cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to disable remote access to the Plusnet Hub 2 management interface

FIXED
JohnAndyB

How to disable remote access to the Plusnet Hub 2 management interface

I just got a static IP address for my Plusnet service.

While checking that incoming traffic was able to get to the address, I was surprised to find that by default I was able to access my router's management web interface remotely. I would have expected this to be disabled, for security reasons.

I'd like to disable remote access to the router's management interface, so that it is only accessible from my local LAN.

I can't see an option to do this? Am I missing something, or is it a matter of setting up a firewall rule to block the access?

5 REPLIES 5
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

Re: How to disable remote access to the Plusnet Hub 2 management interface

Fix

As far as I can remember it is disabled.  When you were testing, where you on your LAN and just using your external IP address?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 416

@JohnAndyB  Welcome to the community forum.

How have you come to the conclusion that you can access it remotely? I suspect that you have somehow got your wires crossed.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

JohnAndyB

Hmmm, maybe remote access is not happening after all.

I was testing just by using the external IP address in my browser instead of my local 192.168... address.

The management interface was coming up using the external IP address so I thought external access was possible.

But maybe not...

I don't have an alternative internet connection here (no mobile signal), so I switched on a VPN and then tried to access the router remotely, as if from Germany.

This time the management interface did not respond.

So I guess the router must be clever enough to spot (when I'm not using the VPN) that I'm trying to connect to it's own external-facing address and to handle the traffic internally without routing to the internet and back.

This seems to be confirmed using tracert and also by the results of online IP scan tools that are reporting my port 80 to be filtered.

So it seems there's no need for me to find a way to disable remote access - it has been disabled all along.

Apologies if I've wasted anyone's time - but I'll leave this thread on the record just in case anyone else finds this information useful.

JohnAndyB

>As far as I can remember it is disabled.  When you were testing, where you on your LAN and just using your external IP >address?

Yes, exactly this.

I think you're right, and the interface is disabled, and I was just using a wrong way of testing it.

Thanks, John

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

Most routers will deal with the external address internally when it's used from within the LAN, which is what you are seeing.  With a VPN you are creating a tunnel from the client to the server, and the traffic is directed through that tunnel, so the router doesn't see the use of your external address.  When doing that the request to your router would be coming from the servers at the other end of the VPN connection, and so would be hitting your router externally.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.