cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help buying just a modem

JohnFol1
Grafter

Help buying just a modem

Morning all, some years ago I installed an ASUS AI mesh network at home that relies on an external modem. I happened to have a HG612 modem (on BT Infinity2) and it's been working fine for years with my Plus.Net account. Today I get a fault that is tracked down to the modem.

The router does more than I will ever need so I'm after replacing just the modem. i.e. I don't want a new router that has modem built in.

Struggling to find "just a modem", so open to suggestions.....

13 REPLIES 13
JohnFol1
Grafter

Re: Help buying just a modem

Forgot to mention I do have a PlusNet Hub One that came with the subscription so of that can be put into Modem Only mode, I may have a solution

dvorak
Fixes: 1,484

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Broadband to My Router

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 396

The Hub One can't be put into modem only mode. The latest Hub 2 can be put into modem ( bridge ) mode . If you have recontracted recently or are willing to do so , then Plusnet will send you a Hub2 for the p & p cost of £6.99

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,484

The hub one can't do modem only, the hub2 can though.

Draytek do VDSL modems https://www.broadbandbuyer.com/store/modems/vdsl-fibre-modems/
or you might be able pick up a used BT one from eBay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2540003.m570.l1313&_nkw=bt+vdsl+modem&_sacat=0
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 396

@JohnFol1 the Tp link w9970 https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-Wireless-Support-UK-TD-W9970/dp/B013OXVA6M has a bridge mode function and had a good reputation for modem performance ( it looks awful though!! )

I used one in the past very sucessfully , in fact I still have it gathering dust! If you're willing to collect from NG10 ( near J25 M1 ) then you're welcome to it. Drop me a PM if you're interested.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 49

@JohnFol1 

Any HG612's going on EBay?

Brian

Anonymous
Not applicable

@JohnFol1 

My recommendation, would be to get a  DrayTek Vigor 130

While this model is a few years old now, they work very well on VDSL, and still get firmware updates

Now that many broadband enthusiasts are upgrading to FTTP, there are frequently immaculate condition used Vigor 130 modems being sold on eBay, often going for less than £40.

I particularly like this model, because of the 'hidden' line stability settings (that almost no other VDSL modem has !), and support for RFC-4638 (Jumbo Frames) to give your PPPoE connection the full capacity 1500 MTU.

Screenshot 2023-12-04 at 16-54-22 Vigor130 DrayTek.png

JohnFol1
Grafter

Many thanks for all the replies. FTTP is not yet an option so alternative vDSL recommendations have been appreciated
Anonymous
Not applicable

@JohnFol1  - what did you choose in the end ?

JohnFol1
Grafter

Turns out original engineer didn't improve things. 2nd engineer connected my line to different port in the street cabinet. Asus router still reported issue on modem so got a Plusnet Two, and put it in modem only mode.
Combination of both seems far more stable (no drops in service) and no warning on the RJ45 to modem
Thanks for following up.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good to know you got it working.

For what it's worth (for anyone else looking for a modem),  since recommending to you the Vigor 130,  I managed to get the much more recent  Vigor 166  - expecting it to be DrayTek's latest and greatest.  Unfortunately on my 80/20 SoGEA connection the Vigor 166 was significantly slower sync speed, and accumulating many more DSL errors than my Vigor 130, causing DLM to daily reduce my IP profile.  After trying everything, all the settings, different modem codes, cables, DrayTek support, etc  I gave up and put my old Vigor 130 back and DLM recovered !

DrayTek Vigor 130 is still my recommended modem !  😍

John_Hull
Aspiring Pro

You may see from a previous thread, that I've just had to reinstate my Plusnet Hub 1, after the BT Hub 6 I was using started to play up. I've just bought a Strong Atria Mesh set to play with (it was only around £33), so my question is, although the Hub 1 can't be put into bridge only mode, is there anything stopping me from leaving the redundant wifi operational, but switching to the Mesh for my wifi?

It may be worth leaving the cable connection to the Sky box, but I expect the Hive hub would need to be connected to the mesh along  with the various Echo devices and attached smart plugs and so on.

John_Hull
Aspiring Pro

OK. I think I've answered it for myself 🙂

I've set up the three mesh nodes; turned off the wifi on the Hub1 (I appreciate that if I ever want to turn it back on, I'll need to connect by network cable) and renamed the mesh wifi with my old wifi SSID and password, and everything seems to have connected.

I'll monitor what happens, and if it all goes belly up, I'm sure I'll be back whimpering for help😏