cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC and BT Openreach EchoLife HG612 3B Modem

RobP174

FTTC and BT Openreach EchoLife HG612 3B Modem

Hi,

I'm been having some trouble with my wireless internet so I bought a new TP-Link router and a EchoLife HG612 modem to interface with my DSL socket. However I'm struggling to get it work, I was expecting it to be plug and play however plugging it all in the modem powers up but the DSL light doesn't turn on. Tried pressing the reset button but that didn't appear to do anything.

Is the modem actually compatible with Plusnet fibre and if so is there some sort of configuration I need to setup?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

4 REPLIES 4
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: FTTC and BT Openreach EchoLife HG612 3B Modem

@RobP174  Welcome to the forum.

Yes, it's just plug and play. I'm not sure what the DSL light does, I assume that you have bought the Model 3B HG612, the early models were troublesome. I haven't used one for a long time. Maybe you've bought a dead 'un?

Note that you need to set the router up with your Plusnet credentials.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

RobP174

I initially connected it up and try connecting with my plusnet details and that didn't work, then I noticed that the DSL light wasn't on, power and LAN light were on so expecting the DSL light to come on as well, but no guarantee of that. Possible that I've got a broken modem but would be good to able to diagnose if it faulty or not.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@RobP174 

Are you sure that you have set the router up correctly, settings are here https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/broadband-connection-settings/?

Note that ADSL uses PPPoA and fibre PPPoE.

Possibly the DSL light only comes on when you complete the connection. I assume that the HG612 is an ex Openreach labelled device preconfigured for the modem WAN output to be routed through LAN1 and you are connecting the LAN 1 port on the HG612 to the router WAN port?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Den1
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

My guess is you have a faulty unit, the modem is plug and play no configuration to do, have you checked the cables are ok ?