cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have dial tone but no internet

Velma
Hooked

Have dial tone but no internet

I got a phone line connected last week and even though there's a dialling tone, broadband hasn't worked since installation. The green light on the modem is flashing constantly. I have been on to plusnet many times but I'm not sure what the problem is. Last week they told me there was a fault on the line. Then I was told they were performing checks on the line and tonight after an online chat I was told an engineer would need to be sent out. The problem is if the fault is within the house I have to pay for the engineer but I'm not sure how to determine whether the fault is inside or out. As I say the phone has a dialling tone so it's working so is the fault most likely to be inside? I've been told that if the router is faulty, I will still have to pay for the engineer even though I've never had a chance to test the router because the service hasn't worked since installation. I don't think it's right that I should pay for an engineer if plusnet has sent me out a faulty router. I'd like a few suggestions as to how I can check my equipment. I'm a bit fed up with it all. 

15 REPLIES 15
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Re: Have dial tone but no internet

For some time now internal wiring faults down to customer, even though years ago may well have been installed by BT.

You need to use the Broadband Fault link as below.
To eliminate (internal wiring fault) you need to plug your router into the Test Socket on the BT/Openreach Master Socket...assuming you have one of course.

Remove the front part of the socket as image and plug router into socket showing on right Smiley

hqdefault

Velma
Hooked

Hi, when I take off the front plate there doesn't seem to be a test socket behind it. I've looked online and the stuff behind the front plate on my master socket is not corresponding with everybody else's!

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Who has told you that if it is a faulty router you will have to pay the engineer charge? If it's PN then I suggest that you contact them and ask for a replacement router to check this out before risking the charge. Alternatively a PN staffer may be along to comment on whether this is correct.

Having said this it sounds as if you have an old connector that was fitted prior to the modern generation 2 part devices. Could you post a picture here so that we can see what is fitted? If this is the case and you have extension wiring in the house then you are probably better off in the long term paying the engineer charge and getting a new 2 part socket fitted so that you can easily isolate your internal wiring for future maintainability.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Velma
Hooked

I talked to them earlier and they said they're not going to charge me if the router is faulty. I don't have an old connection box. It's quite new. I'm going to attach a pic so you can see it. I've taken the front plate off but as you can see there is no test socket behind the front plate. The only thing I can think is that maybe I will have to take another bit off? 

Velma
Hooked

phone socket.jpg

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

That is the latest type and your filter is plugged into the test socket. If the broadband doesn't work there it is a faulty router or a fault outside your premises so you shouldn't be charged.

Velma
Hooked

Are you sure my filter is plugged into the test socket? All I did was take off the front plate and plug the filter into exactly the same socket as before only without the front plate attached. I thought the test socket was behind the frontplate to the bottom right so when I took off the front plate that's what I was expecting but, as I say, there was no other socket behind the front plate except the one that I'd plugged it into previously.

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Sorry - edited reply as I was responding to the wrong post.

EDIT: Was replying to right post just got confused. I can see now what the OP means now - there doesn't appear to be one. The BT box looks quite modern.

Alex
Community Veteran

Ah but I guess there is a socket on the faceplace which plugs into there?
So I'd imagine that would be the test one.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

This is the latest NTE5c outlet. Two types of clip on front panels are available, a single telephone socket or a version with a built in filter and both ADSL and telephone sockets.

When you do your tests do not have anything connected into the filter telephone socket. The other potential problem is a faulty filter, do you have a spare you can try?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Velma
Hooked

HI, there's just a single telephone socket on the front. I am going to buy a new filter to see if that is the problem but the one I am using is new. It was sent to me by plusnet along with the router. I've never had a chance to confirm if the filter and the router are working because broadband hasn't worked since installation. YOu said this is a new box. Does that mean there is no test socket on it? As I said previously, the inside of this box isn't conforming to what the inside of other boxes look like. Some people are saying the filter is already plugged into the test socket but the socket that it's plugged into in the pic is the same socket as it's plugged into when the front plate is attached. The only thing connected to the filter is the phone and the router. No extension leads or anything. I also unplugged the phone from the filter to see if that would allow broadband to work but it didn't! 

Alex
Community Veteran

Can you try it with no filter - if no difference I assume you'd need to raise a fault.

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

As I said before the filter is plugged into the test socket. It is the same socket that the front plate plugs into. There is no other socket.

Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29