cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extending WiFi signal using a second router ?

Kriggi

Extending WiFi signal using a second router ?

We upgraded to FTTC with Plusnet and all is working great except for the range of the router. It can't reach the furthest part of our house and I'm hoping to use an old router as a range extender connected to the Plusnet Hub One by ethernet.

However no matter how hard I try I can't seem to get it to work. I've tried it with various routers as the extender (Netgear DG834PN, Billion 7800N and another Plusnet Hub one) but none of them work. 

I've spoken to Plusnets technical guys and they say it's outside the scope of their training so can't get an answer to see if it's possible.

So has anyone else managed to use a second router to extend their wireless range whilst using the Hub One as the main router?

7 REPLIES 7
Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Re: Extending WiFi signal using a second router ?

This should point you in the right direction if you substitute another Plus One router with one of yours.

Kriggi

Thanks Brownie

I'll give it a go tonight and let you know how I got on.

DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

(Only posting as a just in case)

I've been known to dabble with using hubs (BTHH 2,3,4 and 5's) by connecting them as slaves to the primary hub. These hubs also work as a slave when connected to a primary Sky router too.

I currently have a PN Hub One as the primary and a BT Hub with no issues whatsoever:)

A note in case you're not sure - To carry out a full factory reset of the Plusnet Hub (your slave) you need to press and hold the reset button on the rear until the lights go out (around 20 seconds or so). Previously, some users did not wait long enough.

Kriggi

Okay, so I've used a second Plusnet Hub One and tried setting it up as per the recommendation from Brownie (thanks Brownie). It sort of works!

The second Hub One constantly display an orange light with a red 'b' underneath. I can connect wirelessly to it (I named the wifi differently on this router to the main Plusnet Hub One router so I know it's working) however when I connect it says 'No internet connection'.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

You're not doing anything wrong!

When it's working as an access point it doesn't make the connection to the internet, the other router takes care of that. This has the unfortunate side effect that the routers homepage will say it's disconnected and it will display that horrible orange LED Sad

Any devices you connect to it whether by WiFi or ethernet should have internet access.

DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

You shouldn't be seeing any flashing lights....Shocked

Primary Hub with an Ethernet cable in either of the 4 rear Gig Ethernet ports (yellow) and the other end also in to any of the 4 rear Gig Ethernet ports (NOT the red Broadband one) <- this is assuming the Plusnet Hubs are identical inside to their big brother (BT).

Kriggi

Thanks Brownie, The orange light is a little off putting but the fact i can see the wireless networks is reassuring. The problem is that although my wireless devices can see the wifi network from the second router and connect to it there isn't any internet connection. 

I've been doing a little more digging and someone has mentioned that windows devices connect okay wirelessly but they can't get Apple devices to get an internet connection, guess what, we're using Apple!