Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How much for a new plusnet router?

FIXED
Swipe
Grafter
Fixes: 2

How much for a new plusnet router?

I'm a long standing Plusnet customer and have always used my own router. However, this router is now really long in the tooth and no longer getting firmware updates, so I need a new one. How much will it cost to get Plusnet to send me one of their routers and how do I go about getting one? I cant seem to raise an online request via the member centre.

I'm still currently in contract if that makes any difference.

14 REPLIES 14
Mav
Fixes: 514

Re: How much for a new plusnet router?

I'm not exactly sure but I think a replacement router costs over £40 but if you ring the Customer Options Team on 0800 013 2632 selecting option 1 then option 2 (If you are thinking of leaving) you may be able to get one for the cost of P&P but it may require you to re-contract.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

Your best option is give Customer Options a call and see what they can do. Delivery cost is £6.99.  

https://www.plus.net/help/my-account/thinking-of-leaving/

If you have FTTC fibre broadband, Plusnet supply the Hub One (BT Home Hub 5A) which is getting a bit long in the tooth, and 'may' (or may not be) replaced by a rebadged BT Smart Hub this year or next year.   I understand EE broadband has started supplying the Smart Hub to new customers.

https://youtu.be/wTDb_mjti84 🙂

If you have upto 17mb ADSL broadband, Plusnet continue to supply the very basic low spec Sagemcom 2704n. The Hub One works on ADSL broadband too.

You can also pick up Plusnet Hubs and BT hubs on eBay without any warranty.  You just need to manually enter your Plusnet account username & password to get them working on Plusnet broadband.

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Fix

Go onto EBay and buy a BT Smarthub 6 for about £30, You will find the simple set up instructions on this board and have a superior router to anything that Plusnet supplies.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Swipe
Grafter

Thanks for the replies. I'm on ADSL so glad to know about the basic router that I'd get if they did ship me one. I've currently hooked up my parents old BT home Hub 2 to test and will look out for a Home Hub 6.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi there.

Let us know if you have any issues setting up the Homehub 6 if you go for it.

However after reviewing your account I'm happy to send you a free router if you would like?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Swipe
Grafter

Thanks. Could you confirm which model of router would I be eligible to get for free?

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @Swipe,

We can send you a Plusnet Hub Zero Router if you'd like to accept this offer.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
Swipe
Grafter

How much would the postage cost be for that?
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

I hate being critical but... http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/plusnet/1403635/plusnet-hub-zero-2704n-review

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Postage and packaging for our routers is £6.99.

To be honest, I used the Hub Zero for some time a few years ago on my own fibre connection at home before the Hub One was released and I didn't encounter any problems.

With that said, there are a lot of environmental factors which can affect WiFi signal.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Swipe
Grafter

Just to update you all I bought a home hub 5 on ebay for £6 including postage.

Kimberlin
Rising Star

Personally, I'd still recommend to anyone on Plusnet, to get themselves a BT HH6. Mine was updated to the latest firmware just 2 weeks before I switched over to Plusnet. It's a far superior router to the HH5 which I was using before the HH6, the range is superb, well it is in my house anyway! and the range reaches right out into my back garden and the router is located in my sitting room. Plus the HH6 handles multiple devices very well. A great bit of kit all round.

LifeonMars
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

Swipe
Grafter

The HH5 wireless signal seems good enough for me. I live in a bungalow and can still get a decent range into the back garden where I sometimes sit in the sun with my phone in the evenings