Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DSLstats Odd

pvmb
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

DSLstats Odd

Possibly more a DSLstats than a router issue.

I have a Technicolor TG582n router and use DSLstats v6.5 (which I have been using for ages) running in Windows 8. For reasons unknown my IP address has been fixed for years and is still reported as the same if I log on to the TG582n and see the Internet Connection details.

Suddenly I found yesterday DSLstats won't return my external IP address from the router: "Unable to determine IP address". Apart from that it seems to be working OK.

I have not AFAIK changed anything in DSLstats and restarting it does not change anything. Also router was off overnight and restarted this morning, same situation. Anybody any ideas?

TIA.

6 REPLIES 6
seebee
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 9

Re: DSLstats Odd

I've use DSLstats for years (6.5.9 on a Raspberry PI). As it happens I've not used it for a few weeks as I've been messing about swapping out routers and modems, but I've just fired it up and am seeing the same.

It looks like when you click the "Get IP address" in the program it goes off to check by trying to run a "ipaddress.py" script on a host web107.extendcp.co.uk / dslstats.me.uk but that site is returning an error.

So it looks like a problem on that website, causing DSLstats to be unable to tell your current IP address.

Anonymous
Not applicable

It is a long time since I've used programs such as DSLstats, so I'm just thinking out loud here.

You say that you can connect from your Windows PC to the TG582n via a web browser to confirm the IP address,  that would be using HTTP protocol.

Programs like DSLstats usually use Telnet protocol to send command line instructions to fetch the data.

Have you tried opening a DOS command window or other Telnet utility (such as "PuTTY"), to see whether you can login to the TG582n and get responses to Telnet commands such as "adsl info --stats" when typed at a command prompt ?

I'm wondering if either Windows or the TG582n have "lost" some setting that allows Telnet to communicate ?

EDIT: having read the previous reply, are you saying that DSLstats is working fine other than being able to report the router's WAN IP address ?,  or is DSLstats not communicating with the router to retrieve status ?

seebee
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 9

I read the OP as meaning everything is working fine, reporting stats etc apart from the button that DSLstats has to show your current Internet IP address. DSLstats can't ask your modem for your Internet IP address as it doesn't have an Internet IP (only a local IP to the local management interface), the Internet IP would typically be in the separate router. So DSLstats goes off to the Internet to ask a website what your Internet address appears to be (effectively the same as going to ipinfo.io / ipchicken.com / any other similar service). It looks like the site it has hard-coded for this is not currently answering.

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

Just to confirm, I'm seeing the same - all OK apart from the "Unable to determine IP address" message.

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
pvmb
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

@Anonymous wrote:

Programs like DSLstats usually use Telnet protocol to send command line instructions to fetch the data.

Have you tried opening a DOS command window or other Telnet utility (such as "PuTTY"), to see whether you can login to the TG582n and get responses to Telnet commands such as "adsl info --stats" when typed at a command prompt ?

With the (complex!) TG582n command set it's:

ip iplist

This does show the external IP address listed under: 'Interface' xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx - Internet

So DSLstats could get the IP address direct from the TG582n router. For some reason (simpler?), as described in a previous post, it seems to have been programmed to use a general, non router specific, method of getting it. Which now seems to have gone AWOL.

Anyway, thanks again to all.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Mine is also the same, unable to get IP address, but other stats are fine.