cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High pitched router noise

Bewnans

High pitched router noise

Our router is making an intermittent high pitched noise - its driving me mad! Surely this isn't right..? Help appreciated!
8 REPLIES 8
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Re: High pitched router noise

Is it the Plusnet Hub One by any chance?

And do you have the 5GHz WiFi enabled ?

If yes to both, as a test, disable the 5Ghz WiFi and see if the noise goes away. The router guide is here https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/router-user-guides/ for instructions in how to log onto the router and change the WiFi settings.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
Bewnans

Hello, thank you for replying 😊. Yes it is the Hub One & everything is using the 5ghz. I'll try moving everything onto the 2.4 to test but surely 5ghz is better..? Does this ultimately come down to the Hub One being a lousy device? Thank you for your help.
Tags (4)
SpendLessTime
Hero

A quick test would be better. Just move 1 device to 2.4Ghz and then shutdown the 5Ghz to see if the noise goes away. Then put things back to normal.

A few people have complained on this forum that the Plusnet Hub One gives high pitched noises when the 5Ghz WiFi is enabled. Some of the others have had the Hub One replaced and the noise was not there on the replacement.

I would phone Plusnet up and ask for a replacement IF the quick test proves the point. 

If they refuse then complain, the details of how to are at https://www.plus.net/help/legal/complaints-code-of-practice/

quickbrew
Rising Star

@Bewnans

5Ghz can offer faster speeds but decays more quickly over distance than 2.4 Ghz. 

A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity.
An optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
Bewnans

Thank you for your help 😊
southerner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Mine's started making crackling sounds even with wireless totally switched off. Could it be a fault?

Also does anyone know if the TP Link fibre router's make these noises? It'seems strange my S7 makes no noises when it runs a 5GHz WiFi Direct connection to my TV.
SpendLessTime
Hero

@southerner

There should be no sound from any router. It is an electronic device so no moving parts. Nothing to create a sound in them.

southerner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Just an update. Plusnet replaced my router but the new one, as the support lady said might be the case, makes the same noises, especially when 5G WiFi is in use.

I picked up a TP-Link Archer VR600 from Amazon and that makes no noises ever. It also has quite a lot more configuration than the Hub One including DNS settings. It seems you can't have everything though as even though the VR600 has 3 directional antennas and is supposed to be 'beam forming' it's WiFi coverage is not as good as the Hub One's, at least here.