cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Faulty router

rogerwilson
Dabbler

Faulty router

I have a Technicolour TG582n router. Apart from making an annoying buzzing sound when the WiFi is passing data, it's been fine for years. However recently I've been having intermittent failure of the WiFi and Ethernet so that there's no Internet access from any device in the house. Repeatedly trying to reconnect the WiFi from say, a phone, never works. The only solution is to cycle the power of the router which, so far, has proved to be successful.

Logging into the router and performing the Connectivity Check always produces a red cross against Internet with the Connectivity to Gateway (195.166.130.251) shown. See picture. I get this result even when the connectivity to the Internet is fine as far as I can tell.

The broadband seems OK. It's been tested recently after a previous occurrence of this problem so I have to believe it's an intermittent router fault.

I've had this one for years. Can someone at PlusNet send me a new one please? Thanks,

Roger Wilson

11 REPLIES 11
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Re: Faulty router

They may send you one and charge P+P, or you could open your wallet. PN don't
provide perpetual free routers like most ISP's.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Sorry to hear that Roger.

I'm afraid we can't just send you a new router out.

I'd recommend speaking with our Customer Options Team as they may be able to send you a new router out if you take a new contract out with ourselves.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
rogerwilson
Dabbler

Ok thanks Matthew.

So much for being a customer for the past 11 years!

Roger.
BillyCool
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

@rogerwilson - your router is pretty old to be fair. PN can send out their latest router but, to be honest, it's not that great. They also usually charge about £6.99 P&P.

A lot of folk are buying BT HH6's for about £30 new from eBay etc and they are so much better. Dual band and a much greater range. I know you've got to spend the money but it really is so much better.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi Roger.

If you want we'll be happy to arrange a call back to renew your contract for a new router.

Send me a PM with your best contact number if you'd like to go ahead.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
rogerwilson
Dabbler

Thanks for the replies but this is actually a complicated situation.

I was on a Home Phone Anytime deal but that was made obsolete last month so I'm now on a Talk Anytime deal. This is £8 more expensive so it's being discounted for 12 months to keep the cost the same. It appears though that I've been signed up for another 12 months (11 remain) because of this so agreeing a new contract in order to get a new router doesn't seem to be possible.

The router that is now supplied by PlusNet seems to be very poor if comments are to be believed, particularly in terms of WiFi range. If this is what would be supplied, do I really want one?!

There are better deals according to uSwitch and I'd be supplied with a new router as part of signing up.

Maybe the question now is, if I now switched to Talk Talk or The Post Office, would it cost anything to leave PlusNet?

Thanks,

Roger.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

If you get the email advising of the forthcoming price rise then providing you tell Plusnet within 30 days then you can leave without penalty, else you will be hit with cancellation charges. 

Rather then going through this hassle why not go onto Ebay and spend about £30 on a BT Smart Hub 6. You will end up with a better router than any ISP will ‘give’ you 

Alternatively of course a Plusnet staffer may come along and arrange a freebie for you. However if you’re on standard broadband it will only be a Hub Zero which is in my opinion is not worth the P and P charge.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi Roger.

It looks like a new contract was incorrectly applied as a result of changing your call package to a current one.

I've removed the minimum term length now so if you choose to leave us there won't be an early termination charge.

Due to the length of time you've been with us as a gesture of goodwill I've sent you a replacement router now for free.

I hope this helps.

Anoush

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
rogerwilson
Dabbler

Hello Anoush,

Thanks for that. Good to get the contract mistake sorted and I appreciate the new router which arrived today. I notice it's a 2704N rather than the much criticised Zero or One or whatever it's called which is probably good for both of us.

Regards,

Roger.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problems Roger, the 2704N is actually the same as the Hub Zero. It’s just a more technical name. I personally used that type of router for some time and I didn’t have any issues with it so hopefully it serves you well. Smiley
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
BillyCool
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

@rogerwilson - give the router a go and see how you get on. They aren't brilliant to be honest.

The HH6 is a great router and for c.£30 you can't go far wrong. An option if you decide you do want something a bit sportier (and dual band).