cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to adjust WiFi power and 802.11ac channel width on Plusnet Hub One router

alexvp

How to adjust WiFi power and 802.11ac channel width on Plusnet Hub One router

These are basic things but seems to be not available in Settings or Advanced settings.

Need to reduce WiFi power and reduce 802.11ac channel width from 80 to 40 or 20.

By the way, what's the default WiFi power on Plusnet Hub One? Feels like It's 20dBm.

Please advise how to manage these settings.

Alex

4 REPLIES 4
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: How to adjust WiFi power and 802.11ac channel width on Plusnet Hub One router

@alexvp  Welcome to the forum.

Budget ISP’s hubs are basic devices that meet the requirements of the majority of Internet users.

It looks like it is not adequate for your needs and you need to get a third party device with all your required features. You will find the settings here:  https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/broadband-connection-settings/

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

Re: How to adjust WiFi power and 802.11ac channel width on Plusnet Hub One router

@alexvp 

Use this link http://192.168.1.254/help.htm#HOME for Help

From what I can see there is no ability to change the wireless power, the bandwidth is 20MHz for 2.4GHz and 80MHz for 5GHz.

For 5GHz to reduce the bandwidth you will need to change the Wireless Interface Type, this will reduce the speed of the wireless connection.

802.11 a/n (up to 450 Mb/s) will make the 5GHz bandwidth 40GHz

HTH

Dan

alexvp

Hi Dan and Baldrick1,

Thanks for reply!

Right, I tried setting 450 and 217Mb/s, this helps to reduce the channel width, but the router ends up on 802.11n (WiFi-4) not the 802.11ac, so no more beam-forming and other useful features of 802.11ac (WiFi 5).

Regarding the WiFi power, I think any router I had in the past (in Canada) had this setting. Can this be added with the new firmware by chance? Reducing the power along with the channel width helps a lot with the noise level and other things. Also, many people are sensitive to WiFi radio and powerful WiFi source close by makes them feel a noticeable discomfort.

From my experience, reducing the power to even 1dBm provides great WiFi, in many cases better than 20dBm (because of less noise and less interference with neighbours WiFi).

Will try  to use my Asus router next to Plusnet Hub One then (something didn't work routing related when I tried last time), thanks for heads up.

Regards,

Alex

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

Back to back routers introduces double NAT which can make life difficult

https://windowsreport.com/double-nat/ 

Edit: Unlike the Hub Two the Hub One does not work in bridge mode

Dan.