cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firmware update on Hub One

clairebates1987

Firmware update on Hub One

Hi,

I've been having a lot of WiFi problems for a while with 2.5GHz (it's v slow and drops out repeatedly so I can't even participate in calls with it), the 5Ghz works better but not everything can connect to it.

Someone said updating the firmware might help, mine seems to have been the same for a while:

"Plusnet Hub One | Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.237.2.2 | Last updated 11/08/17"

Is there a way to update this?

Thanks,

Claire.

10 REPLIES 10
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Re: Firmware update on Hub One

Thanks for getting in touch @clairebates1987

That's a very old firmware version your router has and it looks like it has dropped off our remote management platform.

Can you PM me the serial number and MAC address of the router? You can find this on a sticker on the bottom of the router

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
viffergb
Grafter

Hi

Apologies for butting in, but I have similar issues to 'clairebates1987' with my mobile (Samsung Galaxy A71) and my wife's 'Lenovo P10' tablet struggling at times to hold a Wi-Fi connection over very short distances, especially the Lenovo.

My 'Plusnet Hub One' displays Software Version as being '4.7.5.1.83.8.263 Last updated 18/02/19' and I feel sure there must have been update(s) issued since then!

Is it possible that my router has also dropped off your remote management platform?

Should I PM you with my router's Serial No. and MAC address?

Thanks.
Graham

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Hi Graham, thanks for getting in touch and I'm sorry to hear you've been having connection issues also as of recent. It sounds like your router has also missed the firmware update, in which case I've pushed this through to our products team who should get the update pushed out to your router in the next 3-5 working days at most. Should you continue to see issues beyond this point then please let us know.
In the meantime, the steps below on splitting apart your wireless frequencies should help in the meantime.

1) To connect to your Hub One, you will need to open a browser and go to 192.168.1.254 If you have any issues doing this via Wireless, we recommend trying to do it via Ethernet cable instead.

2) You should come to a page with information about your connection, click 'Advanced Settings' at the top and it will ask you to sign in with a Password. This is located on the back of your router under 'Admin Password'

3) Select the option for 'Wireless' followed by '5 GHz Wireless'.

4) To split up the frequencies:
What we want to do to begin with is turn 'Sync with 2.4 GHz Wireless' to 'No' and update the SSID to be different. The easiest way would be to add '-5G' to the end so it is identified as its own connection.

Hopefully this helps and as mentioned should you continue seeing issues then please don't hesitate getting back in touch.

viffergb
Grafter

Hi Ben

Thanks for your reply.

I came across this thread and a couple of others when I thought I'd just check here on the Community to see if any reports of what I have been experiencing for quite a few months had been seen by others, and was surprised to find so many!  At least it's not down to 'finger trouble' on my part 😉.

I'm seeing all the problems as detailed in Bob Pullen's very comprehensive post here 

I appreciate your pushing a request through to the products team for any missed firmware updates.  Are they able to do this without having me supplied my hub's serial no. and MAC address?

I've gone ahead and split the frequencies and I've also increased the lease time to the maximum of 21 days as something worth trying as was suggested by Bob in his post.  At present I've held off from disabling '5GHz Wireless' for the time being and avoiding rebooting the router.  I'd like to see what happens over the next few days with what I've tried thus far..

Graham

viffergb
Grafter

Still experiencing the same issues as when I first picked up my mobile this morning in the bedroom to check emails etc. it just wasn't able to establish a connection to the Hub 1 and I had to use the mobile network instead.  This has been the typical behaviour I've encountered for many months now.

The Hub 1 is only some 25 feet from the bedroom with no thick walls between.  Ours is a small bungalow with the Hub 1 centrally placed.

It would appear that despite setting the lease time to 21 days and separating the 2.4GHz and 5GHz frequencies, this has had no beneficial effect, so I am now going to disable the 5GHz for the time being as I really want reliable Wi-Fi connection and operation, and as far as I know, I have no Wi-Fi devices that can only run on 5GHz....however, I am about to find out for sure!

Also going to dig out an old BT hub I have and see if it's a HH6.  If it is, I think I'll try using that until such times as this issue has been sorted.

viffergb
Grafter

My old BT router is a HH5.  Is that worth trying?

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

@viffergb 

The Plusnet Hub One is a repurposed Home Hub 5A. However the firmware is different so it might be worth trying.

BT Smarthubs have better, stable WiFi and are cheap from auction sites. 

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

viffergb
Grafter

Thanks @Baldrick1 👍

viffergb
Grafter

Now connected up to and using my old BT Home Hub 5 with both 2.4GHz and 5GHz synced and using the same SSID as per default settings.

Devices connected are working fine so far.  Will keep an eye on things over the coming days.

Software version is dated 06/01/16 so I hope it's safe to use!

viffergb
Grafter

Early days I know, but so far so good when using the old BT Home Hub 5A.  Haven't experienced any 5GHz dropouts or issues over the last 18 hours 🤞