cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extending WiFi signal using a second router ?

FIXED
phil_the
Grafter

Extending WiFi signal using a second router ?

Before we moved house a coupe, of years ago I had set up a second router to extend the wireless range to the other end of the house. Our new house is smaller so I haven't needed to do this, but I have converted an outbuilding to an office and would now like to extend the WIFI to there.

I have two routers (we had two sent when we moved for some reason). I no longer have the old routers that I used before, and the newer ones don't seem to have as many options to configure. If I recall correctly, one of the first things you need to do is alter one of the router's IP address so that they don't conflict, but I can't find this option.

Any advice appreciated.

both routers are SAGEMCOM model 2704N.

12 REPLIES 12
daveplus
Pro
Fixes: 10

Re: Extending WiFi signal using a second router ?

phil_the
Grafter

Yes I saw that. First thing it says is to change the IP address. I can't find that option on this router.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Fix

You need to get past the Plusnet micky mouse GUI and enter the Sagecom settings by going into its expert mode. See https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Router-hidden-settings-access/m-p/1213597#M14389

When in there switch off DCHP and change the IP address.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

Hi @phil_the

There's no way to do this via the standard interface, although Sagemcom routers have a hidden menu system that will likely allow you to make these changes. You should be able to access this via - http://192.168.1.254/expert_user

EDIT: @Baldrick1 got there before me. 

phil_the
Grafter

OK Thanks both, I'll go and try it now.

wotsup
Seasoned Champion

We extended our WiFi by getting a couple of homeplugs and plug one in next to router and the other one ( WiFi extender bit ) into power socket in shed. You probably already considered this, but it works great.

phil_the
Grafter

Thanks, I have considered that, and might still look into it.

@wotsup wrote:

We extended our WiFi by getting a couple of homeplugs and plug one in next to router and the other one ( WiFi extender bit ) into power socket in shed. You probably already considered this, but it works great.

phil_the
Grafter

I marked this as fixed as I was able to find the option to change the IP address using the expert_user.html page on the router. However I'm still not able to get the two routers to connect on the wifi. I don't really want to have to run a cable outside to join the two routers. Is there anything I might have missed to get this working?

(It is complicated by the fact that the broadband has dropped out a few times whilst I've been playing with this. I presume that is coincidence rather than anything to do with me looking at the router settings.)

Phil

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

However I'm still not able to get the two routers to connect on the wifi. I don't really want to have to run a cable outside to join the two routers. Is there anything I might have missed to get this working?

You won't be able to connect the routers togther via Wifi. You will either need to run a cable or use homeplugs as suggested above. You could either use the homeplugs with builtin wifi or just connect the two routers using basic homeplugs.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

phil_the
Grafter

Thanks, although I am sure I have done this in the past but it was a number of years ago with a different router. I guess what I'm trying to set-up is a repeater or a bridge rather than an access point. 

As you say, the powerline network option might be the best way to go, although it's frustrating when you've done something before with much older hardware, and find that more modern equipment seems to have less functionality.

phil

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

I guess what I'm trying to set-up is a repeater or a bridge rather than an access point. 

You are, and I'm afraid the 2704N just can't do that.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

phil_the
Grafter

Thanks.

phil