which is rubbish as I can print wirelessly with no problems. They have confirmed they think problem is that the printer and HP web server cannot communicate.

I've even spoken to me access point provider Ubiquiti, but no solution,

If anyone has a fix I would love to hear it.

SusieGi
Dabbler

Hi

I haven't been able to resolve my problem with HP Instant Ink connectivity despite chatting to HP online (now unavailable) for hours, letting HP have access to the computer, speaking to a one supervisor on numerous occasions and then that supervisor's supervisor without getting anywhere. I was basically told it was because HP Instant Ink was confused because the Hub 1 was dual band and to assign the printer to the 2.4GHz band. I tried this but it made no difference. A list of other changes that should be made to the hub and firewall settings were suggested which I've been hesitant to do being a novice and not knowing what other problems the changes might cause. I tried the HP community based forum for help too, but was referred back HP UK for help having been told it was a connectivity problem, which I already knew.

In my case, although HP cannot connect to monitor ink levels in the Instant Ink cartridges, it is able to count and register the number of pages I print and I receive a statement of the number of pages printed each month. However, eventually it will stop printing after a while because the ink levels cannot be/haven't been monitored.

colint17

Hi,

Nice to talk to someone with similar problem. The problem I'm having is that the instant ink web page always says "Contacting printer. This may take a minute..." and never connects although printer is shown as online with a green tick

When I'm on the instant ink web page the pages printed are never updated immediately, always a delay of several hours/days to reflect the accurate count.

Be interesting to see if my billing page count is correct and whether I'm sent new cartridges at the correct time.

Fed up with HP support, after many hours all they could suggest was the following options, both of which are not cost effective for me:

1) Buy an HP business printer

2) Don't use instant ink, but buy my cartridges instead

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

@colint17 @SusieGi  if either of you would like to try changing the DNS on the printer I found this

Some users have confirmed they’ve fixed server connection errors by changing the DNS server for the HP printer to Google’s 8.8.8.8 IP address.

To do that, open the Embedded Web Server page as outlined above. Then click Wireless on the left of the Network tab. Select the IPv4 tab, enter 8.8.8.8 as the first DNS there, and click Apply. Then users have configured the printer to utilize Google’s DNS instead of the router’s DNS server.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

colint17

Thanks, just tried this but still the same problem.

I think this issue is a connection problem between the printer and the HP Web server going through my Ubiquiti Networks UAP-AC-LR access point. But HP now say that access points are not supported with my printer but I think they would struggle to find this documented.

As I said previously the page count does occasionally update but can take days. So I'll probably have to live with this for now. I had no problems with the same access point setup with my previous HP ENVY 5640 printer and instant ink. 

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

@colint17 wrote:

I think this issue is a connection problem between the printer and the HP Web server going through my Ubiquiti Networks UAP-AC-LR access point. But HP now say that access points are not supported with my printer but I think they would struggle to find this documented.

They're just trying to find something else to blame, complete rubbish! Assuming other devices can get to the Internet via the access point then why should the printer not be able to...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

SusieGi
Dabbler

Hi

I haven't tried this although I have seen your advice has been used and worked for some HP printer users but I didn't find it helped.

SusieGi
Dabbler

Hi

Just realised the last message I sent about changing the DNS on the printer was confusing. As HP had tried more than once to do as you suggested and it had made no difference to connectivity, I haven't bothered trying it again. Hope that makes more sense.

SusieGi
Dabbler

@colint17 

My Instant Ink web page is the same as yours in that Printer is shown online with a green tick and "Contact printer. This may take a minute...." never connects.

On the Print History page is a description of how page counts are made which I expect you've read already. As printed pages are only recorded about once a day when the printer is connected to the internet there's sometimes a delay between printing and date recorded in Print History. I have found that this means pages printed one day may not be reflected in Print History until the next day and that's with my printer on all the time.

I can't understand why if HP can connect to the printer to record the number of pages that are printed it can't connect/contact the printer to measure Instant Ink levels.

colint17

I'm not sure what has changed, I've certainly made any network changes in the last couple of weeks, but the HP Instant Ink web page, running from Chrome, is connecting correctly. For the last few days I'm consistently getting the connection message "Current as of", indicating the HP Web Server is communicating with my printer correctly.

Happy days, thanks for all your help !

SusieGi
Dabbler

@colint17 

I'm pleased to hear everything is working out for you now. My printer is still printing at the moment, but still no change with connectivity with Instant Ink.

Thanks for your help, but I decided not to change any more router settings and managed to get another printer - not an HP one.