cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Energy wastage concerns from router hub light

Jas1

Energy wastage concerns from router hub light

I'm aware that it's possible to reduce the brightness of the blue light a little on the Hub Manager, and that putting a bit of tape over it dims the brightness to reduce disturbance. My concern is for the planet. If every Plusnet user has their hub on all the time (as we are told to do), this is pointless energy wastage, and the planet is facing an global warming crisis due to excessive energy usage. My query is also to the hub hardware team - Is it possible to (design a means to) configure the light so that it goes onto very dim, or even off (even better off at night and dim during the day)? It may seem like a small thing, but when thousands of us do it, it makes a big difference. Is anyone else concerned about this?

3 REPLIES 3
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: Energy wastage concerns from router hub light

@Jas1 

You are clearly unaware of how little energy this lamp consumes compared with the standard consumption of the hub. I would estimate in the region of 0.1%.

With the Amazon rain forest being cleared by burning and the Chinese etc. building coal fired  power stations, I fear that you’re on the wrong track.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

To give an idea of how energy saving our routers are, power consumption when they’re being used is 9.69w. More information HereAppreciate the concern though. 

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

@Jas1 wrote:

My concern is for the planet.

If one measured the power consumed by a router, and then the same router with one LED extinguished, the difference would hardly be measurable.

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)